Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Life stories and blogs

Notices

Old 05-07-2014, 01:29 PM

Default anyone here interested in homesetading or back to the land living?

We have been off the power grid for over 10 years....
We have the space to share, so I thought to put it out there that we have room for a couple who is wanting to be off grid/ back to nature/modern homesteader ...

Or if any one has interested in gardening, raising their own food. Post a question.
I'll share what I know.

Last edited by jayt; 05-07-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:15 AM

I'm interested the "theory" of off-grid/survivalist type of living...but I don't really like to work that hard!

So, I have read a lot and have a lot of references (dead-tree books!) that tell you how to do stuff. But for now...while I'm working more-than-full time I just focus on making choices that give us redundancy and flexibility for the future of our own little "compound."

I've got the land (first step). I'm slowly exploring and figuring out what resources we already have available: nut trees, lumber trees, wild grapes/onions/strawberries/raspberries/blackberries, mast trees (cherry, horse chestnut) for wildlife, etc.

This year I planted my domestic grapes and Dude is planting a garden (with plants started by Lotus and some other friends of his). Hops might be next on the table...(who wants to survive the apocalypse without beer?! mmmm...home brews and hard apple cider...) Dad tapped his maples for sap this year and got a good batch of syrup for his amateur efforts...Maybe I'll do bees and we can swap

Septic system is already off grid...but when we build Dude's bachelor pad (or a rustic guest cabin) I'd like to add a composting toilet.

Water is off grid too - we've got a well, a cistern, and a big Berkey filter with a lake 1/2 mile a way - plan is to build a big holding tank as well (more for quick fire response - it's not like there are fire hydrants out here and it takes too long to fill the pump trucks from the lake).

Power has just one back-up - an in-line natural gas generator (runs the furnace control, well pump, septic pump, deep freeze, and two emergency outlets). The power goes out semi-regularly here - MrS had to camp here for 3 days the first winter before we moved in while we were renovating to babysit the generator and keep the pipes from freezing. Ultimately, I'd like a power bank and tie in solar/geothermal/small wind...the tech has improved dramatically in the last 10-15 years.

The porch I am planning on adding is designed with "passive solar" in mind...but I really need to get new/better/insulated windows before that will matter. Any landscaping plants will have to have a use (herb garden, medicinal garden, mast/food trees, etc.) I'm not putting that much effort into cultivating something that is merely "pretty" (not a fan of lawns either).

Lotus is starting with chickens, but I think we might do rabbits instead...although I really want a dairy goat!

Reading over all that ... I guess I actually have more stuff planned than I thought...

JaneQ
Lotus: poly bi married female, "it's complicated" relationships with Dude/JaneQ/MrS (1+ years)
+ "others" = FBs, FWBs, lover-friends, platonic G/BFs, boytoys, etc.

My poly blogs here:
The Journey of JaneQSmythe
The Notebook of JaneQSmythe

Tags
homesteading, offgrid living