Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 11-10-2013, 10:23 PM

Default Messed up situation

Hey everyone,

A view months ago I introduced myself on this forum. Since then a lot has happened and I would really appreciate your advice because I am hurting, a lot.

I have been in a relationship with J. for more than four years. We are both 25, and I always saw him as the one I would get married to, have children with, etcetera. We were in an open relationship for about two years, which worked for for us since we are both quite experimental. About half a year ago I met S. She is also a woman, and we started as a sexual thing, but after a while we fell in love. I told my boyfriend about my feelings and he decided that he could live with my 'extra' relationship. I put in a lot of effort, and although it wasn't always easy, I managed to create a situation that worked for the both of us. She, however, didn't tell her boyfriend at first, but did after I told her I wouldn't be seeing her anymore if she kept up the cheating. He wasn't to happy about it, but he stayed with her. I wasn't to happy with that situation, because I like her boyfriend, and I wanted him to be happy, but I figured that he is an autonomous person, and that he could walk away if he wanted to. I felt guilty though, since I hate cheating and lying, and never expected nor wanted to be a part of it.

This whole thing was good(for me at least) for a view months. I was very happy with my girlfriend and my boyfriend, and I felt so lucky that my boyfriend loved me enough to let me see her, love her. Her boyfriend started to be ok with it when he found out that I didn't form a threat for their relationship and my boyfriend also said he was fine. For me it al felt very honest and beautiful... And then I found out that my boyfriend and my girlfriend were having sex on a regular basis. Without telling me or her boyfriend, or anybody else for that matter. They don't really have another explanation besides the fact that it 'just happened' and that the 'could't help it'. They knew it was wrong but they didn't tell me because they thought I would end it with them. All those times my boyfriend was in her town 'for work', he was actually sleeping with her. I kind of felt that they were attracted to each other and I tried to address the situation so we could talk about it, but my boyfriend told me that I saw things that weren't there. Oh yes they were there. They aren't in love they say, It's just a sex thing. But they lied, and they cheated and I'm so confused. My girlfriend seems to have a pattern of screwing up things that are important to her, she didn't tell her boyfriend though, not about this time, nor all the other times she apparently did this. They are still together, ignorance seems to be bliss.

I tried to cope with this situation, but my trust in both of them was so violated that I ended up leaving them both. So I'm alone now, but the whole situation left me with a lot of doubts about my own role in this. Did I invite this whole situation when I decided to try to have a relationship that moved outside of the ordinary patterns? Did I create this situation when I asked my boyfriend permission to have a relationship outside of our partnership. Did I screw this up myself by blurring the lines? I honestly tried to do the right thing here, and I feel so damaged and hurt now. I am not a victim, I know that, and I will love again and blablabla, but still.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:26 PM

By the way, in my earlier post I referred to my boyfriend as B. which was basically short for boyfriend, but his name is J.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:30 PM

Answer to all of your questions is, probably not. Based on what you've said. .... still you dated a woman who cheated on her boyfriend with you. Sorry, but cheaters generally keep cheating. If it's any consolation, it's unlikely she'll be faithful with your ex boyfriend.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:34 PM

Hey polyinpractice,

Thanks for your reaction. I suppose you're right, although I did not ever participated in actual cheating. She was aloud to have extra sexual partners, falling in love was just another thing and I wanted the boyfriend to be okay with this before proceeding to another level. I wasn't aware of this pattern until recently. I just feel so stupid.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:35 PM

Both exes are not in a relationship right now, they stopped seeing each other after I found out.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:42 PM

Cheaters have to decide they actually want to address the issues that created their mistaken belief that lying is ok if they are going to change.

It does happen. I am one.
But-it's rare because it's a LOT of work. Most people aren't interested in doing that much work.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:59 PM

I am sorry. That just sucks ass.

In answer to your question, no you did not cause this. You did the right thing - you were honest with your bf, and insisted your gf be honest with hers. It is beyond me why they couldn't have just brought their attraction to your attention in order to incorporate it into the overall relationship.

And once I wrote "it is beyond me," two possibilities sprang to mind. 1. Given your insistence with honesty, your gf probably felt that you would demand that she tell her bf, and she was too immature for that. 2. Some people get a cheap thrill out of cheating.

