No and I don't plan to 4 20.00%
No but I hope to soon 2 10.00%
Yes, I did straight away 8 40.00%
Yes, I did after 6 months of my first poly relationship 6 30.00%
Yes , I did after 12 months of my first poly relationship 0 0%
Yes, I did , after a fair bit longer 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2014, 11:26 AM

Default Poll-Have you come out (as poly)

I can see there is threads on advice for coming out, and experiences, but just wanted to gauge numbers (partly personally, partly being nosey.

For now it will just be very close friends that know about our situation (I have told one best friend, and I plan to talk to another tomorrow). If and when I become serious with someone, I hope to work out with my husband whether to share this information with family, and if so, who.

If it was just me to consider, I would be out and proud, but my husband is (at least for now, most likely will stay that way) mono, and I know he won't feel comfortable with family knowing that I am seeing other people, even if it is a woman, so for now it will just stay with close friends.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:35 PM

I was a poly teen. My first husband had a girlfriend and we came out from the start. My boyfriend is a co-worker of mine so everyone I know at work know I'm poly
Old 04-20-2014, 05:06 PM

I came out within a month to my friends, my extended family around 6 months. So I was out 100% at 6 months. It just became intolerable to me that I had to keep my loves and my life a secret.

Hinge in a poly-fi vee with two mono men
Wife to DarkKnight, Girlfriend to PunkRockAwesomesauce
My Online Journal
Old 04-20-2014, 06:21 PM

This poll is a bit vague. "Being out" has different levels. To me, it's not 100% out unless you are as free with the poly relationship as a monogamous; in other words, freely attending work/family functions with the various partners; posting on Facebook; casually mentioning when someone asks you if you're engaged yet, Oh, I have two boyfriends, actually.

I have slowly extended my "closet" to more and more trusted friends and family.

But it's hard for me to give a simple answer to, "Have you come out?" To some, yes, the first day. To others, after a month, or six months, or two years. For some, I don't ever plan to tell.

Fully coming out to me will be when I'm not worried about retribution against myself or the others involved.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:51 PM

I see what you mean PiP. I think in my head I meant out to most day to day people (ie immediately family, friends, work colleagues), but I can see how it is vague too. It is hard to quantify in such poll options.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:58 PM

I can't really say Yes or No, so I didn't vote. Personally, I don't go announcing what I do or how I live because I'm a very private person (for example, it's a pet peeve of mine when co-workers ask me what I did on my days off - it's my private time away from work and irrelevant to people I work with so I'd rather they leave me the fuck alone and just focus on what we have ahead of us). However, if people do ask me specifics about my relationships, I would tell them. I don't really celebrate most holidays and rarely ever get invited to events like weddings and such (I actually haven't been to a wedding in at least 10 years), so being "out there" in public situations like that is really not an issue for me. BTW, I am a solo poly, so my relationships are all separate and I live alone.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

An excellent blog post on hierarchy in polyamory:
solopoly.net/2014/10/31/why-im-not-a-secondary-partner-the-short-version/
Old 04-20-2014, 07:27 PM

Oh, and to further complicate, it started out as an open relationship, not poly. It evolved from a physical fling to something we both wanted to be a romantic relationship. So, when does "Day One" start? Day One from realizing I was poly? Took me about six months to adjust to the idea-- just for myself! Once he and I had an "official" talk; I told people within a week.

Sigh...being poly can make even questions like, "When was your first date"? a little complicated....
Old 04-20-2014, 08:17 PM

I just live my life...

If people are curious they will ask.
In a V relationship with an average 60/40 split of time. Only due to Murf's and Butch's crappy work schedules.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:35 AM

For me it is also a complicated answer. I have friends that are also poly that I can talk openly about which is great. However my family is very conservative Christian and I have no desire to ever tell them, as I know they would not be understanding at all. My parents have actually met my bf several times, and they think he is a great guy, but then again, they see him as my good friend, not as the dude dating their married daughter.
H-my partner
Old 04-21-2014, 04:40 AM

We all live together and everyone knows.
Our kids, nieces, nephews, grandkids and friends kids.
Classmates, coworkers etc.
Out on fb, in person. Not unusual for bf to drop me at school and dh to pick me up.
We don't hide or keep secrets about that.