Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 11-14-2013, 12:38 PM

Murf learned early when spending the night here that this is Rosie my Russian blue's world and we are at her beck and call. He likes to sleep with the bedroom door shut. Yeah not acceptable to Rosie who will paw the door until you open said door. Also going to the bathroom alone is not an option.

Oh my dogs have a horrible life too. Our couch and recliner are very uncomfortable. They eat salmon for dinner we eat fish sticks. Getting people up every hour to go outside so they can go bark at everything that moves. Belly rubs are terrible too.
In a V relationship with an average 60/40 split of time. Only due to Murf's and Butch's crappy work schedules.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:53 PM

Just went to the doctor about my itchy red eyes of late. She believes it's my cats' fault. Not getting rid of them, but I might vacuum and do laundry more. Or not and just use the eye drops she prescribed. Why do work when there's drugs for that?

Got a referral for allergy testing. We'll see how that goes. I find that the problem is actually worse when I'm out in public though. Maybe I'm allergic to people. Can they test for that?

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 11-14-2013, 07:07 PM
Banned

I've got 2 cats and I'm allergic. I take tablets every day. Loratidine 10mg.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:09 PM

We have skin and shed dander so yes you can be allergic to people.

My Westie is allergic to people..lol He takes a Zyrtec everyday.
In a V relationship with an average 60/40 split of time. Only due to Murf's and Butch's crappy work schedules.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:56 PM

I'm allergic to other people's pets, depending on the pet (if that makes sense). I tend to acclimate to my own pets, unless they're in my face (usually my own fault). Sometimes sinus problems, sometimes hives, but nothing that lasts too long, luckily.

My youngest daughter, who is allergic, seems to be improving around the cats as well. She's pretty much lost the stuffy/runny/puffy nose thing now that she's used to them.

As for being allergic to people, I find that carrying around a small can of Lysol, spraying it at anyone who comes too close, and yelling, "UNCLEAN!" tends to act as a pretty good repellent. YMMV, of course.
Xena: Poly. In relationships with Chops and Noa, and dating others.
Noa: Married, Poly. In relationships with Chops and Xena (individually).

Blog thread: A Mono's Journey Into Poly-Land (or, "Aw hell, there's no road map?!")
Slightly more polished blog with a mono/poly focus: From Baltic to Boardwalk
Old 11-14-2013, 08:28 PM
Official Greeter

I find that yelling "FILTHY DELUDED COLONIALIST, THIS WON'T END WELL FOR YOU!" really gets those pesky hyperallergenic people to back away.

Re: door knobs ... perhaps those stick-out handle style knobs that you can just pull down on to get the door open? The old fashioned round ones sure suck for cats.

Eww, shredding the carpet! Meika does know how to get your attention.

Re: Schrödinger's equation ... ah thank God, I thought for sure the cat was gonna be dead.

Actually Meika proposes we put a human into "Schrödinger's box" and see how that works out. Is the human alive or dead? Who knows ... xe must be both alive and dead at the same time. [lick lick lick -- always keep one's paws ready for company]

@ YouAreHere ... back to bed with you, whilst your luck's in a state of perfection. Had I half a brain I'd turn back in too. Not feelin' so much on the top of my game today. Patches headbutting and nose-licking? That cat's not right in the head.

Re: Murf and Rosie ... bit of feline competition going on there. And no bathroom privacy? That's harsh. "Nope monkey human, this is our bathroom not yours. Just be glad we're even letting you use that toilet. (And the dry toilet paper too, but no tub for you, that's what we're occupying right now. You just be a good little colonialist American and arrogantly delude yourself into thinking that you're not filthy.)"

Haha, salmon for your dogs and fish sticks for you. Uh yep, more convinced every day that monkey humans are the most-enslaved victims here.

So these pets of ours "lose all (read: some?) of our respect" (cause how can we "respect" anything that has to let us hold them captive), but they certainly gain affection (read: "arrogant self-deluded pretense of love") from us in spades. Yes, they "tolerate" us and our crazy colonial notions we impose upon them, but as payment/punishment, they impose upon us a few fees of their own. Very dysfunctional relationship, no? Some kind of a ruthless business deal, or something.

Re: pet allergies ... so technology has now done yet another disservice to all animals (human and non alike) by giving us pills and eyedrops to work around the allergies so we can still practice our evil doting overprotective affections upon them. Thanks, corporate-enslaved scientists! Thanks for nothing.

