Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Spirituality & Polyamory

Notices

Old 02-23-2013, 03:34 PM

Smile hello

I just found this site, and I really needed the hug effect of someone else who has understand the Word God gave us with out the twisting that so often happens.

Thank you for this thread, I am near to tears with joy and releif of finding someone who can understand.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:45 PM

Cool Biblical Polygyny is what we believe too

I am the wife in a MF couple who believes in one man and many women (in our case limiting it to two only women). We believe Polyamory was and is a practice that God blessed but not required of mankind. It is a calling to those who can understand and open their hearts to others. We are thinking about starting a Biblical Poyamory Bible study in our home soon after getting set up first. please add me to any email or groups discussing this issue.

annette1971tx@Pro-Polygamy.NET
Old 11-03-2013, 08:42 PM

I was just wondering if you would limit "biblical polyamory" to being one man and multiple women, or if it is acceptable for it to be one woman and two men, for instance. I know that we only see the example of one man and multiple women in the Bible, but is that the only form that would be acceptable?
Old 11-03-2013, 08:56 PM

Thumbs up Polyamory vs polygamy vs biblical polygamy

There is a difference between the terms that can help us understand.

Polyamory is multiple loves. It doesn't really have a set guideline of configuration. It can have can be a person with many individual loves, a couple who date together or separately, or any M or F or T(trans) configurations.

Polygamy is a relationship with multiple(3 or more) people that wish to be married to each other.

Biblical polygamy is a man and multiple women. It states that a man should have their own wife and husband have their own husband. But in the old testament the meaning for the two "their" is different. for the man to the woman is means master over, like his property. he can have as many wives or property as he liked. for a woman it reflects ownership, as in she has one owner. Jesus is the master and as churches we are his children. many children/churches are included but only the one master is allowed.

Hopefully that clears up what I understand the differences to mean.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:22 PM

Except as I understand it, there is only one church, and Jesus will be married to the church, so not sure this example will hold water.

You are basically saying that it's not acceptable for a woman to want to be married to more than one man, and that it's because women were basically property. Geez. But women are not property anymore, so why would it not be acceptable for a woman to want to marry more than one man?
Old 11-03-2013, 09:50 PM

Default The second command is linked and equal to the first most important command

"biblical polyamory" as defined by Jesus is to love our neighbor as ourselves. Or to not be co-dependent and always inter-dependent.

My wife and I meet with a clinical social worker on a regular basis to help us maintain our equilibrium. It's been dynamic and interesting journey. Understanding each other and helping each other learn how to love and be loved.

A non co-dependent relationship requires honesty and empathy without being judgmental.

Jesus commanded us to have healthy relationships.

How on earth could I as a man who loves so many women restrict my wife to loving only me and think for one minute that I am loving my wife as much as I love myself?

Using Jewish customs to arrive at a model of interaction between any couple defies logic.

When they tortured and killed Him Jesus asked His Father to forgive them because they didn't know what they were doing.

Anyone who continues to adhere to Jewish or any other political, cultural or religious tradition that brings us into conflict with Christ's command to love our neighbor as ourselves is mistaken and doesn't know what they are doing to countless numbers of people who long to touch and be touched.

We children must behave ourselves and love each other as much as we love ourselves.

Tall order for all of us.

But with a little practice, a lot of honesty, good counseling we're having fun learning and practicing the skills we will have in eternity where we will obey Him and love each other perfectly.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:15 AM

Default 2 good links

http://www.godrules.net/articles/polygamy.htm

http://www.blainerobison.com/concerns/polygamy.htm

Both links are excellent and scholarly, I often direct seeking Christians to these links.
I try to love my wives this way, unconditionally! Husbands love your wives, even as Christ loved the church, and gave himself up for her. Eph. 5:25
Old 12-18-2013, 01:58 PM

Default Sola Scripturia

Since legislation like DOMA is no longer the law of the land in the US, conservative evangelicals are now turning their opposition against all forms of poly relationships. They do so at their own risk of course, since eventually their own belief in the infalability of scripture as the basis of life and belief, will be turned against them.
>
http://www.elizabethesther.com/2011/...hristians.html
I try to love my wives this way, unconditionally! Husbands love your wives, even as Christ loved the church, and gave himself up for her. Eph. 5:25
Old 12-20-2013, 07:18 AM
Official Greeter

I'll speak not necessarily of what I believe, but of what the Bible says as I was raised to understand it and according to my own thoughts as I read the passages in question.

Re (from men):
Quote:
"16. He told her, 'Go, call your husband and come back.'
17. 'I have no husband,' she replied.
Jesus said to her, 'You are right when you say you have no husband. 18. The fact is, you have had five husbands, and the man you now have is not your husband. What you have just said is quite true.'

Was Jesus against cohabitation?"
Possibly, but one couldn't gather as much just based on those verses. I don't think Jesus was the type of guy who'd be sarcastic or purposely give someone a bad time, much less play some kind of mind game with them. I think his only intention here was to demonstrate to this woman that he was no ordinary man, that she could believe that he could see into her very soul. That's my take on it anyway.

When reading in that context, one could imagine that Jesus probably spoke to her in tones of compassion and understanding, not of judgment or condemnation. Jesus, being in a better position than any man to pass judgment, paradoxically had the least judgmental personality of perhaps any man you could ever meet. As loveboston pointed out: Jesus, while hanging on the cross in unspeakable agony, prayed for those most guilty for putting him there and said, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."

Elsewhere in the Gospels we read of a woman, who'd been caught in the act of adultery, being dragged before Jesus. Hoping to ensare Jesus with a damned-if-I-do/damned-if-I-don't question, the men holding her pointed out that the venerable Mosaic Law, issued by God, demanded that such a woman be stoned to death. "But what do you think we should do?" they asked Jesus. Jesus, after thinking his own private thoughts and writing in the dirt with a stick, stood up and said, "Let he who is without sin among you cast the first stone."

Well of course no one there -- except Jesus -- was without sin, and they all knew it. Slowly, one by one, the crowd dispersed, leaving only Jesus and the woman. Jesus said, "Where are your accusers? Doesn't any man remain to accuse you?" and she said, "No man, Lord," rather suggesting that she recognized Jesus' divine nature. Then Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you; go your way, and sin no more."

So, we see that Jesus didn't condemn the adulteress, but, he didn't condone the adultery either. He did advise her to refrain from doing it again. Which tells me that he didn't necessarily reject the Mosaic Law, nor that he didn't have traditional scruples about certain sexual practices; but that he chose to forgive rather than to condemn people. Which indeed is what the "good news" of the Gospels is all about: that God is willing to understand, sympathize, and forgive. No need to stone someone to death if God has forgiven them.

By the way, that's two examples where Jesus spoke kindly and respectfully to two different women. Pretty good considering he lived in a place and time where women were just property. He even assumed the very Western attitude of extending a tender heart towards his mother when he was hanging on the cross. She and one of his twelve disciples were staring up at him, and instead of mentioning his own plight, his first thought was to see that his mom would be okay. "Behold thy mother," he said to the disciple, and to his mother, "Behold thy son!"

That's all for now ... Got to turn in ...
Old 02-13-2014, 02:11 AM

Default Another Good Link

When I outed myself to my brother, he regurgitated the teachings of man and condemned me. He's now had a change of heart and mind, and now defends my choices, and has sent me this link that got him studying God's word and not simply accepting what the church teaches.
>
http://www.biblepolygamy.com/