Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 11-30-2013, 02:27 PM

S Cat:

What you wrote about "retarded time" is FACINATING. What branch of science is that? So, the term predates the medical terminology "retarded?" I did not know that!

Yes, retarded and spastic are medical terms (outdated) which then turned into insults - spastic is still a kIND of cerebral palsy (which is what I have/tho don't know if it's "spastic.") Then, those words (obviously) became insults because no one wanted to be "like" those people. i.e. have involuntary movement or be "dumb." I don't have an issue with the words themselves as much as the kind of thought they perpetuate in society.

I think Europe is different. But Americans still have the concept that disability makes a person less of a human. Philosophers like Peter Singer have even argued that people with severe disabilities would be better off dead or not born at all. They argue for some kind of litmus test of standard of life, when it actually has never been proved the people with disabilities are "unhappier."

As I was growing uo, I went to mainstream schools. People told me that they never "thought" of me as disabled. In my 30s I had a life change where I realized that CP was part of me. I was fine the way I am. Then, I began making colleagues and friends with disabilities. Now, I work with people with MS, CP, mental disabilities, an amputee, a poet who is death and blind, and many others. I even had to get over some of my own prejudices of disability - which helped by watching my very sexy friend die in the hospital. I am on a quest to know that every one is a valid human and has something to contribute and sometimes I have to look past "the body" and see a person for who they really are.

Obviously, LOL, girlfriends who host sex parties are a little more difficult for me. But I think I will try to use the same technique in that situation
Old 11-30-2013, 03:03 PM
Banned

My sister has relapsing, remitting MS. Yeah, lots of it sucks but she doesn't go around bleating about life as a disabled person. She also has rheumatoid arthritis and Sjorens disease. She's too busy to go campaigning about disability rights. She's living a normal life with her partner and kid.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:27 PM

London: What would bleating entail for you?

Its important for me to be heard, if I can! That I am not complaining about being disabled. I am GLAD I have CP. I believe it has brought me a lot of insight to the human condition and beauty and norms and deepened my empathy and thinking in a way that MAY not have been possible had I been abled.

My "chip on my shoulder" hasn't come from just complaining about the way people treat me but having to actually fight for a lot of rights - particularly in the teaching job market, and I guess it's my calling to fight for the rights of other disabled people too. Or just tell my story. If you look around people are very resistant to hearing a story about disability.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:33 PM
Banned

My sister has just gone back into teaching. Bleating would entail complaining that you have no life whilst not actually attempting to live one. And I've found your blog very interesting. People like hearing the plight of disabled people, just for the wrong reasons.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofish View Post
What you wrote about "retarded time" is FACINATING. What branch of science is that? So, the term predates the medical terminology "retarded?" I did not know that!
Electromagnetism is a branch of Physics that describes, among other things, how radiation and electricity work. It's the science that underlies everything from radios to smartphones -- pretty much the foundation of all modern technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/782769
The term 'mental retardation' was introduced by the American Association on Mental Retardation in 1961 and soon afterwards was adopted by the American Psychiatric Association (APA) in its Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders (DSM-5).
A complete description of the fundamental electromagnetic laws was published exactly 100 years earlier by James Maxwell. The notion of retarded time follows directly from those laws ("Maxwell's equations"). It's unclear when exactly retarded time was discovered as a requirement, but it was established by the time Einstein came on the scene in the early 1900's.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 12-03-2013, 02:16 AM
Banned

Default not even close or not subtle enough

Regarding "retarded time" [sic] and it's fictional physics application

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrodingersCat View Post
The cringe is just from the association in my head, but I acknowledged that my thinking is responsible for this reaction, not the word itself. As was mentioned before, the word just means delayed.

Actually, the scientific term predates the colloquial, derogatory usage of "retarded" by several decades. When E&M was being developed, words like idiot, imbecile, and feeble minded were en vogue. Mentally retarded was later introduced as the p.c. term. I'm not sure when people started using it out of context ("that's retarded!" or "you retard!" (p.s. good news, "retard" isn't in my Swype dictionary...)).
The term "retarded" and "advanced" comes concepts cycles, and the many cycles within each cycle. The terms are used to explain concepts of "timing", as in any single event that depends on many specifically ordered sequence of events. Furthermore, that each sequence or events needs to occur with precision to be correct, and any deviation from the precision does affect the single larger event.

when the deviation is such that the event occurs "after" the precise timing, the term is "retarded" as in the event happened late, or behind schedule.

when the deviation is such that the event occurs "before" the precise timing, the term is "advanced" as in the event happened early, or ahead schedule.

