Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 04-04-2011, 02:17 AM

Hey Mags, I was wondering. A friend of mine had two siblings who were "developmentally slow." In other words, although they were in their 40s, they were very much like children of about 10 or 12. I don't know about their intellects, they both seemed intelligent enough to function in the everyday world, have simple jobs, pay bills, etc. (anything with a routine), but were socially immature, didn't grasp a lot of deeper meanings of things, and had very childish interests and ways of interacting. My friend told me that her mother had breastfed them both but afterwards they were told that both siblings were allergic (or sensitive) to some enzyme (or something) in her breastmilk and that caused some problem related to their development. Does that sound possible? My friend was also breastfed but did not have this sensitivity and came out "normal." I always wondered if this was some flim-flam they were told.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

An excellent blog post on hierarchy in polyamory:
solopoly.net/2014/10/31/why-im-not-a-secondary-partner-the-short-version/
Old 04-04-2011, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
Babies can't be allergic to breastmilk, it's much more likely he was sensitive to certain foods your mom ate, that passed into her milk.
That's possible. He's still allergic to a variety of things. I only remembered it as a kid as him being allergic to the milk, but I suppose he was allergic to something that was in it. It might have been considered too risky to "experiment" and see what he reacted too since he had a very strong reaction, so he was fed formula instead.

I have a question slightly related to milk allergy. I don't tolerate milk, be it cow milk or goat milk (I think I've also tried sheep and buffalo with the same results. I've been told horse milk exists, but I find it easier to just avoid milk).
I believe I react poorly to casein and whey. Are they present in human milk too? Wouldn't it be possible to tolerate it poorly due to that reason?

I didn't have a problem being breastfed personally, but I'm curious.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Hey Mags, I was wondering. A friend of mine had two siblings who were "developmentally slow." In other words, although they were in their 40s, they were very much like children of about 10 or 12. I don't know about their intellects, they both seemed intelligent enough to function in the everyday world, have simple jobs, pay bills, etc. (anything with a routine), but were socially immature, didn't grasp a lot of deeper meanings of things, and had very childish interests and ways of interacting. My friend told me that her mother had breastfed them both but afterwards they were told that both siblings were allergic (or sensitive) to some enzyme (or something) in her breastmilk and that caused some problem related to their development. Does that sound possible? My friend was also breastfed but did not have this sensitivity and came out "normal." I always wondered if this was some flim-flam they were told.
I'd need a lot more information to understand what this problem could be. Babies fed formula generally don't develop to their full potential and end up a few points lower on the IQ scale than if fed their mother's milk.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place. --Shaw

me: Mags, female, pansexual, poly, 59, loving and living with
miss pixi, female, pansexual, poly, 37
Old 04-04-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonberry View Post

I have a question slightly related to milk allergy. I don't tolerate milk, be it cow milk or goat milk (I think I've also tried sheep and buffalo with the same results. I've been told horse milk exists, but I find it easier to just avoid milk).
I believe I react poorly to casein and whey. Are they present in human milk too? Wouldn't it be possible to tolerate it poorly due to that reason?

I didn't have a problem being breastfed personally, but I'm curious.
The casein and whey in human milk is species specific. It breaks down much smaller than the casein in cow's milk, and is easily digested by infants and toddlers. Formula co's try and treat the proteins in cow's milk formulas to break down smaller, but the substance is still more rubbery than human milk curds.

So, you don't think you're just lactose intolerant, but actually sensitive to the proteins in cow's milk? How do you do with yogurt? The bacteria in that sort of predigests the proteins.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place. --Shaw

Old 04-04-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
So, you don't think you're just lactose intolerant, but actually sensitive to the proteins in cow's milk? How do you do with yogurt? The bacteria in that sort of predigests the proteins.
It only causes asthma, nothing more serious, so I don't avoid milk completely, but I'm been trying to avoid it when I can, and yogurt is actually not something I like enough to miss it much, so I haven't experimented much with it. I know that I react to lactose-free products too, and that cheese tends to be the worst. I also react to soy cheeses, and that's why I ended up figuring it was the casein, because they use it in "milk-free" cheeses too.
Then again I got triggered by some things that have whey in it. Avoiding both in products has worked for avoiding allergic reactions.

Sometimes it's a bit hard to tell though, for instance I had a reaction to chips once, I got confused and checked the ingredients, and outside of the potato, salt and pepper it said "milk products". It's obviously hard to know what exactly that refers to.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonberry View Post
You can actually induce lactation without hormones at all, although it's even less likely to succeed. The breast needs to be constantly stimulated (I don't mean non-stop, I mean several times a day) and will eventually start producing the milk.
I've heard this numerous times, but none of the women I was with as a teenager started lactation, despite near constant stimulation.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvartSvensk View Post
I've heard this numerous times, but none of the women I was with as a teenager started lactation, despite near constant stimulation.
It's possible they were too young, or that it wasn't the right kind of stimulation, or that there wasn't enough of it. As far as I know, it needs to be very regular, in order to reproduce the pattern of a baby breastfeeding. (Magdlyn said every 2 hours all day round, every day for months, with a 4 hour break at night). I doubt it was that regular, that often and over such long periods of time.

(I realise it was probably simply a joke, but I thought I'd address it anyways).
Old 04-04-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvartSvensk View Post
Every 2 hours for 20 mins (10 mins per breast) 24/7. My gf claims to have brought her last gf's milk in a bit while they were in NRE. heh

Old 04-05-2011, 11:09 AM

Have you all seen this?

Breast milk ice cream goes on sale in Covent Garden

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12569011

Old 04-05-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Have you all seen this?

Breast milk ice cream goes on sale in Covent Garden

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12569011
I saw an article on breast milk cheese too. I think it was being served in a resteraunt somewhere in the states (or at least they were trying to, I think they were having some trouble getting it past the FDA).

Tags
breastfeeding