Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 07-11-2011, 08:16 PM

Here are some other related threads about this topic:

configuration question?

Relationship structures, triads, unicorns and all that

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 07-12-2011, 03:13 AM

Ok...I think I'm IN my ideal relationship. :/ I can't find anyone else who does what my wife does, and will still put up with me...she does EVERYTHING! LOL
Old 07-12-2011, 01:27 PM

Better than any ideal relationships, I have actual relationships. These must be perfect, because they are real, actual.

Each of the people involved are wonderful, very wonderful. We all have healing and growth paths we're on because while we are perfect in every way, our perfection includes opportunties for growth and development.

There are no ideal relationships, only really good attitudes toward life and relationship and really poor ones, and those in between.

River's Blog
Old 07-20-2011, 01:13 AM

To have all 4 of us and the kids living next to each other would be awesome.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerensa View Post
Hmm... Well, I have put a lot of thought into this, and my ideal relationship, and by association my ideal future, is something that is constantly evolving as I meet new people and discover new things about myself and the world around me. Ten or so years ago, I wanted to live in a town with a boyfriend and three dogs... Now it couldn't be much more different.

I'd quite like to live in the countryside for instance, now, but within twenty minutes drive of a town at least. I still want the dogs, and some cats. My career plan has a great influence on all of this because I want to be a writer, which means most of my time will be spent at home.

I wouldn't expect my partners to do the same, in fact I'd quite like partners who worked, and I'd love to cook them something special and light a few candles for when they get home. Although I'd have to ensure they all did a share of the housework, so maybe another one who only had a part time job would be nice.

I'd like two or three partners of each gender, it sounds greedy, but it's what I'm comfortable with.

Maybe I'm a little weird, but it's a dream life for me...
That sounds beautiful *sniff*. Mine is similar! All the wife and i truly want is a girl who loves and cares for us both equally... the perfect triad! A special girl that would join the team that we have become and wouldnt mind the occasional 4th girl in bed (its our experiance romantic relationship work best in a triad but its always fun to spice things up with another girl!) one that doesn't get jealous and loves to cuddle the both of us.

Countryside for us as well. I'ld get a job teaching preschool and I wouldn't care whether the ladies worked or not so long as I can come home to around the same time they do so I can spend the evenings with them... wouldnt that be just lovely?
Old 07-20-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
Better than any ideal relationships, I have actual relationships. These must be perfect, because they are real, actual.
I agree with this. I am involved with great people, and I enjoy the relationships I have with them. Even though it can be fun to think about "ideals", I feel it puts too much focus on the relationship structure or way of living, which really only come long after the people involved, and what fits us in different situations.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:12 PM

Right now I think I'm just looking for more companionship. Someone who can be there when I need her and can do things with me. I have a wonderful girlfriend who lives a couple of hours away. We get together on weekends when we can but the 4 hour round trip is rough. Also, she has kids at home which complicates matters. That makes it difficult for me to get the up close and personal time I need. I need more.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:15 PM

I want to live with Beloved again. We are working towards this but it will be awhile. Also, I want to see where my other relationships go. It's been so interesting so far!
Old 08-03-2011, 10:01 PM

Ever since I was old enough to start thinking about "adult" relationships, I fantasized about a fluid milieu where the lines between friends and lovers were so blurred as to be almost indistinguishable. Humanity as one huge, happy pool of affection, love, and sex, free of the tyrannies of possession and jealousy. Oh, to dive into those waters...

I never talked about this with anybody, fearing I'd be denounced for being foolishly naÔve at best, and immorally sex-crazed at worst. I tried for decades to dismiss it as an adolescent pipe dream, wondering why I couldn't just finally "grow out" of it and be normal. Then one day I found out there was actually a name for it all. When I found out about polyamory it was almost a religious epiphany.

Granted, poly-as-practiced doesn't come anywhere close to that Utopian hallucination, but hey, a fella can dream, right?
Old 08-04-2011, 03:38 PM

I don't have an ideal relationship, more of an ideal living situation.

Earlier this year, my girlfriend, her hetero-lifemate, her boyfriend, his wife, her boyfriend, and his wife, all moved into a three flat together. It was something they had dreamed of for years (except my GF, who did not get along with one of the wives). Within a week, the GF and hetero-lifemate moved back out.

While I would love to live closer to the girlfriend, I realize that living under the same roof isn't always as good as it's cracked up to be. Multiple individuals with multiple opinions and multiple habits often lead to multiple problems.

However, some sort of commune made up of separate houses but all on the same land....now that appeals to me. (Did I just seeing everyone nodding in agreement?) I imagine there being a large central house, where everyone could mingle, share resources, host parties....but when thing got too much, retire back to your own little cottage, your own private sanctuary.

Tags
configurations, relationship, relationship dynamics, relationship structures