Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 11-15-2013, 12:32 AM

Meika is so funny when I go away for a couple days. Normally, she's a typical "oh, you're here? that's nice" cat... but when I get back from trips (which Gralson always swears will make her mad at me), she's so grateful that I'm home that she follows me everywhere. Literally runs to the bedroom when I go to bed the first night back, and curls up pretty much on my pillow. The doctor also suggested I keep them out of my room at night. Yeah. Right.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 11-15-2013, 12:37 AM

kdt-yes Forney is the dog. And yes, he believes I am grandma and he is mom. He is fully unaware that he is even "dad". he believes he's mom. lol.
He parents all of the kids-regardless of where they came from or why they are here.
He gets SO heartbroken in summer when other random children run up and down the street and don't stop at our yard so he can do his parenting duties!

LMAO!

If it weren't for him I'm sure our youngest and the two grandsons would die as babies! Because he has the patience to lick tears and love on them and let them crawl all over them-that we old PEOPLE lack! HAHAHA!

He's awesome.

You may be on to something regarding his choosing to be more loving to babies in light of his crappy beginnings.
I certainly don't mind his choices!

He rocks.

When I am alone in my room, he will lay his head on the edge of the bed (he doesn't get on the bed, I think it hurts his hips to even try because of how high it is) and watch me til I close my eyes. Then he sniffs my hands and goes to lay on the towel on the floor in front of my dresser until he believes I am REALLY asleep. At some point, he wanders upstairs and I find him in the mornings curled up on the couch.

When Sweet Pea was little, they would fall asleep together in the evenings watching movies. Sweet Pea never needed blankets, because Forney would curl up around him to keep him warm.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:27 AM
Official Greeter

Re: Meika ... cats are so famous for their penchant for playing "hard to get." But wow: follows you everywhere, runs to the bedroom to join you in bed, curls up on your pillow? Well darn it, that means her "hard to get" veneer fell apart!

And as for that "dumb doctor" ... they haven't proven it's a cat allergy anyway yet, have they? In any case, we've seen it proven that humans *do* the snuggly-snuggly with their "non-human prisoners" -- allergies be damned!

Re:
Quote:
"kdt -- yes Forney is the dog. And yes, he believes I am Grandma and he is Mom."
He is: Mr. Mom! Fussing over the kids and the ... whole family ... as only a mom could do.

Re:
Quote:
"He gets *so* heartbroken in summer when other random children run up and down the street and don't stop at our yard so he can do his parenting duties!"
Ahem ... he's, heh, really into this mom thing ... He's not just his own family's mom; he's *everybody's* mom.

Hey, who's Sweet Pea? I lost track. One of the kids or grandkids it sounds like?

Whatever the case may be, leave it to a dog to be a tireless professional and a loving friend at the same time. Say all you wish about humans not being authentic friends to their pets; pets *never* fail to be authentic friends to their humans! As stated in one or two posts on these cross-pollinated threads, they've an amazing will to make the best of every situation, no matter how "wrong" their lot in evolutionary terms.

Damn, I'm really lovin' these animal stories. This thread has taken an interesting turn. (Almost like "domestic slaves hour" on the Discovery Channel -- in mini-blog format.)
Old 11-15-2013, 02:21 AM

Kids: spicy pea 22 yrs
Salty pea 17
Split pea 16
Sweet pea 13
Sour pea 6

Grandkids:
Little P 2 yrs
Coconut 5 months

Forney is the dog
scrappy was the cat but had to be put down last month at 18 yrs old because his thyroid went haywire and he could no longer digest food.
He was an awesome buddy too
Old 11-15-2013, 02:35 AM
Official Greeter

Ohhh ... sorry to hear about Scrappy.

Re: the kids ... oh that's why I lost track! How many peas can a guy like me keep straight?

Quite a family there ... Love 'em all ... Love and respect 'em too ... (Rhetorical advice, I know! You and they have both got that down.)

I do like my scorecards, so thanks for that one. Nicely laid out.

Kevin.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:57 PM

I must say that I love the turn this thread has taken. It fills my mornings with "aaawwwww"...

Forney sounds like a sweetheart, LR. The "licking the tears off the baby's face" bit had me laughing. And I'm sorry about Scrappy, but I'm glad he had a great life with you all too.

And moose? Hell, I need to get myself up to AK sometime. We have moose here in NH, but not too many down in the southern, Massachampshire part.

