Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 04-10-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natja View Post
Your missing the point, which is, just because it doesn't matter to you, doesn't mean it doesn't matter.
Says who?

Why should I care what matters to other people?

They're already poly, and that matters to a lot of people too. I don't see them internalizing the belief that their relationship is wrong because it goes against society's monogamous rules. I don't see them breaking up just because Pink's family doesn't accept stevie.

All that "matters," as in the grand scheme of things that affect my life on a daily basis, is "what matters to me."

Every day, all over the world, there are people doing all kinds of things that elicit negative responses from other people. And every day, people are saying "I don't care what you think, I'm gonna do it anyway." Yeah sure, SOME people internalize those responses and change their behaviour. But it's not ubiquitous enough that you can say with any certainty that this particular group will internalize those beliefs just because "society" tells them to.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 04-10-2014, 10:34 AM

Because no one lives in isolation, we live in society and people like.....talk to other people.

Like I said, the opinions of others might not matter to you, but it might matter to those who are in a relationship with you (like Pink for example) and it might bother her.

I am not saying that everyone does, I did not ever write that. Everyone is individual and I find it is more often those who ARE married, who say it doesn't matter....

Yeah not to you it doesn't...what about her?
Old 04-10-2014, 06:13 PM

Valid point. I don't agree with the total generalization that society's opinions "matter" in the grand scheme of things. But you're right that they seem to matter to Pink, because she's already expressed the desire for a spouse who will be accepted by her family.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."