Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 03-21-2014, 09:46 PM
Official Greeter

Default 10-Page Thread Review

I am working on developing a list of cities (worldwide if possible) that, generally speaking, have a high percentage of poly residents, a goodly number of local poly social/support groups, and/or otherwise constitute a friendly setting for poly life. I have no hard data to go on, and would welcome any that's available, but so far I have been developing the list based on anecdotal evidence, reasonable guesswork, and word of mouth.

Here's the list so far:
  • Amsterdam, the Netherlands
  • Austin, Texas
  • Baltimore, Maryland
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • Dallas, Texas
  • Kansas City, Kansas/Missouri
  • Los Angeles, California
  • Portland, Oregon
  • San Francisco, California
  • Seattle, Washington
  • Tampa, Florida
  • Vancouver, B.C.
  • Victoria, B.C.
  • Washington, D.C.
For now I am alphabetizing the list by the city names (rather than, for instance, which State they're in). I can order things differently if such be the consensus.

Can you help us further develop this list? Have you any reason to believe that any of the cities listed should be removed from the list? Do you know of any cities that are not on the list that should be on the list?

Thanks everyone for your participation so far, and I look forward to further input.
Sincerely,
Kevin T.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:08 AM

I would think you could get .. 5 or 6 more vouches for Victoria off this site if the people were still active. For a long while this site had a prominent BC contingent haha
Old 03-22-2014, 07:02 AM

Definitely Victoria and Seattle.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:57 PM
Official Greeter

Cool guys, thanks for those confirmations.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdt26417 View Post
Yeah, I'm definitely interested in cities outside the United States; I just meant that the U.S. was what I had so far. Will add Victoria and Dallas. (If any have aught to say against Dallas, I could change that of course.) Good to hear a second vouch for Vancouver (and Boston).

I've been alphabetizing the cities by State, but I'm thinking alphabetizing by city name would make it easier to confirm whether this or that city was on the list.

@ Ryan3232 ... my info is anecdotal; I don't think formal studies have been done to analyze the poly percentages/activity in various cities. It's all word of mouth for now.

When I first started this thread, I was basically going on two bits of information. The first was the large number of poly people I was acquainted with who lived in Seattle, Austin, and Boston. Many of those people gave personal testimony as to the sizeable amount of poly activity and poly-friendliness in their city.

The second was a quote from The Polyamorous Misanthrope:

I should add that I have fielded this subject on another poly forum and have there heard the following:

Assuming that all that motley guesswork lines up with reality, I can proffer the following list:
  • Austin, Texas
  • Baltimore, Maryland
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • Dallas, Texas
  • Kansas City, Kansas/Missouri
  • Los Angeles, California
  • Portland, Oregon
  • San Francisco, California
  • Seattle, Washington
  • Tampa, Florida
  • Vancouver, B.C.
  • Victoria, B.C.
  • Washington, D.C.
A list like this could become a BFD someday, after it's been thoroughly filled in and corrected. For now it's just a start.

I appreciate the info, very informative. I learn something new everyday. Yes, I imagine there would not be many studies on the demographics of poly folks in cities, but I will take your word/anecdotal evidence and do some of my own exploring.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:51 AM
Official Greeter

That sounds good. And, whatever information you may come across, I'll be interested to hear about it. So don't be a stranger, visit this thread oft!
Old 03-26-2014, 07:17 AM

I will do so!

I check everyday, so I will keep in touch and post new information as it comes to me
Old 03-26-2014, 10:18 AM
Official Greeter

Thanks -- that sounds good.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:16 PM

Fo sho Seattle. Not only are there a bunch of groups/meetups/events that are poly-oriented, but the general attitude is chillax towards stuff like that. Pretty much no matter what you say to folks, they just respond with "Go Hawks!"

- Moonlight, single, leans monogamous, girlfriend since 6/2012
- Punk, married guy, poly, FWB since 9/2011 with an emphasis on the "F"
- No longer lives with ex-boyfriend Fly (1/2006 - 12/2013, my introduction to nonmonogamy, ultimately amicable breakup), and his 10-year-old son Kiddo
Old 03-26-2014, 10:27 PM

the suburbs of Syracuse, NY have a good number of poly peeps. We don't have meet ups as frequently because it's a large area and coordinating that many people takes practice, but we've had 20 people show up for a meet before.

Besides myself, Runic Wolf, Wendigo, Runic Wolf's girlfriend and her husband and his 2 girlfriends (who actually live further north), there is Runic Wolf's ex, her husband, her siblings, her ex, and several of our friends and acquaintances.

Tags
best poly cities, cities, lists, poly cities, poly community, poly-friendly, survey