Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 07-08-2011, 01:59 AM

I am an INTJ through and through. Perhaps a little more sensitive than the average though. And I do adore INFPs .

Love languages:
30%- Quality Time
27%- Physical Touch
27%- Words of Affirmation
10%- Acts of Service
7%- Receiving Gifts
Old 07-08-2011, 02:36 AM

Perhaps INFPs are drawn to poly given how empathetic and relational they tend to be. They're also usually fairly introspective which lends itself to the awareness needed for success in poly.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:40 AM

Huh.. I think you're on to something here. I'm an INFP, and a practitioner of the myers Briggs type indicator. In my professional opinion, any type would be amenable to poly, but the ones who are NF's, especially so, since were tied to living our values and protecting them. Personal opinion? Anyone can live effectively in a poly lifestyle.

Id love to do a study on the population.

Keep in mind the driving force for an NF is preserving or creating harmony. Sometimes it takes more people to have harmony. Also makes it hard to balance.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:45 PM

Default A study would be fascinating!

I think it would be fantastic if you did a study on the population, Djinni!

This is a fascinating thread, and it raises lots of intriguing questions concerning the relationship between poly and personality.

For instance, why do INFPs seem to be much more prevalent here than they do in the general population? (I'm an INFP too, and I can't help but be intrigued by this question - my impression has long been that INFPs are relatively rare, but we seem to be a dime a dozen here on the board...) Djinni, you've just spoken to this question, as have others in the thread, but it would be so interesting to see the results of a few full-blown studies. (If only there were poly-friendly organizations with large of sums of money who were chomping at the bit to fund such studies!)

I can't help but wonder - have there been any studies at all on the intersection between polyamory and the Myers-Briggs type indicator? It seems not... More generally, when it comes to polyamory, it seems like there's a ton of fascinating new territory for all kinds of people to explore - social scientists, psychologists, novelists, film makers, artists of other sorts...

Anyway, again, this is such an interesting thread! Thanks to everyone who has contributed.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:12 PM

I don't think you will find a lot of ISTJ poly people. I am an ISTJ but I am also very monogamous (in how I form singular bonds with a romantic partner). I definitely see trends in the social backgrounds and values of people who are poly. Not everyone is included in this but there are some very common shared interests and opinions.

No cheating..that's where I see ISTJ's excelling, usually because they can't see beyond the conditioned norms.

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 07-09-2011, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbunting View Post
For instance, why do INFPs seem to be much more prevalent here than they do in the general population? (I'm an INFP too, and I can't help but be intrigued by this question - my impression has long been that INFPs are relatively rare, but we seem to be a dime a dozen here on the board...)
Hah! I had sent an email to my dear friend, Snowbunting, earlier today, not knowing that she had posted this here yesterday. In that email I asked her what her Keirsey / MB type was. You see, I was almost certain she must also be an INFP (like me, like my boyfriend), 'cause we can't keep track of how many things we share in common. (Dozens and dozens, at least!)

(Carl Sagon would say ... Billions and billions.)

In so many ways she resembles the female version of myself. Or do I resemble the male version of herself? Hmm.

BTW, I think the statistic was that INFPs are the rarest of the types, and only about 1% of the overall population.

River's Blog

Last edited by River; 07-09-2011 at 01:55 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:17 AM

Hypothesis as to why there are so many INFPs among the poly folk here:

Keirsey calls the INFP, The Healer. > Healers generally need some healing; it's part of the job description > intensive intimacy with multiple partners is intrinsically healing for us, because of contrast and difference in individuals. (No one person can figuratively and literally touch us in all of the places we need to be touched, in order than we can serve as Healer.)

All good healers are folks who have suffered severe or significant wounds. The Healer is so sensitive that his/her wounds are intensified by that sensitivity.

River's Blog
Old 07-11-2011, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post

No cheating..that's where I see ISTJ's excelling, usually because they can't see beyond the conditioned norms.
Crap! I meant to say "Now cheating" not "no cheating"

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 07-11-2011, 06:00 AM

Maybe INFP's just are more inclined to write on a forum such as this one? After all, only about 1% write on here while the other 99% lurk... maybe we are just not lurkers?
Old 07-11-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
Maybe INFP's just are more inclined to write on a forum such as this one? After all, only about 1% write on here while the other 99% lurk... maybe we are just not lurkers?
Maybe so. But we cannot survey the lurkers. They'll lurk the survey.

River's Blog

Tags
myers briggs, personality, personality test, personaltiy test, psychology