Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 05-18-2011, 12:48 AM

I don't think anyone here has implied that the way a woman dresses affects her level of culpability. There is no culpability on her end--rape is entirely the rapist's fault.

I think the disconnect is that there are two levels of logic going on here.

The first is personal, practical, and preventative. I am female. I live in a somewhat violent, extremely gun-centric, more than slightly misogynistic southwestern US culture. I do NOT want to be raped. How can I keep that from happening? Well, if I'm going to dress like a slut (and I will), I'll go out with friends, keep them apprised of where I am at all times, befriend bouncers and security guards, stay in well-lit places, and have my pepper spray at the ready.

The second level is broad and theoretical, a cultural critique. It's horrible that women have to live in fear. It fucking sucks. It's a product of decades of disempowerment, of a cultural paradigm that represents women as objects to be obtained, conquered, and controlled, of media outlets that portray women as deceptive and manipulative and unable to say "yes" or "no" in clear terms. It's a culture that pits women against each other in competition for men's attention, and then films them as they claw each other's eyes out over a lazy, self-absorbed man who treats them like crap. This is the cultural paradigm that leads people to blame the victim. It needs to change, very badly, whether through education, legal reform, Slutwalk marches, Take Back the Night, or just some good ol' mandatory Gender Studies general education courses.

But forgive me this: if I think I'm about to be raped, I'm not going to rely on a feminist theory textbook to save me.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:17 PM

Just had breakfast with a cop friend and ask him some general questions about this topic. He said that in the US rapes have been going down the past few years. The reasons are DNA evidence, higher conviction rates which keeps repeat offenders off the street, smarter or more well informed juries. He also said the law enforcement as a institution does Not believe clothing Slutty or not causes rape. The blame the victim concept is/was a tactic put in to practice by defense attorneys. And if you know any attorney it is just a tactic to win.....its a game and they want and like to win and will do almost anything.

so back to the slutwalk and it purpose ....take back the term slut ....take back the night ....to dress and act and be a slut with out the fear of some creep(s) see that as a whole bunch of easy (no pun intended ) targets. Good luck.
Did it change the community mind set .....potential jury pool? Is there an actual problem in the community in which the slutwalk took place? The FBI tracks all those numbers.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:54 PM

The incident in question happened in Canada, is there an equivalent to the FBI that tracks things here?
Old 05-18-2011, 05:49 PM

Hey, yeah, I remember take back the night: 'Whatever we wear, where-ever we go, yes means yes and no means no'.

Brilliant! But also cold, if memory serves (we had ours in November).
Old 05-19-2011, 07:03 AM

found this article maybe it will be of interest... its called "slutwalk: to march or not to march."
Old 05-19-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post

These are just three instances among many, in which you repeatedly de-gender the conversation.

Sorry to confuse you by not bolding the genders in every line. My apologies.
I naturally assume people know what I am talking about but I too underestimate people from time to time..err men....errr women. Whatever.

Bullshit men aren't told what to wear...I can't walk around naked without expecting to get ridiculed or treated differently. I also can't wear my Daisy Dukes with my balls hanging out and expect people not to treat me differently.

Admittedly, feminism is not something that is a part of my cultural background so I am uninformed of the struggles being discussed. I'll bow out. But still, if I, as a man, dress like a street walker I expect someone to try to pick me up

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over

Last edited by MonoVCPHG; 05-19-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post
But still, if I, as a man, dress like a street walker I expect someone to try to pick me up
Trying to pick someone up is not the same as forcibly raping someone.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 05-19-2011, 04:55 PM

Derby, yes ....maybe 2 ....RCMP and the Canadian security intelligence service. Also there is another source...Canadian Centre for justice statistics.
This sounds like a government agency but you should check that out as well.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:00 PM

mono....I thought that was the point of you wearing your daisy dukes. By the way when was the last time you had them on?
Old 05-19-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingedheart View Post
mono....I thought that was the point of you wearing your daisy dukes. By the way when was the last time you had them on?
And why aren't those pictures in your album on here?