Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Old 12-21-2013, 01:59 PM

I live with Hank (we have our own bedrooms). Me and him have one date night a week, but are planning to increase it to two now that his incredibly time-consuming course is over. Rory spends two nights a week with me at our place. The three nights that are left, I go to hobbies, see friends and possibly date other people. I see Maxine about once or twice a month.
Me: bi female in my 30's
Live-in partners: Hank and rory
Partner: Yvonne
Seeing where things go with: Ash and Ben

Old 12-22-2013, 04:47 AM

Previously, I spent most days with Fly, seeing Moonlight for a few hours one night during the week and usually an overnight on the weekend. She and I also have taken several weekend trips.

However, this schedule arose from a need to create a stable schedule for Kiddo, and a desire to have dinner as a family as much as possible. Fly's unpredictable work schedule (distribution manager for a bakery) was a factor also, as someone had to be home I with Kiddo if Fly got called into work in the middle of these night. If there hadn't been a child involved, things probably would have been more equitable.

Now that Fly and I have broken up, I imagine Moonlight and I will be spending much more time together, especially once I have my own place. After coming out of a nearly 8-year relationship, I'm not looking to add any new relationships anytime soon. I still talk to Punk frequently, and will probably see him sporadically, as has been our routine for the last year or so.

My main concern during this transition is to make sure I build in time to "be my own primary." Fly took advantage of my nurturing nature, and really controlled my time and schedule to suit his wants and desires. Now that I'm creating my life anew, I want to be conscientious about dating myself, too.

- Moonlight, single, leans monogamous, girlfriend since 6/2012
- Punk, married guy, poly, FWB since 9/2011 with an emphasis on the "F"
- No longer lives with ex-boyfriend Fly (1/2006 - 12/2013, my introduction to nonmonogamy, ultimately amicable breakup), and his 10-year-old son Kiddo
Old 12-22-2013, 10:43 AM

I live with my husband, so I see him every day, but because we are both so busy with work and friends and other partners, we have to schedule date nights.. There's usually one or two nights a week where we are both home but doing our own stuff, and one night a week that is really date night, we like to go out for those because staying in usually means we end up doing our own stuff

I see my BF Brig once a week, this includes sleepover. MrBrown and I were on hiatus for a couple of months, but I'd say our average is about once every 5 weeks (dates include sleepovers about half of the time). Sometimes a brief coffee date in between.

I see Knight for drinks once every 2 months or so.

With the busy social life I have (lots of friends, and I like to meet people one on one) this makes for a very busy schedule, and the person who gets lost is mostly me, I really have to schedule date night with just me sometimes!
early forties, straight.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:49 AM

I have one partner at the moment. He's been dating recently though. We see each other a few days a week when my boy is at school and do at least one overnight a week. That's been harder recently due to the holidays and some family stuff.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:03 PM

I see my partners once a week - maybe twice. I'd like it to be more, but their schedules with others don't allow for that. I live with my husband.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:24 PM

I live with my husband in one country with kids and pets and a partridge in a pear tree. I see him every day unless I'm on a work trip.

My sweetie lives in another country and I make it a point to get up there for 4-5 days (including travel time, which is 4-8 hours each way depending on flights) every 2-3 months, depending on work and holidays.

Next year we'll move 'home' - ie. to the same country my sweetie is in - for a number of months, and airfare/travel time will go from $500 and 4-8 hours to a hundred bucks and a quick flight, which I'm really, really excited for. My husband and I are negotiating how that will work, but we're talking about every couple weeks going up there for a weekend or having him visit us so he can be more part of the family we have here.

However, after that we're off into the wilds again for another 2-3 years. Right now my Sweetie and I are at least in the same time zone as one another. Next time, I'll be 8ish hours off, and flights to and fro will be longer and much more expensive. I'm starting to reassess whether it's possible to have the relationship I want and the job/lifestyle that I have and mapping out my opportunities for off-ramps in the future that would let us spend more time in the same place, but that's a really tense and challenging conversation to have and we're hoping to delay it for a while and see how things grow.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:06 AM

I live with my husband and our two kids, so we see each other daily. That doesn't necessarily translate to all that much quality time though. It's hard in part because quality time means different things to each of us. We try to have date nights somewhat regularly but we aren't great about it.

I usually see my bf 2 or 3 times a week, occasionally more often, but in that case the extra times are pretty short. It adds up to around 4 hrs in total. We usually check in daily by text, very briefly. I would like to have more time with him, but that's all that he can manage. The time we do have is very focused on each other, and we connect well.

My husband just started to date; he isn't seeing anyone regularly.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:45 AM

JP and I email/talk daily and have a regularly scheduled date night every Wednesday (subject to change due to work/other scheduling needs). Friday evenings are family dinners with all 3 of us and J's parents. JP and I usually have a sleepover at my place either Friday or Saturday night - at his and J's house the other weekend night. Most of the weekend days are spent with all 3 of us at their house.

I'd like to have more time together - but work schedules get in the way....