Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Introductions

Notices

Old 03-07-2011, 10:31 AM

Default .....can't think of a witty title

Not really sure how to start....so I'll go with the basics. I found this site while just generally looking around. (Google's a wonderful thing.) I'm a male university student in my early twenties, living in southern Ontario. (Canada, of course.) I first started thinking about polyamory a couple of years ago, and it took some time to develop from there.

In my case polyamory basically came down to two things: First, I've never met one single person who could be everything I was looking for in a relationship, and never felt I could be everything someone else needed. Second, I've never really understood why loving one person should mean you're not capable of loving someone else, and the idea of having to choose between two people I have romantic feelings for is generally kind of repulsive to me.

My first poly experience failed spectacularly for several reasons, but *did* entirely confirm for me that a poly relationship is what I'm looking for. (The poly aspects (jealousy, stuff like that) of the relationship weren't what made it a failure, it was just the normal relationship stuff.) Being in a poly relationship filled the gaps I'd always felt were there in previous relationships, which was wonderful.

I identify as bi/pansexual, though I don't have a lot of experience with men yet. (Much like being poly, it's something that I've grown into and I haven't had much of a chance to explore that aspect of myself so far.)

Because this is something I've come to fairly young it hasn't been as huge an adjustment for me as I've seen for some people. I know there's a lot that I can learn here about how to make poly relationships work, starting/maintaining them and the pitfalls to avoid. Being poly isn't something that's widely accepted, and peoplel tend to be quick to judge so it'll be nice to know some more like-minded people.

Sorry for being long-winded, it's kind of my nature and fast touch-typing doesn't help any!

Cyren
Old 03-07-2011, 03:10 PM

Upshot is that University is slightly more accepting of alternatives to mainstream living as long as you can present a half decent intellectual justification for it.

Welcome to the forum.

-Imaginary Illusion

How did I get here & Where am I going?
Old 03-07-2011, 03:17 PM

Cyren,

Welcome sir.

Witty at will.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:25 PM

Welcome aboard!

River's Blog
Old 03-07-2011, 11:10 PM

II, I have noticed that to a degree. The people who've reacted the worst tend to be the religious ones, which I think is mostly an upbringing thing. Mostly I've gotten confusion and sometimes curiousity rather than outright hostility.

Having looked around I've noticed websites and such for poly groups at a lot of universities, though there doesn't seem to be anything here at McMaster.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:41 AM

welcome to the forum.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:56 PM

Hey, Cyren, welcome!
I appreciate input from the younger generation who haven't grown up with quite as much b.s. as some of us older ones. Different slant on things.

Not much to add now, I'm getting thrown out of here in about 15minutes until my next connection next week. But I did want to comment on your apology for "being long-winded". Not at all! You should see some of my posts! And I'm the exact opposite to a fast touch-typist, so that by the time I've typed out my comment and click on "Preview Post", I usually get informed that I'm not logged in and have to log in again.

Just remember (you've done it, so I mean to remember to keep doing it) to separate your paragraphs to make it easier to read your post, and you can be as "long-winded" as you like (of course: as long as it's interesting).
- old Chinese proverb
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
~ Anais Nin
I'd rather have a broken heart / Than have a heart of stone.
- from "Boundless Love (A Polyamory Song)" by Jimmy Hollis i Dickson