Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Life stories and blogs

Notices

Old 01-11-2014, 11:56 PM

Location: English Rose by birth; Calling the Southern Hemi home by choice.

I am thrilled that you decided to start a blog. Even if it is a short one. It is nice to get the full picture and learn more about you and how you got to where you are today. I look forward to reading more from you when you do update. xo

Ry

My Blog
Old 01-12-2014, 01:56 AM
Official Greeter

Heh. Update. Funny.

"Snowbunny and I watched another episode of Law & Order: CI today. Oh and Brother-Husband and I watched another episode of the Following.

And in the weather news, lots of rain and wind today, with some breaks of Sun from time to time. Lunch was Amy's Mattar Paneer, with the last of the Bolthouse Mocha Peppermint, and leftover pasta is forecast for dinner. With salad. And a banana for dessert maybe.

This week's highlight: Snowbunny and I tried out a Mexican restaurant yesterday, the Mayan. Pretty decent and glad I got to try it, but not so OMG-gotta-have it that I'd ask for the tedious drive across town to get to it. Still have some closer places to try. The Thai places have been great so far. Outstanding chicken massaman every one."

Hmmm. Can't think of a lot besides all that ... Mind-blowing vanilla sex on Monday as is the tradition every Monday ... Does that count?

Srsly, our life'd bore just about anyone to tears, and it barely changes if any from week to week, month to month ... even year to year usually sees minor changes tops. I could just about copy/paste one update into the next update, ya know? But, the thing is, boring is great. It's awesome. I happily type away at my computer most of the day, and my Polyamory.com posts probably describe the most excitement I usually have around here. Life's short, and I enjoy the little things. Waking up with the cat snuggled next to me. Is a Heavenly delight. The trees and rain and sheltered skies out my window. Even archiving old emails has a certain charm to it. What, why's everyone looking at me so strange?

We might eventually try out some local poly groups around here. Not in a big hurry though. Now and then we see our closeby relatives, which is great. And I sure do love the "apartment" (breathes more like a brand spanking new house or condo) we live in. Just sayin'.

Ah Ry, 'f only my blog was as cool as yours has been -- and as replete with heavy-duty moments and insights. Mine is just a brief summary -- no special lessons to be drawn from it. My past is more exciting than my present, so maybe I'll talk more about my past as time goes by. But by no means does that mean I don't like the present. The past is the building blocks that made this moment possible.

@ RainyGrlJenny ... thanks; I'm glad to be here.

Oh, forgot to mention in my main narrative. Since the inception of our V, we've always all three been primary to one another. No secondaries in this group. Although, if we started dating (no sex unless and until the new person was totally integrated into "The Inner Circle"), would the person we dated be a secondary? Hmmm. Technically I guess. Although I'd be more inclined to describe them as "just a date."

Thanks for your posts and input everyone; always glad to have company here.
Sincerely,
Kevin T.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:45 AM

Location: English Rose by birth; Calling the Southern Hemi home by choice.

It sounds like moving did a world of good for you. I am happy that you all are settling in, exploring your new city, and enjoying being close to relatives. Change can be a good thing.

I have learned that boredom is a great thing. I would not consider your life boring. Personally, I need and crave structure, and consistency (boredom) has provided that. It keeps me in line and out of trouble. My blog was only interesting because of all the madness and flip flopping of 2013. I matured, and I grew out of my own glaring interests in my happiness and what I wanted/thought I needed. We have calmed down, settled into our new normal, and our lives are nothing like that now. I will take boredom any day over the period from March-December.

I love Law and Order: CI. I will watch a marathon in a heartbeat. I am pretty keen on all of the L&Os.

It is always refreshing to get an update from you, and I hope your Sunday is just as relaxed and easygoing as the rest of your week! xo

Ry

My Blog
Old 01-12-2014, 07:21 PM
Official Greeter

I'm a huge L&O fan. My younger brother has a law degree and tells me that L&O is the most realistic dramatic portrayal he's seen on TV of how the legal system works. Every episode is interesting and enjoyable, the acting is always great, the layout is superb. And there's the occasional episode that's just a mind-blower. We're working on CI for now, but will eventually get to SVU and the original L&O series as well.

We actually did have some excitement last night: a series of power outages due to rains and high winds (gusts up to 50 m.p.h.). A lot of tree limbs were snapped off and a substation and several relay points went down. Luckily we live right next to a hospital, which means getting the power back up in our area would be a priority. Snowbunny had a battery-operated laptop, but the internet service went down too when the power went down.

Today'll still be windy and rainy but not like yesterday, so I think we'll get to keep our power up for the duration of this storm system. There's a flood watch but no flood warning.

The move itself from New Mexico to Washington involved a harrowing two-day drive, with both pets in a packed car with us. My pdoc suggested small doses of my Xanax script for the pets, which did help them during the trip, but the poor cat really came down hard off the Xanax, I think. That and honestly, having a tiny bit of a litter box in the car stressed her out and I think she ended up blocking herself up.

So there we were in a little extended stay place at the end of the trip, trying to sleep after 15 straight hours on the road, and Rainee started pacing (actually wobbling) back and forth, crying her eyes out. Given that she's not a vocal cat, she must have been scared to death and/or in pain. I soon rolled back out of bed and started crawling around with her -- which helped. Eventually she found her way to the windowsill where she could look outside. That helped. Later she found her way under my bed, which helped.

