Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Spirituality & Polyamory

Notices

Old 02-16-2011, 04:05 PM

I'd heard that about martial arts practice, Karma. One day I might like to study Aikido. That practice has always attracted me.

+++

Excerpted from this morning's email to a dear friend.:
The other morning, while "sitting" (as we call it), everything went utterly silent--and remained dark--and something in me which was me (?) was suddenly falling rapidly through space, toward Earth's center of gravity. Actually, it's difficult to discern what was falling through what. Was some part of me falling through me? I dunno. The curious thing was how there was nothing. Nothing at all -- no thought. Nothing -- except the sense of breathing. Maybe some faint sense of gravity. I was awake in black space, though on the verge of sleep, perhaps. Kevin asked when I told him of this if it felt as though I might die. I agreed. He knows this one. He said "If you return to the breath (awareness of), It'll work out. I did thrust my eyes open when I "fell," instinctively. I didn't know where I was! It wasn't the first time this happened, only the most intense. It's now happening most recent "sits". I think I'll just see what happens. It scares me, but Fuck, so what? I'm sure as hell not going to stop this ride. Meditation owns me now. Or ...? Who's meditating, anyway?
Old 02-16-2011, 04:20 PM

Why write about or discuss meditation in a forum on polyamory? Well, it seems to me that
polyamory is simply an approach ("a style") of loving relationship. And it seems also equally clear that relationships with others are grounded in our relationship with ourselves. And meditation both excellerates and assists changes in one's life: Specific changes. Changes in the direction of greater and greater awareness and freedom. Freedom from compulsion, habit....

That's why. Meditation empowers us to choose, and to choose love.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:46 PM

Here's what my friend said in reply to what I said about falling through empty space while sitting.:
"I recognise the meditation experiences you're talking about - there's even a name for it in Sanskrit. It's supposed to just be a loosening of the normally rigid connexion between senses and perception - which can in itself be scary enough! Just shrug your mind's shoulders and sit on."
Gosh. I never made much distinction between senses and perception, so I'm not sure what this means, quite. Yet, I can see that perception is something that includes sensory inputs but is also something sort of distinct -- largely because of the relation of intentionality (as the phenomenologists call it). Which is to say that perception involves directed awareness, not just the senses, per se, naked and raw.

Anyhoo, there's a whole lotta shaking going on, as the song goes. Had a lovely mindfulness while eating breakfast experience with my Sweetie, this morning. It arose as naturally as breathing. But I did note that if I really give myself to each bite of food, well, it doubles or tripples in tastyness!

Bowing.

Last edited by River; 02-16-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:11 PM

Default All things being equal...

The most sage words I have ever been fortunate enough to have directed towards me came from a very generous friend and teacher.

An incredibly skilled craftsman and sculptor in his own right, he was referring to the understanding of the intrinsic nature of materials.

I have applied this one sentence, at one time or another, to every aspect of my life:

"If you go far enough into one material, you arrive at all other materials."

Go far enough into ourselves, and we arrive at everyone else, and vice versa. By way of experiencing love in a limitless way, polyamory if you like, and delving deep into the hearts of CF and RC, I have arrived at the hearts of everyone around me. I am fast arriving at the heart of the World.

I have only ever practiced walking meditation with discipline, a residual benefit from my years as a distance runner. Perhaps I was actually being trained to take all things in stride...

Last edited by Charlie; 02-18-2011 at 01:35 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I have only ever practiced walking meditation with discipline, a residual benefit from my years as a distance runner. Perhaps I was actually being trained to take all things in stride...
This I need to look (or walk) into more!
Old 02-18-2011, 02:00 AM

Default Walking Meditation

This is another one of those "form follows function" aspects of my life.

After putting up my running shoes and putting on work boots, I found myself in college without a vehicle and relatively no money. So I walked. Everywhere.

Having already been exposed to the "runner's high" and the mental ease to which long stretches of sustained running put my brain, simply walking was, well, a walk in the park. I would look forward to the two miles between my apartment and the shop as a way to clear my mind before getting down to a long night creative problem solving.

The walk home was even more beneficial, as it relieved the tension of lifting, pushing, moving, straining, thinking....

I should add that I am a fast walker, and I tend to move in a "tangent to tangent" path, always seeking the most efficient way to move from point A to point B.

Somewhere along the way, I adopted this way of moving in the shop as well, using the short distances between machinery to breathe and center myself for the next task. To the observer, I appear determined and intense, which I am, but my mind is unattached and calm.

The nice thing about walking meditation is that it only requires that you walk...the breathing happens naturally, following the rhythm of your pace, and soon after comes the centering.

Walking railroad tracks, however hobo-like it may seem, is a fantastic trick for learning to let go of controlling the pace of one's stride.

Provided, of course, that you aren't hit by a train, in which case, your awareness of the oneness of all things becomes immediate, interrupting one's peaceful journey to enlightenment.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:34 AM

Who said the journey to enlightenment was peaceful? (a white-water canoe extravaganza from where I'm sitting... lovely scenery, though!)
Old 02-19-2011, 01:12 AM

Not to nit pick, but I wanted to say that I doubt it is either helpful or true to speak in terms of a journey to enlightenment. Instead, I prefer the notion of a journey of enlightenment. (And, yes, it's more of a white water trip than a walk in the park, much of the time.) Both are tiny words, but each packs a lot of punch in two letters! But the word "to" seems to imply that there is a getting there. "Are we there yet?" And for there to be a getting there there has to be a Not There Yet. An image arises of a wall, a fence, a door, ... a border crossing, with the line being sharp and distinct. But I think what happens is that the light is on a dimmer switch, not an on/off switch. And there's no final finish line.

That will be twenty dollars at the door please.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:15 AM

Twenty dollars well spent.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:22 AM

Good luck finding the door!