Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 03-15-2014, 05:59 PM

Default Help with terms for a search?

Hey guys,
I'm workign on a project for school.
I have to find two research articles that SOMEHOW address my topic (doesn't have to be exact).

My topic is that I believe that the more personal involvement a person has with people who are in an alternative relationship (LGBT/Poly/BDSM etc) the more knowledgable they are of the terminology used in alternative lifestyles (like pansexual for example).

Does anyone have any ideas for terms I can toss into library search engines to help nail down something?
Using LGBT is insanity-the sheer quanitity of articles would take me years to peruse. Poly (polyamorous, polyamory etc) brings damn near nothing.

Acceptance, heteronormativity..
(I suck at vocabularly can you tell?)
Old 03-15-2014, 07:20 PM

LR,

I'm passing your question on to a friend who is in linguistics. Maybe she will have some ideas. Interesting hypothesis! I would like to know your findings if possible.

Good luck!
Old 03-15-2014, 09:13 PM
Banned

Ha, just discussed this with my partner who also went down the linguistics route. However, I think you should try "attitudes to pre op vs post op transsexuals" and "gender pronouns use" in Google scholar or similar academic database. I think you'll find research about how people can become more respectful when interacting with transsexual people. I'm not sure prepare are that bothered about being more accepting of kinky people but there it's bound to be articles and research about language and attitudes towards other communities. Familiarity and education about those communities had to be what they recommend for change

Last edited by london; 03-15-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:31 PM
Banned

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...6DoN7U2z0pAOdw
Old 03-15-2014, 10:16 PM

What kind of course is this for?

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "
Old 03-15-2014, 10:53 PM

Research Methods.

We get to choose our own topic, we have to find two peer reviewed articles that have SOMETHING in them that pertains to whatever our topic is (doesn't have to be the same, just some way we can relate it) and then we actually create the research questionairre, collect the data, do the stats etc.
It's VERY small scale and not particularly useful for generalizing to the rest of the world.
But-it's a chance to practice doing survey research and how the process works.

I have other deeper questions I want to research-but not when I am being graded on every detail and in a time crunch because it has to be done within the semester.
SO I picked my topic because it at least has SOMETHING to do with what I'm interested in-but it very basic/simple and not time consuming.

I did find two articles I think I can use.
That's positive.

This research survey is looking at my hypothesis that the more personal contact you have with people in alternative relationships, the more knowledge you have of the terminology used. I don't honestly care about THAT.
But-it does have to do with acceptance. There's lots of research that shows that having a personal relationship (friend/relative etc)with someone different from you increases your acceptance of people who different in that way.
(so like knowing someone of a different race increases your acceptance of people in that race and/or LGBT etc).

Anyway, I am REALLY bad with search engines, because I SUCK SUCK SUCK at figuring out "alternative ways to say it". So for example, I'm searching for a rain jacket. I struggle with "what else could it be called".
And inevitably-whatever word I'm using-isn't the one that everyone else used-so what I need doesn't appear when I search it.
(guess I should take a "how to be a better thesaurus for myself" class)
Old 03-15-2014, 10:59 PM

Doesn't your college give you access to login to scholarly journals where you can download peer-reviewed articles? Check out their library's search engine, too.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "
Old 03-15-2014, 11:26 PM

Yes. I was. That was what I was struggling with. One of the terms that I found which worked was "inter..." something. Can't remember it now. But essentially it meant working in groups that are mixed or integrated.
ANYWAY-I really suck at figuring out what words to search.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:42 PM

Default Help again? :)

Hey friends: Help request.
I am working on a project for school (creating a correlational study). I need to come up with a list of the "key terms" that *should* be known to understand polyamory OR BDSM OR LGBT lifestyles. (yes I know that is pretty open).
I was hoping some of you could sound off with what terms YOU personally feel are most important?
That way I can compile a list that isn't completely made up by what I personally think is most important.
(the actual project is based upon the hypothesis that the more people you personally know involved in some sort of alternative lifestyle, the more aware of pertinent terminology you will be).
Thanks to anyone who has a few minutes to toss out some words that they think are important!
*if you have any other suggestions/thoughts/critiques-please feel free to drop those on me too!
Old 03-17-2014, 09:51 PM

Default This is fun!

-Possible terms for a search-

Poly:

ethical non-monogamy, open, swinging, unicorn, triad, V, New Relationship Energy

LBGT:

queer, genderfluid, trans and its variants (transmen, transwomen, trans* and more), lesbian, gay, bisexual, coming out,

BDSM:

Play, master/slave, dominant/submissive, switch, fetish, negotiation (could be in any of the categories), hard limits, soft limits, safe word, consent (also could be in any)

Good luck!