Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 02-08-2014, 05:14 AM

Default How do I tell a potential new lover I am poly?

Have any of you had to do this and how did you do it? Also if you haven't had to do but have really good advice please reply.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:25 AM

If you do a little searching and reading through these forums, you'll find... oh, about a million threads on this subject, with good feedback and suggestions.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 02-08-2014, 09:00 PM

I had to do this with Gralson when we started dating. I just told him, "You need to know that I'm polyamorous. That means that I don't subscribe to monogamy, and that if someone comes along whom I want to date, I'm going to date them. If you want to date me, it means accepting that."

As difficult as it can be to broach the subject, it's always harder the longer you wait. Wait long enough, and you open the door to feelings of betrayal and dishonesty. The sooner you bring it up, the more likely they are to trust you when you tell them you believe in honesty and open communication.

Some people find it's easier to broach the subject hypothetically... e.g. "Hey, I saw this video online yesterday about polyamory. You know, people in open relationships? What do you think about that?" If they shut right down, then you can save yourself the trouble and quietly cross them off the "potential lover" list. If they seem open to the idea but confused or uncertain, you can explain more about it. If you get to a point where it seems they might accept it, you can mention that you've always felt that way but you've never met someone who was willing to give it a shot, or something along those lines.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 02-08-2014, 09:29 PM

I don't "date" per se - but we tend to only get involved with people who already know us (and anyone who knows us socially, knows that we are together) or that we have met through a venue where the poly is disclosed up-front (like MeetUps or on OKC).

Since MrS and I wear wedding bands and Dude lives with us - it would be pretty hard for us to keep the poly a secret from anyone that really got to know us...so it is unlikely to ever be a problem.
Lotus: poly bi female, "it's complicated" relationships with Dude/JaneQ/MrS
TT: poly bi male, married to Lotus, FB with JaneQ
VV and MsJ: bi-women with male primaries, LTR LDR FWBs to JaneQ

My poly blogs on this site:
The Journey of JaneQSmythe
The Notebook of JaneQSmythe