Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 12-14-2013, 02:13 AM

I'm married - so most people assume that I am straight and monogamous and I don't get asked about it much. That being said:

We are not "out" except to friends. But Dude lives with us, which is common knowledge to immediate family (who likely suspect closer to the truth ), acquaintances, and coworkers.

Depending on circumstances I will refer to Dude as "our friend" or "our roommate". (My FWBs are usually "friend" or "girlfriend" - which people tend to take in the platonic sense...their error, not mine.)

Even at THAT I sometimes get incredulous looks from people...apparently married women aren't "supposed" to go to lunch or movies, etc. with male "friends" (although I also do these things with actual male friends who aren't my boyfriend ) AND, in our area at least, professional 30-something married people are not supposed to have "roommates" either (that is something that poor college students or city people do ).

I don't "date" per se - so the answer to that would be "no" - but nobody ever asks...because I am married.
Lotus: poly bi female, "it's complicated" relationships with Dude/JaneQ/MrS
TT: poly bi male, married to Lotus, FB with JaneQ
VV and MsJ: bi-women with male primaries, LTR LDR FWBs to JaneQ

My poly blogs on this site:
The Journey of JaneQSmythe
The Notebook of JaneQSmythe

Last edited by JaneQSmythe; 12-14-2013 at 02:18 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:43 AM

I generally just say something like, "Yeah, there are a few guys I'm seeing," or simply, "I date." Because that's what I do - date, see a few guys. For marital status on forms, I choose "Separated" if that is one of the options, because that's what I am. I don't often bother with long explanations unless it's someone I'm close to or friendly with and it's appropriate to the conversation.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 12-14-2013, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneQSmythe View Post
Even at THAT I sometimes get incredulous looks from people...apparently married women aren't "supposed" to go to lunch or movies, etc. with male "friends" (although I also do these things with actual male friends who aren't my boyfriend ) AND, in our area at least, professional 30-something married people are not supposed to have "roommates" either (that is something that poor college students or city people do ).
This made me smile. My coworkers have mentioned multiple times that the way certain male friends of mine (we are JUST friends - some with benefits ) behave towards me - bringing me food to work when I forget, fixing things around my house, making me meals, etc. - would be signs that I'm having sex "if I were single." No consideration that it could mean that for me because I'm married. I feel no need to "come out" at work (even though the signs are all there and some have probably figured it out, and a couple of on OKC which worried me at first for some reason, so some of them may know) but I do make comments about how married people have sex, too, whenever they say that kind of stuff.

In our area, a lot of 30-something married people have roommates, though, so if that ever happens I don't anticipate an increase in weird looks or comments.

What do I tell people? Nothing, really. I use people's names, not their relationship to me (in most cases) when I'm telling stories. I only say "friend" if that person is JUST a friend (with or without benefits). Since I'm married, I don't get asked if I'm dating.