Okay, folks...
MOAR PICS!
Xena: Poly. In relationships with Chops and Noa, and dating others.
Noa: Married, Poly. In relationships with Chops and Xena (individually).

Blog thread: A Mono's Journey Into Poly-Land (or, "Aw hell, there's no road map?!")
Slightly more polished blog with a mono/poly focus: From Baltic to Boardwalk
Old 11-15-2013, 02:49 PM

Default Still can't figure out this picture thing...

but I will. Once I have time to actually go try everyone's helpful suggestions.

But I thought I would ask a cat related question. Tiny Cat is not letting me sleep as much as I need to sleep. I am so tired and frustrated I've mulled over if I need to find her another home.

She plays at night which would be fine if she played at night downstairs, away from where I sleep. She plays - loudly - in the bedroom from about when I go to bed to about 1 am or so. I can't lock her out of the bedroom because she scratches the door continuously until she is let back in. (Tried putting tinfoil on the door to discourage her from scratching - did not work plus adds extra 'crinkle' to scratching sounds. Also that room gets really cold cut off from the rest of the house.

Then she wants me back up at 4:30 am to feed her. Which is not happening and I ignore her. So she goes back to running around and doing stuff loudly in the bedroom. There is also meowing and other vocalizations.

I'm ok with getting up and feeding her at 6 am. I'd prefer 7 am which is when I get up normally but can work with that. I can either start work or go back to bed. But 4:30 cannot happen. I can't sleep during the day to make up for it.

I've tried playing with her before going to bed so she gets time with me. I've left dry food out for her as a last night snack - that helped initially but seems to have lessened in effectiveness. I'm working on getting a warm place for her to sleep in the bedroom. Unfortunately it's the coldest room in the house and Tiny Dog has dibs on sleeping under the covers with me.

I am so frustrated. Ideas?
Old 11-15-2013, 08:51 PM

There are many difficulties when it comes to living independently as any Human who has just moved out of their parents house can tell you and there are many difficulties when it comes to living dependently on some one else as any Human who has yet to move out of their parents house can tell you.~

I just think that when it comes to non-Humans, when ever and as much as we can we need to recognize, understand, and respect their decisions whether they decide they want to go outside without you or to stay inside lazing by the fire.~

In any case, we need to do our best no matter what to teach them and to help prepare them for the life and world they have been born into.~

For example: teaching them to avoid cars at all times as this is the number one killer of all "Pets", and so on.~

Love,

ColorsWolf

*Believe in yourself, you can do anything*!~ ^_^

Appreciate every thing, every thing is precious.~

Old 11-15-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
There are many difficulties when it comes to living independently as any Human who has just moved out of their parents house can tell you and there are many difficulties when it comes to living dependently on some one else as any Human who has yet to move out of their parents house can tell you.~

I just think that when it comes to non-Humans, when ever and as much as we can we need to recognize, understand, and respect their decisions whether they decide they want to go outside without you or to stay inside lazing by the fire.~

In any case, we need to do our best no matter what to teach them and to help prepare them for the life and world they have been born into.~

For example: teaching them to avoid cars at all times as this is the number one killer of all "Pets", and so on.~

Love,

ColorsWolf
Again please do animal kind a favor and do not bring preys into your life as you are utterly clueless. I work in veterinary medicine and have 30 plus years experience working with animals.

Sincerely Dagferi.. Who has a BS in zoology and a minor in Biochem.
In a V relationship with an average 60/40 split of time. Only due to Murf's and Butch's crappy work schedules.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:08 AM

Opalescent, no idea, I'm afraid. My cats "get the rips" at about 7-8pm. Does your vet have any recommendations? Hopefully, you find something that works for you.

CW, how does one teach a cat or dog to avoid cars? To not curl up in a warm car engine on a cold day? It's great to say "You should" but maybe I should be able to speak 'cat' as well, then. It's just as achievable.

Probably best to just do what I've been doing, and keep my own eyes open in order to avoid animals that run into the road.
Xena: Poly. In relationships with Chops and Noa, and dating others.
Noa: Married, Poly. In relationships with Chops and Xena (individually).

Blog thread: A Mono's Journey Into Poly-Land (or, "Aw hell, there's no road map?!")
Slightly more polished blog with a mono/poly focus: From Baltic to Boardwalk

Last edited by YouAreHere; 11-16-2013 at 12:09 AM. Reason: extra letterererers

Tags
adults, animals, children, humans, pets