Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 03-20-2014, 11:57 PM

Arrow Co-habitation/Communal Living

Hey everyone, I was researching some more poly stuff, and I was curious about your thoughts on the following: How do poly couples/singles/families feel about the idea of co-habitation?

More specifically, with some families struggling and their being a shortage in California (where I live) for affordable houses & rentals, I am wondering if people are open to such an idea of living together with another poly family to make it more affordable & cost efficient.

Here is an article that I read while researching:

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2014/...ousing-crisis/

Moreover, I am not going to take credit for coming up with the idea myself, I saw a profile question on www.beyondtwo.com asking whether an individual/couple/family would be interested in co-habitation...

It seems like a potential solution to a growing problem, so just trying to think outside the box.

Let me know.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:28 AM

I prefer having two separate households.

My kids and I travel between my two homes.

I am too Alpha to share my home with another adult female. My husbands are the same way. The only way that would change would be in the event of a zombie apocalypse or a Mad Max type situation.
In a V relationship with an average 60/40 split of time. Only due to Murf's and Butch's crappy work schedules.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:16 AM

Default stiveme different

Totally understandable, but for those less alpha or dominant than you, do you think it a viable solution or option to solve housing problems? Especially, I am thinking in the context of a situation where families are both poly, struggling to find an affordable house, and would like to be more cost efficient.

Ryan
Old 03-21-2014, 01:31 AM

Why does it have to be poly families? A poly household could share with anyone who is open-minded, they don't have to be poly.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 03-21-2014, 01:40 AM

It absolutely does not have to be poly.

I was solely focused on this type of situation in the poly context.

I think you might be onto something if poly & non-poly families were able to share a household. I think this would improve the effectiveness and viability of such an option, would you agree?

Ryan
Old 03-21-2014, 01:59 AM

Er, what are you getting at, exactly? Your questions are not making sense to me. Combining poly and mono households would "improve the effectiveness and viability of" what? Sharing a home? I don't see the correlation. People who need to save money by sharing a house will seek out others. If two households find each other, the adults in charge will hopefully interview perspectives and check references before jumping into any commitments with them. If they get along, great. If not, find someone else. I don't know how this has anything to do with a group's chosen approach to relationships. If a poly family (or any family) wants to live in a communal type situation, like an intentional community, the process is similar. They are out there and one just has to do their research.

"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 03-21-2014, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Er, what are you getting at, exactly? Your questions are not making sense to me. Combining poly and mono households would "improve the effectiveness and viability of" what? Sharing a home? I don't see the correlation. People who need to save money by sharing a house will seek out others. If two households find each other, the adults in charge will hopefully interview perspectives and check references before jumping into any commitments with them. If they get along, great. If not, find someone else. I don't know how this has anything to do with a group's chosen approach to relationships. If a poly family (or any family) wants to live in a communal type situation, like an intentional community, the process is similar. They are out there and one just has to do their research.
Nycindie

How often do two households seek out each other for co-habitation?

Cohabitation is not an option lots of families seek out because they don't even realize it exists as a viable and cost effective option!

So, my point with poly folks considering these options is to say that an effort needs to be made from somewhere, why not be poly folks ,who are generally more tolerant and open to non-"traditional" type dynamics, be the ones to lead the charge?

I am not saying there is a correlation, but I do not know many monogamous families who would consider co-habitation as even an option.

In California, there is a very troubling problem of housing shortages for people, so it is something to be addressed. I am just inquiring into other people's thoughts and options. Does that make sense?

I appreciate someone challenging and pressing me, I really do. But, respectfully, I disagree that people who need to save money will seek out other families. There are no statistical numbers to support that assertion. It simply is not true at this point, despite the fact that I wish it was the reality. I am absolutely encouraging the idea, however I do not think it is being utilized enough.

If you have something to back that up, please share it because I would like to read a credible article explaining an increased trend for families to seek co-habitation.

Thanks.

Ryan
Old 03-21-2014, 02:15 AM

You have NEVER in your life known a bunch of people who moved in with a bunch of other people? Incredible.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
You have NEVER in your life known a bunch of people who moved in with a bunch of other people? Incredible.
I NEVER said that, I said "not many families consider it as an option"; please double check your understanding of what I said prior to make a condescending remark.

Thanks =)

Last edited by Ryan3232; 03-21-2014 at 02:27 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:32 AM

Lol !!!

Last edited by nycindie; 03-21-2014 at 02:39 AM.

Tags
#beyondtwo, #curious, #wsj