Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 12-19-2013, 04:37 AM
Official Greeter

Alright ... so how do we go about initiating this change in society? We'd have to sell the idea I'd think. How would we spread the message? and what message would we try to spread?
Old 12-19-2013, 04:45 AM

Smile

Starting this should not pose much of a problem. The already polyamorous can form an "Intentional family" prelude to an "Intentional community" of all such families..

The first step is that people who are attracted to a polyamorous lifestyle can be sold on the advantages of forming "Intentional Families" as I call it.

Last edited by alexi; 12-19-2013 at 04:47 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:58 AM
Official Greeter

Well, how would we sell that? Some polyamorists are already all for the forming of intentional families, while others are content with the smaller cells that they've already got. What's the pitch that would be effective enough for everybody?
Old 12-19-2013, 07:26 AM
Banned

I don't want to form any sort of poly family. Sounds cultish.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:10 AM

Smile

When an idea is advantageous and suits them things get accepted. There is also nothing "cultist" about this as this is also a form of lifestyle maybe a little more organized that just being poly. Also everything is for mutual and collective benefit.

Last edited by alexi; 12-19-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Banned

Yes, that's what Manson said too
Old 12-19-2013, 07:12 PM
Official Greeter

Re (from alexi):
Quote:
"When an idea is advantageous and suits them things get accepted."
Are we, then, content if some polyamorous people adopt the intentional family/community ideas, even if other polyamorous people choose not to adopt the ideas? and what of monogamous people? Will we want to get some/all of them to get onboard as well, or does just convincing some/all polyamorists suffice? I am curious about what the size and scope of this mission would be -- as well as what timeframe would make sense. How quickly do we expect to be able to accomplish this mission? Could it roughly be done in years; decades; centuries? Is it just a general thing to promote while neither estimating any timeframe nor setting any specific goals?

What would the end product look like? in social terms, in terms of medical technology, in (individual, family, community, and global) economic terms, and as regards physical infrastructure?

How do we make the prospect of intentional families and communities more advantageous and better-suited for a larger number of people?

I presume we wouldn't try to get government to mandate that people file off into intentional family and community structures? Is there other government intervention we'd tap into to help make these ideas a reality?

Indeed, what would government look like in such a society? These are some of the questions that come to my mind right away.

Re (from alexi):
Quote:
"A starting point could be couples and singles can team up together to be a big family."
What about units such as mine (a V) that consist of three connected-by-romance adults? Would they (as well as couples and singles) initially be a part of this mission? What about later on?

Last edited by kdt26417; 12-19-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:58 AM

Smile

It's all an experiment (like the many different lifestyles we are trying out today) that will take atleast a generation or two to establish the new culture. Also it must be allowed to evolve at its own pace.

I see 'Intentional "Families/Communities" as just one of the possible alternative natural progressions. In the first generation since no members are expected to be related to each other the offspring born in the family will all be considered siblings who will have sexual interactions only with siblings of other similar families in the 2nd generation.

As marriages are increasingly viewed with disfavor, this could be an alternative of belonging to a family (with all its advantages as said in an earlier post) and yet leading a freer life as opposed to monogamous marriages (minus its evils - the traumas of separation and divorce). Also there is no need for everyone be part of this culture in any way. It is quite possible that there will be other movements either separate or growing out of this/similar idea which may be superior to what I have suggested.

Whether we like it or not things are moving towards greater freedom and equality; and consequent evolution of society as a whole.

Last edited by alexi; 12-20-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:15 AM
Official Greeter

Re:
Quote:
"Whether we like it or not things are moving towards greater freedom and equality; and consequent evolution of society as a whole."
Well I like it.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:40 PM

I agree that it takes a generation's worth of acceptance to get it into the "new normal" in society. I don't know that this type of arrangement will be the new normal, however (it excludes those of us who really don't want to live in such close proximity to that many people - even if I'm an extrovert, I love my "me space"), but I do also agree that we'll see more variety become the new norm. Hopefully including all sorts of relationship arrangements in the mix.
Xena: Poly. In relationships with Chops and Noa, and dating others.
Noa: Married, Poly. In relationships with Chops and Xena (individually).

My navel-gazing blog thread: A Mono's Journey Into Poly-Land (or, "Aw hell, there's no road map?!")
My slightly more polished blog (external): From Baltic to Boardwalk