Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 12-05-2013, 01:52 AM
Official Greeter

I know right? We're all like, freaks in a freaky world (and hey who doesn't want to get freaky, ).

I know military life will be tough (especially at first), but I am rooting for you and will continue to do so. If you must confine your friendships to within a rank or two, at least make those friendships count, and even if you can't be friends with a four-star general, you can still offer the gift of an honoring and respectful demeanor towards him/her. When one considers the literally deadly serious jobs the military has to do, it's no wonder they're so formal about everything. Sometimes in life you just choose to adhere to an organization's rules, in order to get the benefits that the organization offers.

Anyway, adapt to the utmost of your abilities (and probably avoid calling any lady officers "gal," amirite. ).
Old 12-06-2013, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdt26417 View Post
I know right? We're all like, freaks in a freaky world (and hey who doesn't want to get freaky, ).

I know military life will be tough (especially at first), but I am rooting for you and will continue to do so. If you must confine your friendships to within a rank or two, at least make those friendships count, and even if you can't be friends with a four-star general, you can still offer the gift of an honoring and respectful demeanor towards him/her. When one considers the literally deadly serious jobs the military has to do, it's no wonder they're so formal about everything. Sometimes in life you just choose to adhere to an organization's rules, in order to get the benefits that the organization offers.

Anyway, adapt to the utmost of your abilities (and probably avoid calling any lady officers "gal," amirite. ).
Thanks I like knowing that you are rooting for me, I didn't expect that and I appreciate it!~ ^_^

*Believe in yourself, you can do anything*!~ ^_^

Appreciate every thing, every thing is precious.~

Old 12-06-2013, 08:52 AM

I've been using "gals" for decades... and was pretty surprised to hear that it's rated as outdated/unusual by native speakers (only about a year ago). But I may as well be generally out of touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garriguette View Post
**"Dudette" sounds comic to me, because where I live now, "dude" is less often used as a marker of direct address and more often used as a synonym for "whoa," especially if pronounced with an elongated vowel.
Hehe, I've picked up "dudette" from R. five years ago or somesuch; I could hardly imagine going without that word anymore nowadays. And I've found you can use it in the sense of "whoa" just as well, if you don't mind sounding comical: "dudAAAAtte!"
Old 12-18-2013, 10:48 PM

I'm a gal; just look at my name! lol A lot of words really are regional. Guys and gals is a regular term for me, as is y'all of course. Or even "all y'all"! (Sorry, family joke.). I'm rarely comfortable being called a lady, as that brings a particular image of a proper Southern woman to mind, and I'm too informal for that. Not country or redneck, just casual. In a professional sense, I'll use men and women. Ladies and gentlemen tend to be reserved for black tie affairs unless I'm reminding someone to mind their manners.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGal View Post
I'm a gal; just look at my name! lol A lot of words really are regional. Guys and gals is a regular term for me, as is y'all of course. Or even "all y'all"! (Sorry, family joke.). I'm rarely comfortable being called a lady, as that brings a particular image of a proper Southern woman to mind, and I'm too informal for that. Not country or redneck, just casual. In a professional sense, I'll use men and women. Ladies and gentlemen tend to be reserved for black tie affairs unless I'm reminding someone to mind their manners.
Nice to meet a woman who is proud to call themselves' a "Gal"!~ ^_^

*Believe in yourself, you can do anything*!~ ^_^

Appreciate every thing, every thing is precious.~

Old 12-20-2013, 01:11 AM

Thank you! To be fair, I also call myself a broad (I'm a tough broad, lol), a chick, and a babe. The hubby calls me scary. :-P
Old 12-23-2013, 09:49 PM

Had to share this dialect map - totally pegged me as a New Englander, focused in the Boston area, and it grabbed "Providence" (since I grew up in RI) for my use of the word 'bubbler' for a drinking fountain.
Xena (previously known as M1): My metamour, Poly. Also in an LTR with Chops. Dating Noa and some others.
Noa (previously AG): Dating Chops and Xena (individually).

My navel-gazing blog thread:
A Mono's Journey Into Poly-Land (or, "Aw hell, there's no road map?!")
Old 12-23-2013, 10:16 PM

Huh, that questionnaire didn't ask me for the water fountain word.

But it pegged me as from "New York [city]" "Yonkers" or "Baltimore." I'm from LINY, so pretty close
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

There's no lying in polyamory!

I'm a 58 year old woman with 2 partners:
miss pixi, my live-in gf, 36 (together since Jan '09)
Ginger, bf, 61, married, lives nearby (together since Jan '12)
Old 12-23-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdt26417 View Post

I don't think galroom would work though. (Gal bedroom? Hmmmm -- )
Well, we call our femininely decorated basement family room with our huge projector HDTV our "girl cave." Ironically.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

There's no lying in polyamory!

I'm a 58 year old woman with 2 partners:
miss pixi, my live-in gf, 36 (together since Jan '09)
Ginger, bf, 61, married, lives nearby (together since Jan '12)
Old 12-24-2013, 12:30 AM

Ha! Loved the dialect map. And yes, it had me pegged. Apparently, the little road that runs along a bigger road is only called a service road on the Gulf Coast. I think it cheated! :-P

Tags
gals, girls, guys, phrases, women