Several hours later Brother-Husband and Snowbunny got up and went to purchase some supplies. They returned with a big roomy litter box for Rainee, and that helped to no end. From that moment on her morale and physical condition started to improve dramatically. Several days later when we arrived at the roomy place we now live in, Rainee was greatly pleased and has been in Seventh Heaven since then.

It took all of us a few weeks to acclimatize to the local microbes and new atmosphere, but things are truly great by now and we are all really happy. For a time we had talked about moving to Utah, but I don't think that would have been a good place for us. Better to live in a State now, that, among other things, was one of the very first States to implement same-sex marriage by a popular vote (no court intervention necessary). It's more progressive, and more in line with our ideals.

Anywayz, so now we're settling into our boring routine and basking in it. I expect lots of the same-ol', same-ol', and perhaps some occasion for reflection.

Sometimes one must go through a crucible before figuring out the best way to do things. But it sure seems worth it, now that we're at the other end of the tunnel.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:05 PM

Kevin, just wanted to drop a note and say that your 'boring' life is one of the most pleasant reads on a poly forum site I've encountered. I've been reading your posts since Poly Percs back in 2008 or so (and whatever happened to that site?) and you've been a wonderful voice of reason throughout the years. It's a pleasure to read about your daily grind, and frankly interesting since I've wondered in the past how things with your Vee function.

A smooth poly life is never truly boring. The world needs to see more examples like this. Not just the dysfunctional ones.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:42 PM
Official Greeter

Amen, brother.

Who knows what happened to Poly Percs. Last I checked in New Mexico it was up and running. Then when I arrived in Washington, it was gone! Tried to email Fire God about it, but as his email addy was Ppercs based I was coincidentally unable to reach him. I knew the site was due for some maintainance, but had no clue it was just gonna disappear. D'oh!

Yes, this drama-free life you've been hearing about is a real thing; it really happens. My companions eye me strangely sometimes and wonder why I bother with poly forum activity. What do I get out of it? they wonder. Since they're content with our life together, they feel no compulsion to seek out other poly peeps for advice and support. I can only assure them that I desire to type out tons and tons of text. And get accolades for it too -- now that's what really keeps me coming back.

Anyway, always good to see an old friend around here. Thanks for your kind post.
Kevin.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:58 PM

^^^^accolades kdt^^^

I'm glad you started a blog Kevin. I find it interesting. As someone who is seeing someone much younger, I am also fascinated by your life. I have no idea if Whip and I will stay together for decades but the implications of that have crossed my mind.

I'm always intrigued by folks who are in good poly situations and do not have any need to reach out or interact with other poly folks. It's a perfectly legit way of doing things, obviously.

I just like to know what's out there. I seek out forums like this, or local groups, or books, or whatever. My natural default is research so I 'know all the things!' (or think I do ). I have trouble even imagining the opposite. What would *that* be like?

Anyhoo, I look forward to hearing about your current L&O watching!
Old 01-14-2014, 09:41 PM
Official Greeter

Haha, we are almost done with CI; not sure what the plan is next as Snowbunny's a bit disillusioned with various things about Netflix so we may end up starting CVU or the original L&O thru some other streaming service or whatnot.

I like Goren and Eames (and the fact that they're still here after all these seasons), but I've enjoyed all the other detectives and characters as well. My only complaint is that the "newfangled arrangement" of the theme song is way overdone in this last bit of the series. TBH? I like the arrangement in the original L&O series the best. Guess I'm a fogey ...

There is much about people and relationships that fascinates me, but perhaps polyamory (and the cloud of issues surrounding it) particularly tweaks my curiosity. How do people manage to juggle multiple romances? What are the pitfalls? Are we all natually non-monogamous? (My current theory is that what Homo sapiens really is, is a very, very diverse species. Sexuality ranges from gay to straight, kink to vanilla -- why not polyamorous to monogamous as well? The only problem is that cultural conditioning skews the would-be mono-to-poly ratio.) Even, how do people define poly words, how strongly do they feel about it, and how does that relate to their philosophies and life choices? etc. ...

Course I'm interested in a lot of things, and frequently find the Fireplace board to be a fun playground. But I like to talk about relationships and I like the fact that on Polyamory.com I can talk about them more freely than I could elsewhere on the web. It's this site's specialty. I like the fact that it's such a central gathering place. It tends to show up at or near the top of any poly google search. I feel that by plugging myself in on this site, I plug myself into the latest news on what polyamorists far and wide are thinking and doing. I like being a part of it, and I manage to help people sometimes which is a great bonus.

I'm on Facebook but it's pretty light and doesn't get far into what makes people tick. I'm on Fetlife as well but it still tends to be rather light and the layout makes it harder to ferret out the most interesting conversations. I like the journalesque feel of Polyamory.com, if that makes any sense. I can usually run into heavy-duty stuff here without looking too far. I like stuff that really challenges my cognition and imagination.

I think Facebook is so popular because so many people are comfortable with keeping it light. And I get in that mood myself. I like joking around and socializing with people. But most of my (well, what I think is) profound thinking (and writing) comes out of what I read and write on Pcom.

Eh, this ain't my most brick solid prose and perhaps misses the heart of what I'm doing here. Could it be that I simply like the greater amount of structure (unlike Facebook and Fetlife where you can just go all over the place, and never find a good stopping place)? Who knows ...

Ahhh, nice tasty accolades.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:11 AM

More accolades from this department too!
Very nice to read how poly is working out for your triad.
Keep on typing large blocks of text, I enjoy reading them.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:43 AM

I love the way you write! It's like having a conversation.

Tags
alzheimer's, asperger's, brainwashing, mormon, vanilla