Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 11-13-2013, 11:31 PM

My husband loves it when I get "high" and "drunk" on NRE . He has no problem with me flirting with my boyfriend, or even having sex with my boyfriend, before flirting or having sex with him. He just said that when my bf comes here, he prefers that I take a good shower inbetween, which I totally agree with, that is just hygine. If I am smitten or horny he is happy for me as well as happy for himself; he feels a lot of compersion. I also too feel that the NRE "rubs off" on my husband, so that my LRE with his gets recharged. His only real concern is time, that I should spend my time as to get quality time with him as well, which is also important to me
Old 11-15-2013, 10:41 PM

I can see how NRE is creepy from both sides; for the secondary you would feel used, for the primary you would feel fake.

I'm a primary and my wife is flush with excitement around D, even though D has turned her down, and I have started playing Go with D.

That might in fact turn out to be a bad idea if it breaks my wife's heart because D and I would be best friends and she just has to suffer through being close, but no more, and watching all of that NRE evaporate as time passes. Rather, there isn't even real NRE at this point, just the promise of, the excitement, and the possibility of it just because they get to hang out when D and I are together.

She is seeing someone new, R2, that has been courting her through OKC. I'm not sure how that will turn out since her first date with him was yesterday and she hasn't talked about it yet.

In any case, I'm trying to defend the NRE, because I can tell you that just watching her with D brought back a rush of memories; how she would look at me and talk breathlessly when we were first dating, and reminded me how much I loved and still love her.

She has since turned her loving gaze on me in the same way, and I was filled with joy.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:17 PM

What not to do in response to NRE: he told me this morning that he did end up fucking the newest girl last night. He was extra affectionate, it felt intrusive to me in the moment. He told me he loved me and I patted his chest and said "that's nice" and walked off. I know that's not the right response but I had no idea what else to say in the moment (lame excuse I don't even believe myself). Why am I posting it here instead of in the blog section? Maybe I feel like I deserve to be publicly flogged for that terrible rejection. I used to hate how his now ex-wife used to do things like that, and I just did it
Old 11-16-2013, 05:57 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisPet View Post
What not to do in response to NRE: he told me this morning that he did end up fucking the newest girl last night. He was extra affectionate, it felt intrusive to me in the moment. He told me he loved me and I patted his chest and said "that's nice" and walked off. I know that's not the right response but I had no idea what else to say in the moment (lame excuse I don't even believe myself). Why am I posting it here instead of in the blog section? Maybe I feel like I deserve to be publicly flogged for that terrible rejection. I used to hate how his now ex-wife used to do things like that, and I just did it
Why just tell him; Sorry for being so flat this morning. I am happy for you, but your NRE really felt a bit intrusive. How can we make us coupe with NRE better?

NRE is wonderful, but not always easy you know. Don't beat yourself up about it. Saying sorry and trying to understand more of the dynamics works just fine.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:07 AM
Official Greeter

Re (from HisPet):
Quote:
"I understand that when one partner gets involved in a new relationship, or meets someone exciting to them, that partner gets energized. Okay, makes sense. And yay it's super fun for them."
= NRE = New Relationship Energy
Re:
Quote:
"I've read that that it can bring new sexual energy to the existing relationship and the existing partner enjoys that new energy."
= RRE = Renewed Relationship Energy
In other words, it's enough of a "thing" to have its own abbreviation.

Think of it as a partner discovering a great new drink (such as the new holiday version of Jägermeister -- yum!), and bringing a bottle home to share. "Honey you've got to try this ..."

At least that's how it's supposed to be!

But I admit I've never been on the receiving end of RRE, so perhaps I shouldn't talk.

Re (from london):
Quote:
"I'm genuinely more into everyone because they've allowed me the freedom to have them all in my life."
Well put.

Re (from HisPet):
Quote:
"... general excitement about the fullness of life ..."
Also well put.

Tags
mono / poly, nre overflow