In the true meaning and concepts of the word, both advanced and retarded equally describe "not precise" of out of whack timing. One is not good and the other is bad, they are just different directions to be out of time.

Quote:
Electromagnetism is a branch of Physics that describes, among other things, how radiation and electricity work. It's the science that underlies everything from radios to smartphones -- pretty much the foundation of all modern technology.

A complete description of the fundamental electromagnetic laws was published exactly 100 years earlier by James Maxwell. The notion of retarded time follows directly from those laws ("Maxwell's equations"). It's unclear when exactly retarded time was discovered as a requirement, but it was established by the time Einstein came on the scene in the early 1900's.

The terms have absolutely nothing to do with electromagnetism and have nothing to do with the the complete and utter bullshit concept of "retarded time"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC
Language like "shouldn't" implies responsibility. It does not empower, it restricts. "You shouldn't drink around creepy guys" is intrinsically different from "some creepy guys rape women who drink around them." Telling women what they should and should not do to prevent getting raped is more likely to cause rape victims to wonder if they could have done more to prevent their rape. Adding guilt and responsibility to the trauma of rape is not empowering.

Getting drunk does not cause men to rape women. However, society's failure to educate men that drunk women are not able to give consent because they are not of sound mind can cause men to believe that "taking advantage of an opportunity" is not the same thing as rape. A lot of men have been taught that "not saying no means yes." I would prefer that they were taught "not saying yes means no." That's what I mean when I say educating men can help prevent rape. I haven't read this author so I'm not commenting on what he means by education.

Respect is about behaviour. Behaviour can be changed. Of course people can be taught to respect people. We're not statues, with our thoughts and beliefs set in stone. That's what education is all about.
nobody is saying it's right for women to live in fear of men and I think it's despicable that women should ever feel they have to do anything other than be themselves and not worry about the fact that men are uncaring, unfeeling assholes who have trouble with concepts like respect.

and it's fine for you believe that education is going to change that fact, yeah for you and I as a male I appreciate you optimism and hope for the disgusting gender, but taking precaution in order to reduce the number of women that men get away with raping is NOT victim blaming. So long as we share our planet with males, we will never be able to completely stop all instances of violations of personal space known as rape, but I will be damned before I let someone tell me that I am victim blaming for encouraging women to be safe in world that is rampant with asshole males as well as some females who adopt their fucked up way of thinking.

Just today I had my password to facebook hacked, yet again, for clicking a link on an article at mommyish dot com. I blame myself as I believe you should be able to clink links to referenced works on the internet, I did nothing wrong, it was the journoterrorists admins on the site that wrote the code. But I will take precaution because no matter who much educating a person can do, no matter how logical it may seem to some that it is violating electronic boundaries that are very clearly defined -- AND EVEN THOUGH IT IS NOT MY BAD FOR CLICKING A LINK IN AN EFFORT TO SEE THE LOGIC IN SOME OF THE FUCKED UP LOGIC PUBLISHED THERE -- I would be much smarter if I refrained for clicking links in the articles of unethical authors and their poorly cloaked misogynistic, articles

do you want to know the authors pseudonyms?
Old 12-03-2013, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtclustit View Post
The terms have absolutely nothing to do with electromagnetism and have nothing to do with the the complete and utter bullshit concept of "retarded time"
Did you even go so far as to Google it?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=retarded+time

Like any honest scientist, I'm always happy to be corrected when I am indeed mistaken. But I postulate that only one of us is currently, or has ever been, registered in a graduate course on electromagnetism.

Just in case you need a reputable source... Wolfram's ScienceWorld article on Retarded Time

Please, if you're going to call something "utter bullshit" it helps to have a hot clue in hell what you're talking about.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 12-03-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:

Please, if you're going to call something "utter bullshit" it helps to have a hot clue in hell what you're talking about.
Chance would be a fine thing.