Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 01-15-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermin06 View Post
Enchanted could have been helped with polyamory. It also would have driven home that the, "Happily ever after, love for only one" isn't the only relationship expectation one could have.
I was just about to mention it. I can't remember all the characters' names, but when the lawyer guy kisses Gisele, the Prince encourages him, the girlfriend tells him it's okay, and when she wakes up the Prince seems so happy... I felt it would have worked better with a poly ending because as it is, the 5 year relationship was suddenly discarded, and the Prince looked like he had no attention span and the first woman he saw was always the love of his life.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:26 AM

Sweet Home Alabama. She obviously loved one enough to want to marry him but then re-falls for her high school sweetheart so she just says, "Sorry!"??

and Aida (the musical). Though a lot of other things would have had to be different, like no treason, for that poly relationship to have even a CHANCE of working.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:22 AM

My oddball nominees:

Chasing Amy
The English Patient (although I doubt it would have worked out...)
Samurai Champloo (anime series)
Old 01-25-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenearthal View Post
I think there are many, many unrequited love and lack of communication movies where either the whole movie could have been avoided or the ending could have been much better if someone could toss a polyamory grenade onto the set at a strategic point in the film.
While I have often yelled at the characters on the screen that they're being stupid by making such a big deal about not being able to choose... You have to admit that throwing in a poly bomb would pretty much destroy the movie, since it would remove the conflict. What's a good movie without conflict??

As for unrequited love... well, if the other person just isn't into you, it really doesn't matter how many partners you prefer, they're still not going to be one of them...

"Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion. That is just being "in love" which any of us can convince ourselves we are. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident. " -- Louis de Bernières
Old 01-31-2012, 10:15 PM

I can't believe no one mentioned Casablanca or Gone with the Wind.

But, yeah, when the conflict of the plot is a love triangle (or quadrangle in GwtW), resolving it with a happy poly situation destroys the story.

I'm a fiction writer. Story = conflict.

If Anna Karenina's husband could just accept a co-husband, there wouldn't be much of a story...
Old 02-01-2012, 01:00 AM

Come on, anyone in a poly relationship knows that poly doesn't mean "no conflict" :P
The conflict and struggles could be different ones. Plus, the conflict could still be the same (who do I choose?) with only the answer being different (both!)
Old 02-01-2012, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeraReed View Post
I can't believe no one mentioned Casablanca or Gone with the Wind.

But, yeah, when the conflict of the plot is a love triangle (or quadrangle in GwtW), resolving it with a happy poly situation destroys the story.

I'm a fiction writer. Story = conflict.

If Anna Karenina's husband could just accept a co-husband, there wouldn't be much of a story...
You don't sound very original in your storytelling then...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonberry View Post
Come on, anyone in a poly relationship knows that poly doesn't mean "no conflict" :P
The conflict and struggles could be different ones. Plus, the conflict could still be the same (who do I choose?) with only the answer being different (both!)
My thoughts exactly.
=]
Old 02-01-2012, 05:08 AM

I write screenplays, too, and MeeraReed is absolutely right in saying there is no story without a conflict. Those stories that are all about a person choosing between one or another person would fall flat at the climax if the protagonist chose both. The audience would say, "After all that struggle, she/he doesn't even pick one? How lame! I watched that journey for nothing!" They would feel cheated because they would be rooting for one of them, and feel like it's unfair if there isn't a clear winner. They also need a character to identify with, whether it's the winner or the loser. So, love stories with "happy poly endings" would have to center the conflict around some issue other than the typical two people trying to win someone's heart. But my choice would probably have an ambiguous ending where it looks like more than one person wins, but you're not sure, so the audience goes home and can't stop talking about it - "Who do you think she marries? No, really?! I thought..." That kind of thing.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me.
~Bryan Ferry

Last edited by nycindie; 02-01-2012 at 05:12 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:55 AM

I dunno, I thought Harrad Experiment had plenty of conflict, and it ended with a six-people marriage. (Did I mention my parents took me to see it when I was twelve? I thought Don Johnson was dreamy.)(hay, I was TWELVE)

How about Keeping the Faith, a priest and a rabbi fall in love with Jenna Elfman (well, who wouldn't?). If it ended with all of them, it has the added benefit of turning the priest from the priesthood.

Me: female, bi, (formerly hinge of a vee)
with FirstBoyFriend (FBF)(moderately long-distance)
and no longer with CurrentBoyFriend (CBF)(who lives in the apartment building next door)
Old 02-01-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberRain View Post
... Harrad Experiment... I thought Don Johnson was dreamy.
Oh, he sure was! Mmm, those juicy lips of his.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me.
~Bryan Ferry

Tags
fantasies, movies