Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 02-17-2011, 12:25 PM

Default poly books and stories (also films) for children

Please read this first post before you comment (reason below)

3 points move me to create this thread:

a) There are polyamorous people on here with children.

b) I believe all revolutions are doomed to fail unless they can win over the younger generations. So much of children's culture - where it concerns love - is based on the ideal of a monogamous relationship. ("Happily Ever After" / all children in the stories are children of monogamous parents...)

c) I myself - without having children - write stories for them. [For me, children ("other people's children") are the most precious and important aspect of my life. And I take their literature very seriously. There is so much crap out there!] Although I haven't dealt with polyamory as such in my own stories (yet), I have tried to discourage that fairy-tale ending of "once you have found your one-and-true love, all your problems are solved" and the idea that - until you do find that one REAL love, you are unfulfilled as a person.

I would be intersted in any recommendations - and I can't think of any right now off the top of my head. (Added to which: I have to leave my Internet connection soon - until next week - and have other on-line stuff to deal with.)

Please indicate if the book, short story (in which collection? / can it be found in its entirety on Internet? give link) or film that you recommend presents an actual polyamorous situation in a positive light - code: - has a definite feeling sympathetic to the ideals of polyamory - code: - or is generally questioning (in a positive way) about stereotyped sexual roles - code (you guessed it!): . In the last case, some explanation would be nice (e.g. "openly sympathetic to non-hetero forms of sexuality"). Please also indicate the target age-range.
- old Chinese proverb
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
~ Anais Nin
I'd rather have a broken heart / Than have a heart of stone.
- from "Boundless Love (A Polyamory Song)" by Jimmy Hollis i Dickson
Old 02-17-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFarFromRight View Post
Please read this first post before you comment (reason below)
Great thread topic and this statement really caught my eye. Do you believe that Poly is a revolution? If so could you start a thread on that so we don't sidetrack your original post?

Take care

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 02-22-2011, 04:16 AM

Yay! Look, I can actually provide real information for once!

Love You Two, by Maria Pallotta-Chiarolli
for Young Adults (the protagonist is 16)

Excerpt from the first customer review on amazon.com: "Love You Two is the first novel from Australian academic and researcher Maria Pallotta-Chiarolli. When an average teenage girl accidentally discovers that her mother is polyamorous - she has a boyfriend in addition to her husband, and all three partners are open and honest about the situation - her rage and confusion drive her into a tale of self-discovery and personal growth, and triggers a chain reaction that brings down the many walls of secrecy among her family and friends."

I should also point out that I haven't read it, but I did hear about the book from the author herself. And an attempt to find books on polyamory for younger children on Amazon brought up books that argue against same-sex marriage and polyamory...my brain feels dirty....

Last edited by Lemondrop; 02-22-2011 at 04:49 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:42 AM

There are three books for younger children listed at http://www.polychromatic.com/kids.html. The reviews there are wonderful and I recommend that you take a look if you're interested, and the links to buy them are there as well.

Else-Marie and Her Seven Little Daddies by Gabrielle Charbonnet and Pija Lindenbaum
Amazon recommends ages 4-7

"Else-Marie and Her Seven Little Daddies recounts the day the seven little daddies get drafted to pick Else-Marie up from play-group..."

Six-Dinner Sid by Inga Moore
Amazon recommends ages 4-8

"Six-Dinner Sid is a happy cat that has six families in his life, none of who know about each other. He gets six dinners, he has six places to sleep, he's a happy cat, until..."

The Little House That Ran Away From Home
from Strange Stories For Strange Kids (Little Lit, Book 2) by Art Spiegelman
Amazon recommends ages 9-12

"This collection contains the story The Little House that Ran Away From Home, which definitely has a poly theme... "

Last edited by Lemondrop; 02-22-2011 at 04:48 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemondrop View Post
Else-Marie and Her Seven Little Daddies by Gabrielle Charbonnet and Pija Lindenbaum
Amazon recommends ages 4-7

"Else-Marie and Her Seven Little Daddies recounts the day the seven little daddies get drafted to pick Else-Marie up from play-group..."
I read another book by Pija Lindenbaum, "Mini Mia And Her Darling Uncle" (though I read it in Catalan), which gets a - It's about Mia coming to terms with her jealousy over her favourite uncle's new boyfriend.

The Princess Who Stood On Her Own Two Feet” by Jeanne Desy.
I read it in an anthology of feminist fairy tales, “Don’t Bet On The Prince” (edited by Jack Zipes), but it can also be found on-line at http://www.tallwomen.org/contents/princess.htm . I recommended this story on a polyamory thread on another web-site. It’s not strictly about polyamory, but it does deal critically with one of its characters who expects his fiancée to give up another (non-sexual but very dear and important) friendship.
Warning: there's a typo in both the Zipes book and on that web-site. One sentence reads: "[...]but she could not sleep without slippers and stole through the silent castle[...]". That should read something like: "[...]but she could not sleep without paying another visit to her dear friend. So she put on her slippers and stole through the silent castle[...]"
- old Chinese proverb
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
~ Anais Nin
I'd rather have a broken heart / Than have a heart of stone.
- from "Boundless Love (A Polyamory Song)" by Jimmy Hollis i Dickson
Old 02-24-2011, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFarFromRight View Post
...“The Princess Who Stood On Her Own Two Feet” by Jeanne Desy.
I read it in an anthology of feminist fairy tales, “Don’t Bet On The Prince” (edited by Jack Zipes)...
I have much love for The Practical Princess, another collection of feminist fairytales, but sadly it's both out of print and models monogamous relationship styles, so doesn't qualify.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:37 AM

well i also love the stories of The Practical Princess, and really i am a big fan of childrean cartoons and movies and you did a great job here and thanks for sharing with us and in this forum i am very happy their is a large collection of children stories are available .
Old 09-08-2011, 11:57 PM

Okay, I'm going to have to check out some of these! The only one I've read is Six Dinner Sid...and it is a favorite in our house! Love that book! Okay, I'm going to have to say that I absolutely loved the ending. lol It's a spoiler, so if you don't want to know, don't read.

(spoiler)
So, my favorite thing about this book is that in the end, the book emphasizes that even though his old set of families said he had to change, his new set of families all talked to each other, so Sid can be Sid, and "because everyone knows...no one minds." Isn't this what so many people here stress? The importance of open communication, and not needing to sneak around to be yourself?
Old 09-14-2011, 07:09 PM

thank you, this thread is great!
i'm going to read something and translate for my daughter (while my son can read in english).

thanks again!

p.s. i finish telling "biancarosa e rosella" by Grimm in the poly-way:
the bear changed into a wonderful prince after the course was broken and he married both sisters that he loved so much
i mean, who is this prince' brother coming up at the end, who has ever seen him?! why should rosella marry a perfect stranger while biancarosa keeps on flirting with the friend they hosted and enjoyed during the whole winter time?!!
Old 09-15-2011, 04:02 PM

what a great thread! thank you for posting this. I will happily be looking into the above mentioned ones to read to my girls

you mentioned stereotyped sexual roles. might you also be interested in stereotyped gender roles? if so, there are some themes in the paper bag princess by Robert Munsch that might be relevant to what you are looking for. Its about a princess who rescues a prince, and then when she finally does realizes that her dignity is more important than the prince is and she runs off into the sunset by herself. The target age range is younger children...

as a side note, I think its great that you are writing stories that challenge (is that right word? i don't know) the dominant cultural idea of one true love solving all your problems. I wish you the best of luck in your writing

Tags
books, children, kids