View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 05:05 PM

I do NOT want to high-jack this thread into an Irving/LeGuin love-feast, so I hope that this will be my last comment here about them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackUnicorn View Post
Silly enough but I feel that both HNH and CHR are such excellent pieces of literature that I don't want to read anything else by Irving for the fear of it being less than what I expected. I did enjoy the World According to Garp and found the early three novels interesting, but haven't had the nerve to read anything written after Cider House Rules.
I think that - aside from that awful first novel, “Setting Free The Bears” – you can read anything by Irving without fear of being disappointed. [I haven’t read the 2nd or 3rd, but apparently you have.] I myself was rather leery about 2 of the main themes in “A Prayer For Owen Meany” (religion and the military), but I’ve read it at least 3 times now and it never fails to bring a lump to the throat and moisture (at the very least) to the eyes. Irving has a talent for helping us to overcome our prejudices and hasty assumptions. He presents his characters as real 3D human beings, and even when we disapprove of their actions, he makes us understand – even in the case of the philandering arsehole of “A Widow For One Year” – their reasons for those actions.

Which is why, if he ever did champion the cause of polyamory, he’d be an excellent ally in making the concept acceptable to the general public.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackUnicorn View Post
Sorry, short-stories. The two I have read can be found in the short-story collection Birthday of the World.
Ah, yes! We mustn’t forget the quality of LeGuin’s short story writing. One of her short stories once had me literally trembling with paranoia and I was afraid to go to bed… but anxious to fall asleep in order to escape from thinking too much of the implications of that story. And "The Wife's Story" from the collection “The Compass Rose” is one of the best examples that I’ve ever read of a story's looking at a well-worked theme from a totally different perspective. (The writing is so good and the twist is so unexpected, that I would be giving the game away if I said anything more than: "Read it, it's GREAT!")

Although it’s been decades since I read “The Dispossessed”, I’m sure that the anarchist revolutionaries on the moon Anarres were very poly-friendly (way ahead - as with much of LeGuin's literature - of their time).
- old Chinese proverb
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
~ Anais Nin
I'd rather have a broken heart / Than have a heart of stone.
- from "Boundless Love (A Polyamory Song)" by Jimmy Hollis i Dickson