Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 06-08-2014, 05:16 AM

Default How to find a counsellor

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has experience tracking down a polyfriendly counsellor/therapist. Or at least one who actually knows what poly is xP
Old 06-08-2014, 05:36 AM
Official Greeter

Resources for finding poly-friendly counselors:
Resources to direct your counselor to if they're unfamiliar with poly:
Hope that helps.
Sincerely,
Kevin T.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:01 AM

Kdt26417 gave you a lot of good resources, but I'll also say that a good therapist/counselor can help you work within your relationship, regardless of the structure. They don't have to see it by mono or Poly 'rules' if you don't let them. Think about what your goal is with counseling, focus on that, and a good counselor will be able to help you.

I go to regular therapy because of my bipolar disorder and Lamb and Pickle are a major part of that. We work on our relationship within the parameters of my illness and how it affects them. Both my mental state and our relationship have benefitted greatly... And this from a therapist whose area of expertise is mental health, not relationship, not poly relationship.

I think if you can't find a poly specific therapist, you just shop for someone who makes you feel real progress over reasonable periods of time.

Me (AJoy - bisexual female) in a marriage/life commitment with Pickle (straight male) and Lamb (bisexual female). Preparing to try for our first child together.

Last edited by AJoy; 06-09-2014 at 07:05 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:43 PM

Thanks for the info!

I know I've got a lot of things to work on with a therapist, most of them being self-worth, confidence, yada yada issues, which aren't exclusive to being the mono partner in a mono/poly relationship. But they are definitely amplified!

When I was a university student I could just go see the counsellors there, so I had no idea where to even begin.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:50 PM

If you happen to be in the Indianapolis area, let me know we are currently seeing an amazing therapist that is extremely good with Poly.