Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 03-04-2014, 09:50 PM
Official Greeter

That Grandpa Simpson. (SMH)
Old 03-06-2014, 02:46 AM

Way before BBS's, I remember playing trivia with other people on a party line. Yes, that's right, a landline telephone! Some of us became friends and attended get-togethers after calling a 900 number and having conversations - those weren't just for phone sex or psychics! How's that for recalling the technology back in the good ol' days!

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

An excellent blog post on hierarchy in polyamory:
solopoly.net/2014/10/31/why-im-not-a-secondary-partner-the-short-version/

Last edited by nycindie; 03-06-2014 at 02:48 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:53 AM
Official Greeter

That crazy olden day technology. (SMH)
Old 03-06-2014, 02:57 AM

To continue the threadjack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Way before BBS's, I remember playing trivia with other people on a party line. Yes, that's right, a landline telephone! Some of us became friends and attended get-togethers after calling a 900 number and having conversations - those weren't just for phone sex or psychics! How's that for recalling the technology back in the good ol' days!
Love it! Chops and I took our kids into an antique shop last year, and they got to try out an old rotary phone. It was fun showing them how to use it, and watching them realize that numbers with 0s and 9s in them took forever to dial.
Xena: Poly. In a relationship with Chops. Dating others.
Noa: Married, Poly. In a relationship with Chops.

Blog thread: A Mono's Journey Into Poly-Land (or, "Aw hell, there's no road map?!")
Slightly more polished blog with a mono/poly focus: From Baltic to Boardwalk
Old 03-06-2014, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Oh yes, I too took part in those...party lines...
Old 03-06-2014, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreHere View Post
To continue the threadjack...

Love it! Chops and I took our kids into an antique shop last year, and they got to try out an old rotary phone. It was fun showing them how to use it, and watching them realize that numbers with 0s and 9s in them took forever to dial.
Oh, well, hey, when I was dialing party lines, at least I did have a push button phone! It was the 1980s! Here is a funny webpage I found: The 30 Weirdest 1-900 Numbers From The ’80s

My family's rotary phone lasted until about 1972, when I was 12. I remember playing around with the switch-hook (the thing you hung the phone up on) to dial numbers like Morse code, click-click-click was 3, and so on. Also, the town I grew up in used to publish its own phone book, of all residents in town, and everyone's number was listed with just the last four digits, cause we all had the same exchange (the first three digits).

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

An excellent blog post on hierarchy in polyamory:
solopoly.net/2014/10/31/why-im-not-a-secondary-partner-the-short-version/
Old 03-06-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
everyone's number was listed with just the last four digits, cause we all had the same exchange (the first three digits).
Ha! Yes - ours were the last five. And the first two numbers of the exchange (72) corresponded to "PA" on the dial, which were the first two letters in the city name. Like our very own Pennsylvania 6-5000. You used to be able to dial the last five digits only (for local calls), until they upgraded the phone system.

We used to be able to dial a different two-digit prefix (9-something?) and get the callback test. So, of course, at a friend's house, we'd dial the callback prefix and the rest of their number, then run and watch their parents answer a phone with nobody on the other end.

Aaaah, good times, good times...

Wait, what were we talking about again? Getting back on topic, this is kinda reminiscent of some stoner conversations I'd had back in the day...
Xena: Poly. In a relationship with Chops. Dating others.
Noa: Married, Poly. In a relationship with Chops.

Blog thread: A Mono's Journey Into Poly-Land (or, "Aw hell, there's no road map?!")
Slightly more polished blog with a mono/poly focus: From Baltic to Boardwalk
Old 03-06-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreHere View Post
Wait, what were we talking about again? Getting back on topic, this is kinda reminiscent of some stoner conversations I'd had back in the day...
Its all good... thats what happens when someone starts a "weed" thread, it eventually gets derailed into other "stoner" type conversation... invite a bunch of stoners into conversation, you are only asking to get it derailed and on track with other conversation not even pertaining to original thread. ;-P That is the stoner way. LOL
Old 03-06-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypsoblu View Post
Its all good... thats what happens when someone starts a "weed" thread, it eventually gets derailed into other "stoner" type conversation... invite a bunch of stoners into conversation, you are only asking to get it derailed and on track with other conversation not even pertaining to original thread. ;-P That is the stoner way. LOL
Odd.. amongst my friends when we got high we fucked.. or went skiing or biking.. we rarely sat around and just did nothing.

Guess thats the BC Bud way..
Old 03-06-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariakas View Post
Odd.. amongst my friends when we got high we fucked.. or went skiing or biking.. we rarely sat around and just did nothing.

Guess thats the BC Bud way..
I was referring to conversations had.... never once said we sat around and did nothing... we also biked, hiked...whatever floated our boats... but that didnt mean we didnt have some interesting conversation along the way. ;-)