Default monogamy checklist

http://www.eastportlandblog.com/?p=9176

I can't believe they came up with 73!
Old 04-07-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
http://www.eastportlandblog.com/?p=9176

I can't believe they came up with 73!
I only got to bed for 2 hours this a.m., so I'm not too fit mentally just now: I read your post as meaning "I can't believe they came up with only 73!" and - since the article allows comments from readers - was going to suggest that you add to the list. (Somebody did, so there are 74 so far.) Having read through it, I found a certain degree of overlap.

e.g. 31) I can be open about my romantic preference without worrying about my job.
36) I don’t have to worry about being fired or denied housing because of my romantic preference.

or 34) As a responsible and loving parent, I won’t lose my children in a custody battle because of my romantic preference.
49) I can be sure that the government will not suddenly remove my children to a foster home based on my romantic preference.
58) No one assumes based on my romantic preference that my children are/were raised in an unstable environment.
(3 shadings of the prejudice that polys are unfit to raise children. I could add a dozen variations. One off the top of my head: "The teachers at my children's schools will not assume that I am a bad parent." [Though the first 2 cited deal with the threat of actually losing children you love.])

Also, he claims an easy out: "Note that for the purpose of this list, “romantic preference” does not refer to one’s sexual orientation re: the Kinsey scale (heterosexual, homosexual, and everything in between)." Many of the problems he cites would be faced by homosexual monogamists. He's careful to add in each sentence "because of my romantic preference" where he pre-defines "romantic preference" to refer strictly to the spectrum mono/poly.

I know that the checklist for homosexuality has already been dealt with, so that last paragraph of mine is quibbling. But it puts things in a certain perspective. Prejudice is prejudice and stereotypes are stereotypes. None are healthy.
- old Chinese proverb
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
~ Anais Nin
I'd rather have a broken heart / Than have a heart of stone.
- from "Boundless Love (A Polyamory Song)" by Jimmy Hollis i Dickson