Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Life stories and blogs

Notices

Old 08-14-2015, 08:43 PM

Default How to deal with poly/mono conflict?

Have any of you guys been in the situation I'm in?

I think I'm basically polyamorous in that I don't feel it's wrong to sleep with multiple persons and I don't think I'd get that jealous if my partner wanted to sleep with someone else if it was just physical. I've not been cheated on as far as I know so maybe I would change my belief if that happened to me.

The situation is that I didn't really know about polyamory and so had a long term monogamous relationships in which I kind of fell in love with the girl. Everything would have been perfect- I don't have a single negative thought about her, I think she is a rose with no thorn and I adore her. Problem is she is super super monogamous. It sickens her that I might want to sleep with others and that is the reason we have not been together the past 5 years. I have had many flings since but have never wanted to get close to anyone else. I can't forget her. She's tried to move on with various relationships but they haven't worked out for her for various reasons. She's in a bad way.

Our sexualities can't work as they are. I'd love to go back to her and say 'hey I'm cured, I can have a monogamous relationship and commit to it!' but I don't know if I can keep such a vow. It hurts.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:05 PM

Your description of yourself probably is more sexually focussed than polyamorous. i.e. It doesn't sound like love is your motivator.

And personally I don't think "cured" is an appropriate term. Actually, I find it rather offensive.

Bottom line is if you are incompatible in this fundamental way, you are incompatible. If you really are "kind of in love with the girl" then don't start something again you can anticipate is going to end badly.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:02 PM

Do keep in mind that you number among the incompatible people she has had relationships with. I don't know what her situation is but she probably needs a steady friend a lot more than another failed romance.

Leetah
Old 08-14-2015, 11:12 PM
Official Greeter

Hi sezchwarn,

I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "We get along perfectly, other than the one little thing." Only the "little" thing isn't little at all, it's a fundamental difference in how nonmonogamy is viewed and it's a huge, gigantic issue. Minimizing it doesn't help. Your partner (Can she be a partner after five years of separation?) needs to get a strictly monogamous partner. Having a nonmonogamous partner is a terrible mismatch for her. That remains true even if she's having trouble finding someone new. There's nothing else for it, she'll just have to keep trying (if she still wants a partner).

I know you want to be Mr. Right for her, you want to help her, you want to be there for her, and not just as a friend. But I think a friend is the most you can be for her, at least if you and she are both going to live happily and honestly with yourselves and each other. Based on your description of her, I don't think there's any chance she'll ever be okay with nonmonogamy. It hurts to see that reality, but there's a lifetime of greater hurt if you try to not see it.

I do sympathize with you; you have a really difficult situation on your hands.

Sincerely,
Kevin T.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:20 PM

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. I used that term more because she'd maybe see it that way, but I personally do not see anything wrong with polyamory.

Well I suppose it wouldn't be loving in the sense that I like the idea of emotionally committing to just one other person. But it would in the sense that I'd always have a caring/supportive connection with anyone I see. It's just the first might be a forever kind of thing, the others, no necessary commitment.
I don't know if that confirms or changes your viewpoint?

"you are incompatible"- It seems that way but I suppose I'm trying to make sure that is definitely the case, by drawing on the past experience of others who may have been in a similar situation and chosen either path, before I totally abandon the idea of us being together. The idea of not being with her is as crushing as suppressing my desires would be, just in a different way. I mean, it's been 5 years and no one has come close.

Yeah, you're right Leetah. Thanks for both your inputs.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:24 PM

"I don't think there's any chance she'll ever be okay with non monogamy."

You're right there. If anyone were to capitulate, it would be me. I suppose I'm trying to figure out if I am truly poly or just a bloke who needs a bit of self discipline (my dad was not a positive role model).
You all seem to suggest that compromising/altering sexual compulsions is not a doable thing.

"I do sympathize with you; you have a really difficult situation on your hands."

Thank you. It rules my life. I've spent the last years focused on personal development and introspection, to remove emotional issues in a hope that might do something. If I didn't have such a magical view of this girl it wouldn't be an issue. She's done a lot for me and I have massive respect for who she is.

Last edited by sezchwarn; 08-14-2015 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:53 PM
Official Greeter

It's not for certain that you can't live monogamously; only you can know that, and you can certainly try. Do you think you can give nonmonogamy up? You said in your first post, "I'd love to go back to her and say, 'Hey I'm cured, I can have a monogamous relationship and commit to it!' but I don't know if I can keep such a vow." Maybe you should try if you're not sure?
Old 08-14-2015, 11:59 PM

Actually, sorry for posting so many times in a row but I think I've figured out what I need. The issue was never our differing sexual attitudes but the lack of understanding of each other's sexual attitudes.

I don't get the viewpoint that it's inherently bad to sleep with multiple partners. Whenever I talk to the monogamous they simply say 'well, it's just wrong, isn't it' which doesn't aid my understanding.

The only way I have been able to rationalise it is as insecurity of one's own desirability and fear of being abandoned- which I can sympathise with. It's just that it seems to me the best way to deal with insecurities is to face them rather than place restrictions on each other in order to never have to face them.

But I could be barking up the wrong tree. I feel if I could understand the difference in attitude between the two camps, I would be better able to assess the right course of action. Ultimately, kdt, if I changed my belief system through seeing it in a new light, I could easily be monogamous- there is no uncontrollable physical convulsion, it's just I resent repression of my feelings unless I believe they are bad (like feelings to eat sugary stuff).

So, any resources or personal viewpoints on why there is difference or where the monogamous are coming from?
Old 08-15-2015, 12:34 AM
Official Greeter

Re:
Quote:
"I don't get the viewpoint that it's inherently bad to sleep with multiple partners."
It isn't inherently bad. That particular viewpoint is conditioning talking. There is a book you should read, "Sex at Dawn: how we mate, why we stray, and what it means for modern relationships," by Christopher Ryan and Cacilda Jethá. It does a good job of explaining how humans are actually made for nonmonogamy (contrary to popular belief).

Just a thought ...
Regards,
Kevin T.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sezchwarn View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. I used that term more because she'd maybe see it that way, but I personally do not see anything wrong with polyamory.
Thanks for the apology. I appreciate your clarification.

Quote:
Well I suppose it wouldn't be loving in the sense that I like the idea of emotionally committing to just one other person. But it would in the sense that I'd always have a caring/supportive connection with anyone I see. It's just the first might be a forever kind of thing, the others, no necessary commitment.
I don't know if that confirms or changes your viewpoint?
It was particularly the "if it was just physical" part of you thinking about your partner sleeping with another person that caught my attention. And now you say you would have a supporting/caring connection with any of your, shall we say, extra-curricular partners, but you'd perhaps be concerned if your primary partner had a connection with any of her other sexual partners? A little more soul searching might be in order here.

Quote:
I don't get the viewpoint that it's inherently bad to sleep with multiple partners. Whenever I talk to the monogamous they simply say 'well, it's just wrong, isn't it' which doesn't aid my understanding.
'bad' and 'wrong' are subjective and are most likely to reflect the value systems that a person has absorbed in childhood. These might have been reinforced in teenagehood as the capacity for romantic love grows and the competition may be fierce. Unfortunately a lot of people end up never really examining their values, their origins and their counterparts, so yeah, you'll just get those types of responses.

Go watch this on fidelity and infidelity as it explains quite well why it's not actually about the act of having sex.