In any case, I am sorry this happened, but I don't see anything that you could have done differently.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:16 AM

Hey LovingRadiance,

I salute you for taking the time an effort to change your believes about lying. I'm sure it must have been very difficult, and I think you should be very proud of yourself for making it through. Any chance you want to share a little about what you went through? The thing is that I don't write my girlfriend of for being a cheater. I know she is a genuinely caring and loving person and besides the cheating she has been nothing but wonderful an sweet to me. She just seems to have this recurring problem with 'ending up in situations she knows she shouldn't be in'. Is she downright weak? I don't think so, I watched her in other areas of her life and she seems persistent, brave and hard working. How come she ended up screwing the one person that meant the world to me? She's beautiful an attractive, she could have had millions of other guys, why him? Was it about me? About him? About being in a 'to good to be true' situation an subconsciously not being able to handle that? I is just so surreal, I can barely grasp it that someone would do that to herself. She just hates herself for it, her self loathing is so overwhelming that I wouldn't be able to be with het, even if I wanted to. Anyone has any idea about self distractive patterns like this, is there any way she could change this behavior?
Old 11-11-2013, 12:25 AM

Yuck! No you did not invite this. You are very smart to cut ties with them. They could have confessed they had feelings for each other and proceeded from there but they chose to be sneaky. I'm sure a huge element for them was the fact that they were sneaking.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Did I invite this whole situation when I decided to try to have a relationship that moved outside of the ordinary patterns?
Just that? No.

But it could stem somewhat from the character of WHO you start a relationship with. Having a GF who is willing to cheat wasn't a great partner choice. Weak in character. If she's got "cheater habits" she's got cheater habits. Sigh.

Her poor BF -- I hope he moves on too if she's chronically cheating. I am glad for your sake that you have removed yourself from her poor behavior so she cannot ding you again like that.

Quote:
Did I create this situation when I asked my boyfriend permission to have a relationship outside of our partnership?
No. You ASKED FIRST.

He did not ask first to change agreements between you (from the sound of it). He cheated and lied.

Quote:
Did I screw this up myself by blurring the lines?
No. The only ethical thing you could have done better is not take up with the GF til she was honest with her BF and she asked for his goodwill first too.

That is (you + GF) launching something. That was already resolved and forgiven.

This is a new separate issue from (your GF + your BF).

Could not connect two separate things.

Quote:
I honestly tried to do the right thing here, and I feel so damaged and hurt now. I am not a victim, I know that, and I will love again and blablabla, but still.
Of course. It sucks all around. I am sorry you have been cheated on by the very people who are supposed to love you. They could have come to you first if they wanted to share sex together and not gone behind your back.

I hope the healing time comes soon for you.

Quote:
I know she is a genuinely caring and loving person and besides the cheating she has been nothing but wonderful an sweet to me.
How is cheating loving and caring behavior? It isn't. I see that you want to believe she is genuinely caring and loving toward you, but struggle to reconcile the fact that actually... she isn't. This isn't the first time cheating in her history so it can't be written off as a mistake in judgement. It is habit. You arriving at full acceptance for this will take time.

Sigh. I am so sorry.

Quote:
She just seems to have this recurring problem with 'ending up in situations she knows she shouldn't be in'. Is she downright weak?
See? HABIT.

Yes, she is downright weak. She has bad manners, poor impulse control and is weak in character. Your BF also is weak in character. He helped to cheat.

If you know you shouldn't be in a situation, you could say NO and take steps to not go there. Especially if getting your jollies there will hurt people you love.

Quote:
She just hates herself for it, her self loathing is so overwhelming that I wouldn't be able to be with her, even if I wanted to. Anyone has any idea about self distractive patterns like this, is there any way she could change this behavior?
IMHO? "Cookie jar sorry" drama. Not at all sorry to be stealing the cookies. Just sorry she got caught and wanting to slide on being held accountable to her behavior.

If she now behaves in a way that "keeps you away" and is overdramatic about how "horrible" she is? Bottom line? She does not have to own it, change it, grow up or do anything responsible.

Don't get sucked into her "Poor lil ol' me" song and dance and go rushing in to forgive her and absolve her so she doesn't have to feel yucky. She can reap what she sows.

You could worry about YOU and your short and long term health and well being instead. Let her worry about her. You did the right thing in removing yourself from crazy and respecting your OWN limit for not staying in a bad situation. Kudos to you!

Hang in there!
Galagirl

Last edited by GalaGirl; 11-11-2013 at 02:16 AM.