Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 07-18-2011, 08:30 PM

Default My two cents

I just have to say, as a former Psychology major, this thread is entirely too fascinating!

Here is what mine came out to today:

Ta-dah, your personality type is ISTJ!

Introverted (I) 89%
Extraverted (E) 11%

Sensing (S) 50%
Intuitive (N) 50%

Thinking (T) 85%
Feeling (F) 15%

Judging (J) 64%
Perceiving (P) 36%

Years ago I took this type of test as part of a retreat in my youth group - Conservative Baptist upbringing - and I was actually INFP then.

Then, when I first got divorced, I was in a workshop hosted by a Presbyterian Church in our town, and I came out ESTJ.

Now I tend to vary somewhat, depending on the day, my mood, the status of my meds - did I mention I am also bi-polar? (My psychiatrist says I am hypo-manic.)

I have discussed this at length with my psychologist (I have the PsyD for talk therapy and the MD for the meds), and he says that the E and I interchange is actually common in some people. Some people can adapt very well to being extroverted in many situations, but then are introverted to recharge their batteries. I find that I am a lot like my parents on this - we all are very social when out and about or when at work, but when we get back home, to our "retreat", we need to wind down and not have outside distractions. My BF doesn't quite understand it - he doesn't understand why I don't like having people over to the house. My home is my own private area where I need to keep my introverted self separated from my extroverted self and the rest of the world.

As for poly, as I used to test INFP, I don't know if maybe that had something to do with my formative years, and perhaps I have always been poly (I am working this out in a very long fashion in my life story blog). Or perhaps now from the ISTJ perspective, as I thoroughly enjoy learning and researching and studying and analyzing, I simply have found a terminology and subject and group of supportive people who make sense to me, and who explain the way I have felt my whole life in a way that works for me.

I just know that, after discovering the word Polyamory in 2007, and devouring information on the topic since then, it makes more sense to me than the way I was living my life before. Though I admire, and crave, morals and values and structure, I also am always the first to question authority or the status quo, so perhaps a part of my personality says to society at large - why? Why does it have to be this way? Who says? Where does it say? What law is it breaking?

I heard a great line on a show once - not sure if it was a sporting event or a general TV show - "Rules are like the gates in slalom skiing: you get as close to them as possible without breaking them." That can be so true! While I respect rules, or laws, or even traditions, I still see the value in bending or challenging them - because in reality they serve a better purpose as a guideline rather than a set in stone mantra. The attraction to non-monogamy often times comes from a seeking out of something that non-conformists find can conform to their way of life, and not necessarily the other way around.

>^^<
Old 07-22-2011, 05:56 AM

When I take the test I usually come out either INTP or INFP--but always I, N, and P. I used to be very interested in personality typing, both with Myers-Briggs and the enneagram. I don't know if INFP is necessarily more common among the polyamorous, but I do know that it's a personality type that tends to like forums.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:43 AM

Default Behavior Styles - not personality styles

Dr William Moulton Marston spent an entire academic and professional career (1920s-50s) researching and writing about "normal" (meaning not a psychopath) human behavior - what it is and what triggers it, and how some people react one way while other react in different ways.

He understood that our behaviors are chosen, selectively - not just the way we are hard wired and there didn't seem to be huge differences in gender as there were in ages.

He has a lot of writings which are kind of fun to read and think about WHEN they were written.

He was in a long-term poly relationship and one of his wives really helped him formalize their ideas around the ability to scientifically detect when a person was lying - and he is credited as the inventor of the modern day lie detector.

Most interesting to me is that as a creative type of person, he penned the carton Wonder Woman to reflect his personal and professional beliefs about women.

So if this kind of stuff floats your boat, have fun!

http://www.discprofile.com/williammoultonmarston.htm
Old 07-07-2013, 01:41 PM

Default Love this shit

I love the Myers Briggs! I am an ESTJ-but I like to think of myself as a self-aware ESTJ which balances put my asshole tendencies lol. My husband is an INFP-complete opposites! Took us a while to learn how to talk to each other MD is an ISFP. Damn those introverts who don't like to verbally process shit! I need to find me an ENFP lol.
Currently dating SM, male, 40, monogamous
Old 07-07-2013, 06:34 PM

Estj here. I'm not religious nor do I like tradition other than wanting to be married an only cohabitate with 1 partner.

N is an intj although he's way more social than I am.

Last edited by Inyourendo; 07-07-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:31 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchescasc View Post
I love the Myers Briggs! I am an ESTJ-but I like to think of myself as a self-aware ESTJ which balances put my asshole tendencies lol. My husband is an INFP-complete opposites! Took us a while to learn how to talk to each other MD is an ISFP. Damn those introverts who don't like to verbally process shit! I need to find me an ENFP lol.
LOL, you might be talking to the wrong introverts. I'm an INFJ, and the only thing that keeps from trying to verbally process things is a room without people in it.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:43 PM

I just took the test again after taking it in school 7 years ago. I am not really surprised to find I tested as ESFP:

Quote:
Jungian functional preference ordering:
Dominant: Extraverted Sensing
Auxiliary: Introverted Feeling
Tertiary: Extraverted Thinking
Inferior: Introverted Intuition
But the Internet makes ESFP's out to be big attention seeking sluts!

But like Mouse told me, the Internet likes to exaggerate a lot.

OKC Profile

Me: bi, reformed wild-child turned mom and house maid LOL
Crux: straight/hypersexual, possibly mono?
BC: our son, 5 years
CM: second son 9 months.
Mouse: girlfriend! Status new, feelings not so much.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:16 PM

Default Introverts and verbal processing

LOL monkeystyle! My ISFP doesn't verbally process at all-though she's making an effort for our relationship, and I'm making the effort to adjust my expectations for words of affirmation (my love language) from her. I'm a Virgo and she's a Scorpio.....where does that kind of thing play into personality types lol?!
Currently dating SM, male, 40, monogamous
Old 07-08-2013, 12:19 AM

I am an ENFP, and my test was administered by an nurse who was doing her certification hours to be a psychologist or something. She was certified by the organization that 'owns' the Meyers-Briggs instrument. She showed me that my F/T scale was very close to the center, and explained that many women (at least in my age range, I don't know if it's different now) were socialized out of the 'thinking.' I thought that was really interesting.

She also showed me the percentages of types in the general population. I'm fairly certain FBF is an ISTJ, which is like 1%.

For those tracking or interested in such things, I'm also a double-libra, with a sagittarius moon (I have like one earth planet, everything is air)(my chart looks weird), and a metal rat.

The DiSC profile is supposed to be behaviour based, which is different than personality. I was surprised to find that I lead with S (which I think stands for steady - I like rules and making sure stuff happens in accordance with them)(libra/justice?). My second highest was i.

I find it all very interesting, and useful ways to talk about stuff, as long as no one takes it as something written in stone. It's not prescriptive, it's descriptive.

Me: female, bi, (formerly hinge of a vee)
with FirstBoyFriend (FBF)(moderately long-distance)
and no longer with CurrentBoyFriend (CBF)(who lives in the apartment building next door)
Old 07-08-2013, 08:16 AM

ENFP. Very much so. My ex was an ENTP, although her E/I was pretty close to the middle.

Not sure about the current gf. If I had to guess I'd say she's probably an INTJ or an INTP.

Tags
myers briggs, personality, personality test, personaltiy test, psychology