Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 03-03-2014, 06:37 AM

Default Curious about ending relationships..

Just sort of an informal poll:

Have you (Person A) ever had a relationship with someone (Person B) end primarily because of a 3rd party (metamour, Person C) and not because of something within the relationship between Person A and B?

Was the relationship ever re-instated (between Person A and B)? What were the circumstances around that?
Old 03-03-2014, 06:48 AM

Misunderstood the question

Last edited by Inyourendo; 03-03-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:52 AM

Default 3244985321

Oh you mean the 3rd person was someone you dated. My scenario was around a 3rd person who I am not romantically involved with, but thanks for the comment.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:31 AM

Unless the relationship between A and B is very weak, I don't believe it is possible for Person B to come between them.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:20 PM

happens all the time. My metamour demanded it or he would leave the marriage he has with my girlfriend. They have four kids and have been married 15yrs. I didn't want that responsibility so due to that duress its over. When children are involved it gives metamours a tool to use a wedge to force a relationship to end due to their own insecurities. Especially when they are the only bread winner of the house.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:46 PM

I had a situation where I was unhappy about the relationship between my partner and metamour. I did end the relationship but it was primarily due to communication problems between my partner and I. The friction between me and her metamour was just the final straw.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:49 PM

Yes, twice. Boyfriend 1 and I have no contact now, and I believe it is because the person who came between us, his domme, would be displeased with him if we did. I wrote to him a few times over the past few years and tried calling once and he never responded. We were together over two years and we had considered each other best friends. The domme had been up front with him about wanting him to get rid of me, and he wouldn't, so she resorted to manipulation and deceit and phony emails purporting to be from people we knew, etc. I hear that she wanted to get rid of a more recent partner of his because she didn't like the long-distance nature of it, and succeeded there too. I don't consider that boyfriend a great loss now, even though I loved him, because he is clearly her puppet. I see him sometimes across the room at events and he looks really unhappy.

I did try to reinstate the relationship with Boyfriend 2 about a year after we broke up. His wife had come between us because she was jealous and not owning it, after he and I had been together about a year. In the process of an attempted reconciliation, he revealed that he was more than a bit mentally unhinged and irrational, just like his wife, not to mention petty, resentful, hanging onto anger for minor things that had happened a long time ago. He actually told me that a more recent romantic partner of his, who by his own admission to me was avoiding having sex with him most of the time because she was "tired," was superior to me BECAUSE I had had sex with him pretty much whenever he wanted it. Apparently he equated withholding sex with virtue. Or something like that. His wife hadn't wanted to sleep with him much either, so I guess he was used to it. It was all just too loony and I did a quick 360 from wanting to reconcile with him to wanting nothing to do with him.

After these two experiences, I have learned that if a partner lets a third party come between us, he isn't worth hanging onto, and I should be the one leaving the relationship with skid marks. My current boyfriend's wife seems very supportive, but if she ever ceases to be so and he looks like he might give in to her, I will be outta there.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:42 PM

I had it happen late last year. His primary partner/fiancee told him it was either her or me because she felt threatened and didn't like me. Obviously, he chose the person he's loved for years and had been building a life with over the person he'd loved for months. Communication, goals, and pretty much everything else between he and I were great - the only issues we'd dealt with were hers.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:54 PM

It's happened to many people here, most often, it seems, to "unicorns" like myself.

Like AlwaysGrowing, it happened to me last year, and for similar reasons. The drama of the "primary" was too much for my partner to deal with, and the mental state of the "primary" was questionable enough that he felt he had no choice. Like AG, my partner and I had an otherwise very healthy, stable, and wonderful relationship, and our only real issue was the "primary."
Old 03-04-2014, 12:24 AM

Default ok

thanks for the responses everyone. so it looks like, once this happens, there isnt going back.