Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 04-08-2011, 11:09 AM

I'm surprised RP wasn't screened when she donated her milk, 8 or so years ago!

In US milk banks, you'd definitely be required to be tested for various diseases, be a non-smoker, etc.

Fresh breastmilk is alive. Freezing kills of some of its properties, but of course, it's still superior to anything created from pasteurized cow's milk, sucrose and some added chemicals.

Human milk storage guidelines can be found here:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html

Interestingly, since human milk (and all mammalian milks) contain live antibodies, milk that is expressed into a clean, fairly sterile (as in washed in hot water in a dishwasher) container, which is left out at room temperature, will, when tested several hours later, have less bacteria in it than when first expressed. Some of the bacteria from the mother's skin and from the container will be killed by the properties in the milk.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 58, living with:
miss pixi, 37, who is dating (NRE):
Master, 32
Old 05-14-2011, 03:08 PM

Default lactation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackUnicorn View Post
Yep, the breast-feeding part, while not exactly a problem, is a bit of a challenge right now, because when the baby needs to eat, Mum is the only one who can provide atm.
Many people would feel freaked out at the idea, but it is possible for a woman who has never been pregnant to induce lactation. AH, if it were only possible for a man!

- old Chinese proverb
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
~ Anais Nin
I'd rather have a broken heart / Than have a heart of stone.
- from "Boundless Love (A Polyamory Song)" by Jimmy Hollis i Dickson
Old 05-14-2011, 03:44 PM

I know, I had this inadvertently happen with a gf once or twice. Too much stimulation -> WOW ! Thank ye gods I was pre-informed that this might happen and didn't freak out.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:22 PM

Yes it is. I know a lesbian couple where the other woman, who didn't have the child learned how to breast feed. After a couple of years she decided she was really a man and has now transitioned... yup, its all possible.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFarFromRight View Post
Many people would feel freaked out at the idea, but it is possible for a woman who has never been pregnant to induce lactation. AH, if it were only possible for a man!

Actualy it is totaly possible for men to lactate.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohegan View Post
Actually it is totally possible for men to lactate.
I was just about to say that. Don't expect to produce buckets, but you can get yourself to lactate. The issue usually is less of biological impossibility and more of pride issues (men worried it makes them less of a man or something like that).
Old 05-17-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Many people would feel freaked out at the idea, but it is possible for a woman who has never been pregnant to induce lactation.
I always thought this is pretty much common knowledge. I wouldn't think anyone would freak out about it.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 05-17-2011, 04:57 PM

When I was still cycling, I was always able to express a few drops of "milk" (colostrum) from my breasts in the week before my period. I think this is fairly common.

But there is documentation of grandmothers past menopause taking over nursing babies when the mother dies.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

Master, 32
Old 05-17-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonberry View Post
I was just about to say that. Don't expect to produce buckets, but you can get yourself to lactate. The issue usually is less of biological impossibility and more of pride issues (men worried it makes them less of a man or something like that).
It actually DOES make them less of a man, that's a valid concern. Lower Testosterone, increased Estrogen. ...and along with that, the myriad increased health risks - prostate cancer, heart disease, stroke, even lower IQ. What's good for the goose is NOT good for the gander.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvartSvensk View Post
It actually DOES make them less of a man, that's a valid concern. Lower Testosterone, increased Estrogen. ...and along with that, the myriad increased health risks - prostate cancer, heart disease, stroke, even lower IQ. What's good for the goose is NOT good for the gander.
Um, where did you get that information from? It's a scientific fact any man that spends his life with a pregnant woman becomes more in tune with her hormonally. His prolaction and oxytocin levels go up, and this is natural and healthy, to increase the bonding experience with his baby once it's born.

Those diseases you warn against with regards to male lactation seem spurious to me, as breastfeeding is temporary. And I've never read anything about women's testosterone going down when lactating, just that her prolaction levels go up. A man's estrogen wouldn't go up during lactation, as estrogen controls ovulation, not lactation.

A man's IQ wouldnt go down just because he lactated!

Master, 32

Tags
breastfeeding