Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Introductions

Notices

Old 04-23-2011, 02:47 PM

Default New to site and possible the lifestyle

You already see my name and where I am from.My wife and I have been discussing the possibility of the poly lifestyle. She is bi and I think she may be searching for that unicorn. But we are discussing all of the poly lifestyle. We would like to meet others locally for a better insight and new friendships. I am not sure as of yet if she will be signing up. I am straight 37 y/o male and she is 40 y/o bi female. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:12 PM

Hi Mike ,

it's usually the other way around, the newbies ask the questions!
Welcome. You didn't give away too much but here is a question or two to get you thinking.
First off, what would YOU want from a poly lifestyle? can you see it as something that would make you happy?
How about if your wife just found a girlfriend and they had a separate relationship that you were not involved in? Would you be happy with that?
That would probably be easier to achieve.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:17 PM

Welcome aboard.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:16 PM

Hi there, Mike, and welcome. There really is no such thing as a specific polyamorous lifestyle. People who live all types of lives practice polyamory.

How do you think poly would fit into your particular lifestyle and what kind of insights are you hoping to find here?

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 04-24-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnalTone View Post
Welcome aboard.
Thanks for the welcome.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Hi there, Mike, and welcome. There really is no such thing as a specific polyamorous lifestyle. People who live all types of lives practice polyamory.

How do you think poly would fit into your particular lifestyle and what kind of insights are you hoping to find here?
I think it may fit into our lifestyle, with the obvious exceptions of friends and family not understanding or approving of it. But that is nothing new for me, I am the black sheep of the family.

As far as insights, I am not sure what I am looking for, that's like taking a guy off the street and asking him to do brain surgery, I can poke around a little and hope to not seriously hurt or kill anyone. I guess really it is just the thought that others with similar interests are out there to talk to when it gets confusing.