Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 04-01-2011, 01:47 AM

Default 3rd party only wants to be with my girl

So my girlfriend and I have been doing very well! We even met a guy the other night that I surprisingly REALLY liked! She likes him alot too! I've never been a "man-hater" or anything like that. I just never really connected with guys, but he was WAY different! I'll call him J. My girl and J just met about a week ago, and then I met him a few days after so it's all still very new. I felt very comfortable around him in a rather, intimate way. Which was strange to me. All 3 of us had a great time!

Now, my girl and I also have another guy named, T. T is dating my girl but not me; he and I just aren't into eachother that way and that is okay with all of us. My girl has explained to T that she wants a gf (most likely me; her and I are just taking it as it is) and to be able to play around with other guys; I know that I want another girl in my life and possibly a guy. T has said... he only wants to be with my girl.

Now, I think T is a great guy, I really like him, I have rarely felt jealousy towards him (and when I did I just analyzed my feelings and found the real point of it) and I know my girl loves him. But what T said about *only* being with her worries me. I personally don't think it's possible for a couple where 1 is mono and the other is poly to be together; it just seems very unhealthy to me. It's like a gay person and straight person being together; it is possible for those two types to fall in love with eachother and truly care about one another, but that one SMALL detail (gay vs. straight / poly vs. mono) can make a HUGE difference.

Am I being out of line or unreasonable? Does this happen AND work out?
Old 04-01-2011, 01:55 AM

Do a search for mono/poly. There are plenty of members here having that type of relationship.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 04-01-2011, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouslez View Post

Am I being out of line or unreasonable? Does this happen AND work out?
Two years and four months so far and going strong...yes it does happen and yes it can work out .....but it takes a lot of work, never doubt that.

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 04-01-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I know that I want another girl in my life and possibly a guy. T has said... he only wants to be with my girl.

But what T said about *only* being with her worries me. I personally don't think it's possible for a couple where 1 is mono and the other is poly to be together; it just seems very unhealthy to me.
Woot? Why does it have to be mono/poly, if you want another relationship too, possibly with a man? AND with another female too, or did I read this right? Why does it have to be the exact same man your gf has the hots for?

A-haa! You are worried about T being mono?
Old 04-01-2011, 06:55 PM

Yes it can work. A lot depends on the mono person. If he is accepting of your in her life then no problem. Sounds like it is working so far.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:13 PM

Have you asked him his take on that statement. You may be reading too deeply into the "only" verbiage.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:57 AM

Quote:
I personally don't think it's possible for a couple where 1 is mono and the other is poly to be together; it just seems very unhealthy to me. It's like a gay person and straight person being together; it is possible for those two types to fall in love with eachother and truly care about one another, but that one SMALL detail (gay vs. straight / poly vs. mono) can make a HUGE difference.
It's worked for me so far... not for those who don't like to work on their relationship though.

Do a tag search and research "mono/poly" a bit, maybe you will get some insight as to how and why it might work.