View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 03:50 AM

@loveboston,
Thanks for your thoughts on this. I certainly agree and believe that jesus is who he said he is - specifically god himself. That gives what he said some clout, don't you think? ;>)

Where we might differ is on the implications of the things he said. First and foremost are those greatest commands. When he said to love one another, feelings and relationships were the furthest thing from his mind. He was pretty clear that the love he commands is a behavior, not how you feel for someone - in the way we generally interpret the word.

And in reference to the doing what he commands, he's referring to it all. Including things like denying yourself, taking up your cross, leaving your sin behind, fearing god, fleeing immorality, serving god, obeying scripture, and all the rest you can find. Actually all of these things together are the definition of the love he commanded.

On the avoiding things that make your relationship with jesus difficult, you might have a problem with 'i've not come to bring peace but a sword', ' to set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law, and a manís enemies will be the members of his household.'

That could make your relationship with him difficult to maintain. It certainly continues to challenge me.

We'll also have to agree to disagree on the bible being only men's words. In that case, I think you have to throw the whole thing out, including what jesus said. If you can't trust god to make sure he gets his word to you, via his servants, you're kind of stuck then, having to decide yourself what's true and what's not.

Nite