View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappened View Post
We as human beings are social creatures. We need to love and be loved. An activity can be fulfilling, rewarding, even life-changing; but it can't love you back, and I think that's the flaw in the idea of completely, entirely being your own primary and that having a full life should negate the need or desire for a person to love us back.
Thank you for writing this. This is more and more how I am thinking. We are social creatures. We need each other.

But we do need others. We need others to be close to us, to love us and to be loved. We need to feel that there is somebody there to help if things are going wrong or if we are struggling.

For me, this doesn't extend to needing a life partner - although I find that I'm enjoying that sort of love right now.

That's kind of the work I'm doing with myself right now - making sure I do reach out to others and become attached to them. Remembering that it's important to make time for them to be there and to let them be there for me (something that really does scare me).

I love spending time on my own so much and have so much to do that interests me that sometimes it's easier to do that than it is to be with people - and I don't think that my tendency to do so is especially healthy.