Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 06-05-2011, 02:42 PM

A logistic wet dream of mine would be for all of my partners in life to live close by, not necessarily in the same house but within walking distance (I know everything's within walking distance if you take enough time to walk, but let's say a kilometer on foot?).

That would solve the 'why the heck is everything I need ALWAYS on the other side of the town' problem I keep on having .
Old 06-06-2011, 12:31 AM

Wow, I love reading through this! It gives me lots of a ideas and it's very inspiring.

As for myself; I think my ideal relationship would be to have one of two situations; (keep in mind, I am not single. lol)

Option 1: An establish couple (preferably with children) brings me in as a "male type" romantic partner. What I mean by this is that they expect me to provide and protect. (A secondary father figure) Not tend and befriend (secondary mother figure.)

Option 2: I have several FWB type relationships. All of them know that I have others, and all of them understand that they will never be the 'only' one. Basically, I have no primary. Just many wonderful friends with whom I share romance and sex.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:38 AM

I have gone back and forth on this...

To START:
I want a primary partner with whom I can be in cahoots...best friends who are a very intimate team in all things whether it's work/business related, family-related, etc. I want us to have sexual adventures together as well as separately. I want each of us to be free to love whomever we choose without ever feeling the primary relationship is at risk. I want to feel the closeness of being in our own, private party that no one else "gets." At least for awhile...

After a few years of built-up trust, I think I'd like to explore the possibility of plural. It's starting to seem like a natural progression because since I can't imagine only loving one person for the rest of my life, I certainly believe it's probable I'll want that depth of intimacy and trust with others as well...but I honestly need to feel like there's a good existing "core" with the primary before adding more people permanently to that core.

How can you claim to love someone with all your heart if you can't stand to let them love with all of theirs?
-me

Last edited by stargazer23; 06-08-2011 at 06:25 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:13 AM

Interesting thread!!

My current relationship is perfect for me. I have never loved so much or felt as loved. It started out as poly/mono so that's quite a feat; some so-called experts say that poly/mono relationships are doomed to failure. It hasn't always been easy but I like that, I like that it has helped me to grow so much.

I honestly can't imagine myself in a relationship more ideal for me.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:44 PM

I want to be in a triad with two people that love me and each other equally. A relationship where we all share enough interests to go and have FUN together, doing whatever we decide to do. And I want it to be that way for forever.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:04 PM

This may sound super typical but I really just want a boyfriend. I've never really been a primary or had that stable singular relationship. I would be open to having an open relationship but I kind of want to try monogamy.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray View Post
I would be open to having an open relationship but I kind of want to try monogamy.
Monogamy will break your heart. Polyamory will break your heart. Being single will break your heart. ... Darlin', being human will surely break your heart. It always does. Your choice is between two possibilities. Two only. Will this human experience break your heart closed, or will it break your heart open.

I'm an optimist in these matters.

River's Blog
Old 07-09-2011, 03:52 AM

Default I wish I knew...

I wish that I could have a big house for people to come and go as they please and love each other. I would ultimately love to have people to play music with and do athletic and artistic things. And everyone should love dogs and cats. When I say this, it isn't random people... it would be maybe 2 other couples or singles, just not a set number, we would all be sharing resources and working for the common good of the household and each other. Maybe we would each have our own room or something like that, so that while we could be together, we could also have our own space.

However lately, I have been feeling out of sorts just feeling like I will ever have another poly relationship as my first one sort of ended (not the way I wanted it to) and I wish I could find someone who would get the situation and want to be part of it... and that my husband would be ok with everything like it was before. (not with that same person).

So one or more... hmmm not sure. It is a confusing, and a happy thought all at once.

Last edited by Moonglow; 07-09-2011 at 11:51 AM. Reason: to clarify
Old 07-09-2011, 10:17 PM

Just occurred to me...

Shouldn't the title of this thread be "Imagine your ideal relationships" on a poly board?

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

An excellent blog post on hierarchy in polyamory:
solopoly.net/2014/10/31/why-im-not-a-secondary-partner-the-short-version/
Old 07-11-2011, 07:24 PM

Hmm... Well, I have put a lot of thought into this, and my ideal relationship, and by association my ideal future, is something that is constantly evolving as I meet new people and discover new things about myself and the world around me. Ten or so years ago, I wanted to live in a town with a boyfriend and three dogs... Now it couldn't be much more different.

I'd quite like to live in the countryside for instance, now, but within twenty minutes drive of a town at least. I still want the dogs, and some cats. My career plan has a great influence on all of this because I want to be a writer, which means most of my time will be spent at home.

I wouldn't expect my partners to do the same, in fact I'd quite like partners who worked, and I'd love to cook them something special and light a few candles for when they get home. Although I'd have to ensure they all did a share of the housework, so maybe another one who only had a part time job would be nice.

I'd like two or three partners of each gender, it sounds greedy, but it's what I'm comfortable with.

Maybe I'm a little weird, but it's a dream life for me...

Tags
configurations, relationship, relationship dynamics, relationship structures