Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Life stories and blogs

Notices

Old 06-29-2010, 04:48 PM

Default River's Blog

A random tid-bit to start.

Quote:
You want an inconvenient truth? Try this one: human beings are clearly evolved for sex lives featuring multiple simultaneous sexual relationships.

Men, especially, are designed by evolution to be attracted to sexual novelty and to gradually lose sexual attraction to the same partner in the absence of such novelty. The so-called Coolidge Effect is well demonstrated in social mammals of all sorts, and is old news to anyone knowledgeable about reproductive biology.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...ls-male-libido

Holy shit! This means I'm normal!
Old 06-29-2010, 05:09 PM

I knew this was all about collecting more sex partners

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 06-29-2010, 05:10 PM

I think I got excited by this article

My problem with blanket statements like this, are akin to why I dislike such specific references to alpha/beta male patterns. Simply put, we have cognitive and reasoning ability that can over shadow pure instinct.

While we follow similar patterns to animals I don't like to think of these things as an inability to choose.

I am an alpha male, I don't run around beating up other alpha males and taking on my own pride of females. As appealing as that sounds
Old 06-29-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariakas View Post
Simply put, we have cognitive and reasoning ability that can over shadow pure instinct.

While we follow similar patterns to animals I don't like to think of these things as an inability to choose.
I agree that it's not correct to lump all animals, including the human animal, together in one big fuzzy lump. We do and can choose. But much of what we feel, our impulses, are rooted in biology -- and deeper than thought, belief, and choosing. How we behave in relation to those impulses and feelings is variable.

Anyway, I think that article sorta lets a lot of us off the hook, so to speak. We are as we are not because we're BAAAAD, but 'cause we're ... well, human.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote from the website mentioned by the OP (original poster): A recent article in Psychology Today profiles a therapist/author who suggests that married men with low libido can overcome this difficult situation if they just do it. According to this article, “their low sex drive often has little to do with hormones or biology and a lot to do with the women in their lives. Men today, often enough, are angry at their wives.” Readers are told that, “In the presence of a mismatch of desire, all intimacy drops out on all levels in addition to the sexual. Couples stop having meaningful conversations.”

Even though the author of the article dismisses this opinion... it certainly explains my last relationship. Though he's happy with his new married gf, which is how I ended up here.

And I think since people are living longer, we're all looking at what works, and how to get more love and communication.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:28 PM

I'm posting a copy of the below over here because it has bloggy feel about it. The original is in the topic about extroversion & introversion.

I suspect most folks (I'm guessing!) are plenty okay about where they are on the introversion-to-extroversion spectrum, but lately I'm feeling rather boxed in as a result of my having been a lifelong introvert.

Well, I'm on my way toward ambiversion, I suspect -- and I have no doubt that a lot of folks will see me as quite extroverted, until they get to know me well. That's as a result of my being much more assertive than passive. I'm probably much more assertive than the average person. But I'm also, in some respects, probably more shy, too.

Actually, I can surprise people with my occasions of extroversion, my willingness to talk with strangers, my ability to create quick rapport with people, etc. So even I am having a little bit of a challenge understanding my shyness, which is also there.

Maybe it all roots in my childhood -- when I was the proverbial Boy Never Chosen for obligatory schoolyard ball play. That sort of thing. I was a mess, then. Trodden down at home and on the school yard. A bedwetter, a scrawny scardycat boy who made up stories about pirate treasure to try to win friends. I used to have a beadspread with football helmets on it even though I neither understood nor cared for football. I'd do anything to win the acceptance and appreciation -- the love -- that was so foreign and strange to my longing heart.

Ooops! See, there I have gone and done it again. I seem to extravert my introversion. I'm a pro!
Old 12-15-2010, 11:39 PM

When a bee is precisely and only a bee,
buzzing.

When the poem falls silent
beneath
metaphor.

When the ribs are!
When there are humming throats,
kisses! new kisses!

The skin which shivers
The eyes which tear up
The impossible fucking poem!

Who is not in search of this,
This
This
This

Who does not swim in it?
Old 01-18-2011, 09:52 PM

Not Haiku

Mom was abusive and Dad was a hyper-critical perfectionist.

No wonder it took this long for me to consider getting naked!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:52 PM

Default Bonobos

I couldn't figure out where to post this, maybe you know a better place...

There is something they know that we are just now figuring out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eubDSQrFako
Old 02-10-2011, 04:36 PM

Thanks, Charlie. (I'll view that when I have my headphones with me at the cafe, since I don't have internet at home at this time.)

=========

I want to introduce one of my teachers. A true wise-woman. Though I've never met her, her words are magical, and true (mostly).

http://www.tarabrach.com/

Tags
journal, life experiences