Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 02-12-2014, 09:26 PM

Post Study for consensual non-monogamists: Participants wanted!

Hi folks,

My name is Tyler Burleigh.

Iím a PhD student doing some research on how consensually non-monogamous individuals evaluate relationships using partial information. Iím looking for consensually non-monogamous individuals (e.g., swingers, people in open relationships, polyamorists) to participate in a brief (10 min.) online study.

If you participate, you will be asked to read statements describing relationships involving two or more individuals, and then asked to answer questions about each relationship using your own best judgment. You will also be asked some personal questions, such as your age, sex, relationship status, and relationship orientation.

In return for your participation, you will have the option of entering into a draw for a $50 cash prize (odds of winning, 1:100).

Thank you for your time! Below you will find a link to the study, and a copy of the certificate of approval from my Research Ethics Board.

Link to Study

Certificate of Approval (PDF)
Old 02-13-2014, 02:15 AM

Sorry, I tried your survey.

I exited after about a dozen questions.
The responses required that I make judgments based on knowledge not available from the turned over card/cards.

Perhaps the responses you are looking for are not what I would be prepared to give based on the available information.

Last edited by TheWizardofBC; 02-13-2014 at 02:27 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:23 AM

Looks like you just need to click on the link to the survey that was provided, in order to take part.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 02-13-2014, 02:34 AM

Quick-but bizarre.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingRadiance View Post
Quick-but bizarre.
I agree!

Very different from the usual surveys we see here.

Please come back and let us know what the study showed.
Lotus: poly bi female, "it's complicated" relationships with Dude/JaneQ/MrS
TT: poly bi male, married to Lotus, FB with JaneQ
VV and MsJ: bi-women with male primaries, LTR LDR FWBs to JaneQ

My poly blogs on this site:
The Journey of JaneQSmythe
The Notebook of JaneQSmythe
Old 02-21-2014, 08:31 PM

That was a really strange survey.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:41 PM

Default Summary of findings

Hi folks,

It's me again.

Thanks to everyone who participated in the research study.

JaneQSmythe asked that I come back to share my research findings, so here I am.

In a few weeks, I will be attending a conference where I will be presenting my research, and I have prepared a poster that summarizes my findings that I would like to share with you. Here is a PDF version: http://www.tylerjohnburleigh.com/ISJ...0ZS%20Love.pdf (Note: Adobe Acrobat is recommended for viewing it).

Happy to answer any questions.

Tyler
Old 06-05-2014, 07:16 PM

Thank you for coming back with the results! Appreciate!
Old 06-05-2014, 07:21 PM

Very interesting! Did any of the results surprise you?
Old 06-05-2014, 07:58 PM

One thing that surprised me was the extent to which monogamous individuals' love judgments explained their judgments of fairness. We found full mediation, which means love judgments perfectly explained fairness judgments. Of course, this doesn't mean that all fairness/moral judgments come down to perceptions about love, since there are many variables we didn't include in the model (and replication would also be necessary with different samples, etc etc..). But it's a pretty strong finding nonetheless and that surprised me!

Oh, I almost forgot! I should also share with you a supplemental finding:
http://tylerjohnburleigh.com/Supplemental.pdf (Again, Adobe Acrobat is recommended).

This gives important context to the differences between monogamous and CNM folks' ratings. Basically, in social psychology, whenever you look at ingroup/outgroup perceptions, you have to ask whether inter-group differences in judgment are due to ingroup favouritism (i.e., "our group is right/good"), outgroup negativity (i.e., "their group is wrong/bad"), or both.

So what's interesting here is that while CNM folks rated the CNM vignettes higher than the monogamous vignettes, it was not because they rated the monogamous vignettes as particularly negative, which suggests that CNM did not show outgroup negativity, but only ingroup favouritism. However, when you look at monogamous folks, many of them gave low ratings of the CNM vignettes, which suggests that they showed both ingroup favouritism AND outgroup negativity.

It is not particularly surprising that there are monogamous individuals who perceive CNM folks negatively (in fact, this is further evidence of our hypothesis). However, it is surprising that CNM folks didn't also show outgroup negativity.

Taking off my researcher hat for a moment, I like to think that this lack of negativity is due to CNM folks' understanding and beliefs about relationships -- that perhaps there is no such thing as a "wrong" relationship between two consenting adults. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited by tylerburleigh; 06-05-2014 at 08:05 PM. Reason: typo