Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 06-06-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minxxa View Post
I had someone message me from OKCupid asking if my husband and I were looking for someone "in the lifestyle" (a phrase I detest, BTW, and my husband is not on my profile, except to mention that we're married). I went to the guy's profile, and it was talking about being into Polyandry. I couldn't figure out if he was referring to a woman with multiple husbands, had meant Polyamory and didn't know the difference, or they were swingers.
Ecch, sounds kinda dumb. Did you ask him what lifestyle he was referring to?

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 06-06-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerPete View Post
Maybe it's some sort of code phrase for something not related to poly at all. And you have to be "in the lifestyle" to be "in the know".
I'm sure it's super secret and exclusive with a secret handshake and gatherings involving naked people, robes and sacrifices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Ecch, sounds kinda dumb. Did you ask him what lifestyle he was referring to?
No. Maybe I should have. I wasn't sure I wanted to know the answer, though.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:47 PM

I wonder how often its related to people coming from swinging. Or thinking of poly like a communal loving. Both would be potential "lifestylers"..

people calling it lifestyle doesn't phase me. I just explain it otherwise. Then again I rarely say I am poly. Being open is good enough and covers the bases.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minxxa View Post
I'm sure it's super secret and exclusive with a secret handshake and gatherings involving naked people, robes and sacrifices.
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of "be careful or you'll end up trussed up, hanging from the basement ceiling, gagged, with a carrot shoved up your arse".

I also have an active imagination.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:18 PM

Oops! I realized that I used the term "lifestyle" today when making a post. I'm super new here- my husband and I decided on what we called "an open marriage" a couple of months ago. After doing a lot of reading and pondering, I decided that what I really meant by "open marriage" and who I really am is much closer to polyamory than, say, swinging, so I gravitated towards that definition. When I used the term "lifestyle", it was just shorthand for "the decision to practice a polyamory", or "the realization that I AM polyamorous". "Lifestyle" does kind of have that "swinging" connotation, doesn't it? I know that homophobic people often refer pejoratively to the "gay" lifestyle, and my reaction has always been, "Well, WTF is THAT?"
Old 06-07-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerPete View Post
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of "be careful or you'll end up trussed up, hanging from the basement ceiling, gagged, with a carrot shoved up your arse".

I also have an active imagination.
No kidding! quite the picture, LOL. I might prefer a cucumber though, a carrot sounds awfully pointy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
Oops! I realized that I used the term "lifestyle" today when making a post. I'm super new here- my husband and I decided on what we called "an open marriage" a couple of months ago. After doing a lot of reading and pondering, I decided that what I really meant by "open marriage" and who I really am is much closer to polyamory than, say, swinging, so I gravitated towards that definition. When I used the term "lifestyle", it was just shorthand for "the decision to practice a polyamory", or "the realization that I AM polyamorous". "Lifestyle" does kind of have that "swinging" connotation, doesn't it? I know that homophobic people often refer pejoratively to the "gay" lifestyle, and my reaction has always been, "Well, WTF is THAT?"

I just usually say nonmonogamous, if I'm trying to be clear to someone. It's the most straightforward definition I can give. And honestly, how it's defined for us changes depending on the situation and the people involved. Sometimes there's a relationship, sometimes it's mostly sex (though always with people that we'd consider friends), on occasion we've had a threesome. Just really depends ...
Old 06-07-2011, 07:16 PM

I agree with Ari in that I think its to do with Swingers and their take on it. They use the phrase, "in the lifestyle" and it translates to poly... blech! I hate it too... I live no other life but my own thank you very much. Naive and disrespectful without knowing it is what I chalk it up to be.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
I agree with Ari in that I think its to do with Swingers and their take on it. They use the phrase, "in the lifestyle" and it translates to poly... blech! I hate it too... I live no other life but my own thank you very much. Naive and disrespectful without knowing it is what I chalk it up to be.
You know the one thing I always think about is why they don't realize their "lingo" is not something everybody is going to understand, know what it means, or ascribe the same meanings to? I mean, it's just good form to be clear in a new environment until you learn the lingo there, too. You know? That's just wierd to me...
Old 06-15-2011, 05:36 AM

This is the first time i have seen that people have a problem with the use of the word "Lifestyle" yes i am a swinger, that is a lable that fits me just well so far. And for most swingers... we do call it a lifestyle. so when a person with a institutionalized swinger background posts into a poly sight, of course we are going to use it.

Note: i call "Institutionalized" swingers thoes that have actually been online to some of the more established swinger date sights (specifically SwingLifestyle.com). it has been engraned into our slang.

so, i put forth: please don't bite their head off when they use the word. just know that it is the only context we can understand at the time being and that we are trying to BLEND into a new community.

also, only now, while writing this do i realize that swinging is... ALL ABOUT LABLES. and poly isn't you would almost never hear a swinger describe themselvs as a pansexual, but always "strait" "Bi" "Bi-curious" a so on.
they can love all as equal, because it isnt love, its lust... for the most part
Old 06-15-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingers View Post
This is the first time i have seen that people have a problem with the use of the word "Lifestyle" yes i am a swinger, that is a lable that fits me just well so far. And for most swingers... we do call it a lifestyle. so when a person with a institutionalized swinger background posts into a poly sight, of course we are going to use it.
And it will still make no sense. It sounds no different than showing up and asking us about our garblyfunch.

What in hell is a garblyfunch? I don't know, yet I suspect it's involved in this Sooper Sekret Poly Lifestyle people keep asking us about!

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.

Tags
definitions, descriptions, life direction, lifestyle, poly, swinging