View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFarFromRight View Post
Sounds like a pretty responsible (and caring) attitude to me. Maybe Eric feels that he's on the losing end, but that's his call.
Yeah, exactly. If he wants to broach the topic he can, or he could always find someone to sleep with who isn't me.

The subject of the birth itself finally came up between me and Gia. She doesn't want me there. She's going to have Eric, the midwife, the midwife's assistant and MAYBE her mom and that's it. She said that she'd do it completely alone if it was safe to do so and if it wouldn't be terribly unfair to Eric (it being his baby too). Basically, like I related in an earlier post, she gets stressed at the thought of people worrying about her and she wants to be as unstressed as possible during the birth.

Which makes perfect sense, of course. I'm surprised I thought her decision might be different, really. If I'd been writing this right after she told me I'd sound a lot more distraught. Now that I've had some time to come to terms with the idea, I'm in a better place about it. It would mean the world to me to be there, but of course her comfort in this situation has to come first.

Yesterday I asked my boss whether or not it would be ok for me to take off every Friday for a while, if I saved up enough leave time. She said yes. Gia's taking two months off when the baby is born and then she's going to go back to work part-time. Eric will be using whatever leave he can as well, but they'll have to find some outside care to make it work after that. My thought is that, when Gia goes back to work, I can fill in for at least a day a week for a couple of months.

It would be skirting the edge of co-parenting. I'm really not sure how she'll respond to the offer. I'll let you all know.