View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSalamander View Post
This is a really interesting point and I'm glad I glanced at this tread because this got me thinking. Thanks!

One further note - if OP is going to classify the "unicorn" relationship because it is a stereotype, then it also seems fair to mention that it is stereotypically a m/f couple seeking a bisexual female. That detail seems too important to overlook.
I'm glad that at least one of the trains of thought produced so far has been helpful.

I took care not to specify gender because I would still consider a couple to be "unicorn hunters" (a controversial phrase that encompasses a stereotype, it's true, but also a real phenomenon) if all the other particulars were the same but they were an m/f couple getting involved with a man, or two women getting involved with a man or a woman, or what have you. I've actually seen "want ads" with an m/f couple seeking a male in this manner, and gave advice on a thread some time back in which a f/f couple had gotten involved with a woman and were having typical unicorn hunting problems (she likes one of us better than the other!). So, while m/f seeking f may be most common, I don't consider it to be defining of that category of relationship style.