Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 07-28-2014, 08:07 PM

Post Discrimination

Apologies if this exists in another thread.

One of my biggest fears in coming out as poly is the potential for discrimination that may follow. I am a young adult starting my second year of college studying chemical engineering. I've got scholarships to apply for, internships to fight for, and research positions to try for. After undergrad, I've got graduate schools and fellowships to apply to. From there, I may start a career in the government sector (although either way, I will need funding for projects). I have been "warned" that coming out or being open may jeopardize my opportunities at school and in my future career. I wanted to know if these warnings are justified. Have any of you experienced severe discrimination in a school or career setting? What are your thoughts?

Thank you!

-Mary Beth
Old 07-28-2014, 08:10 PM

I am completely out at school and in my life. I haven't experienced any discrimination and actually-college life seems to have been where it has been MOST easily accepted and gotten little to no attention from anyone.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:33 PM

I live in the bible belt and I've never been discriminated against for being poly, bi, or atheist.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:35 PM

So far, you guys are giving me hope.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:12 PM

People in general don't care enough about you for it to be an issue. Now if your government job involved a backround check or a lifestyle polygraph than maybe but short of that there is no scholarship that would dig into your personal life to that extent.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:50 PM
Official Greeter

Of course coming out isn't something you *have* to do. I've been "in the closet" about it since I started living a poly life in 2006, and I don't feel any great need to come out now (though I had an adjustment phase in the first year or so).

Having said that, it sounds to me like you're entering into a scientific field, and scientists can usually be counted on to think logically. Discriminating against you for something in your personal life doesn't make logical sense. I would think the people you'll be working with will be a lot more interested in your scientific expertise than they will be in your poly preferences. I could be wrong of course, but that's how it seems.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:17 AM

I have no issues. I just live my life. Honestly no one gives a darn.
In a V relationship with an average 60/40 split of time. Only due to Murf's and Butch's crappy work schedules.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:47 AM

I think it depends on where you live and who you're with, and a host of other variables. It would hurt me a lot if I was too open, but our circumstances will change eventually and it won't be an issue. We do intend to be open at some point.

I think you need to assess your situation and decide for yourself. Are you dating a married partner? Are you married? If you're applying for grants and such, it may be wise to hold off on being freely open about it.

Also, consider why and how open you want to be. There are degrees of openness, after all.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatToDo View Post
People in general don't care enough about you for it to be an issue. Now if your government job involved a backround check or a lifestyle polygraph than maybe but short of that there is no scholarship that would dig into your personal life to that extent.
Many of my friends that are poly or involved in BDSM work for the federal government in some capacity. Many of them have had to do both polygraphs as well as background checks. if you are open and honest about multiple partners, BDSM, affairs, etc. the government does not care. If they find out you hid something they are more likely to have a problem with your lack of honesty.
H-my partner
Old 07-29-2014, 03:45 AM

What is your motivation for coming out? I would love to be more open, but I know my conservative, traditional family would disown me. I also work in a field that has a "morality clause" and while I would fight if there was ever issues, I would rather just not have work know. I do have friends that are also poly, so it is nice to talk freely among them. I have never denied being poly if people were to ask, I just do not bring it up.
H-my partner

Tags
career, coming out, discrimination, school