Re: allergies to humans ... well that sucks since then you're also allergic to yourself. (I'm allergic to myself, but only in the psychological sense. Scientists are still scratching their heads trying to invent the right pill to solve my problem.)

Re: Westie ... one of the dogs? "You damned monkey humans are making me sneeze; can I get a hypoallergenic breed to replace you?"

And the crazy, mixed up world of monkey humans, cats, dogs (feral and/or not), livestock and poultry (mmmmm; meat, eggs, and cheese), wolves ("rescued" or not), wild animals (free to roam and get hunted down by humans or imprisoned in zoos), increasing human population and ever-deepening footprints in the air, lands, and seas of this hapless planet, continues, a fascinating ("Fascinating, Captain") evolutionary soap opera if nothing else. I think as long as it doesn't end with the extinction of all species, then there's still hope. Or not; lots of lifeless planets float around in space feeling just dandy (and not so infested with buggy creatures crawling all over them). Or do they get lonely? We'll never know.

Regards,
Kevin the lazy monkey boy.

Last edited by kdt26417; 11-14-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:46 PM

Actually we call my Westie, (aka West Highland White Terrier I also have 2 Scottish Terriers) whose proper name is Tyr, we call him Monkey.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:38 PM
Official Greeter

Hmmm. The monkeys calling the dog "Monkey." I wonder if that doesn't confuse everyone ...

"Oops! We fed Monkey a banana again. Darn it, and who keeps trying to buy him an artifical tree to swing from?"

So Tyr is his real name, whereas Westie is his pen name, right? (Such as while he's composing Polyamory.com posts and such. I wonder if I should do an advanced search for threads started by the user whose username is Westie ...)

Blissfully confused having had my banana today,
Kevin T.

Last edited by kdt26417; 11-14-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:45 PM

Our dog sleeps on the couch usually. It is most comfy for his body. He's a decently large dog.. somewhere in around 100 lbs. But-he always has to come to my room and check on me at night. He doesn't go outside at night. He's not interested in being in the cold. During the day he's in and out all day long. He particularly likes holidays when he eats whatever delectable meat we have cooked up.

I like his "hugs". When he was a puppy he would put his front paws on my hips and lay his head on my belly and we would hug. At his prime, he would put his paws on my shoulders. Now that he's older, he's back to the hips, but his head on my chest. So sweet.

He drives other people nuts cause he walks on a leash with no issues for me. He walks right at my side and is patient to my pace. But for other people he won't. He's not "trained". He's trained to me. He grew up while I was struggling with my neck issues and he learned to be right there by my side keeping track of my "ok-ness" as we walked or hung out. He's gentle and soft with me.

With kids-he's great unless they cry. Then he feels it is his dog-given duty to wash that salty nastiness off their face as they cry. No waiting til their done! LOL. The 5 month old was baffled when that first happened.. he couldn't figure out what that big mouth was that kept opening and wiping off his face. He stopped crying to stare. It was HILARIOUS!

Side thought-left in the wild, Forney would die. Due to his hips issues, he wouldn't be able to survive the elements or find food for himself. When we found him, he was locked up in the back of someone's car with the whole litter-being given away. Unfortunately, as the runt of the litter, he was struggling to even survive. He was covered in feces, hungry, and unable to get out of the box to the mama to be fed. The other puppies were literally killing him with their strength and ability-because he couldn't keep up.
We brought him home, cleaned him up and fed him. He loves salmon, ham, prime rib, crab meat... He loves people. He loves horses. He loves moose (and they love to bed down with him. Several moose babies born in the yard with him). He loves other dogs. He loves cats. He especially loves baby anything.

Last edited by LovingRadiance; 11-14-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:07 PM
Official Greeter

For scorecard purposes: Forney is the dog you speak of, right?

Awww -- he checks on you at night: "Must finish my guard dog duties for the night!"

What? A guard dog who hugs? Who's he fooling; he's a big ol' teddy bear.

Definitely a dog though who has decided that he has self-appointed duties and he reeeally takes them seriously. And hey: manages to quiet a crying five-month-old? That's virtually impossible for a human to do! That dog's got no small reserves of smarts of his own.

Wow, he really is a teddy bear. Perhaps his ordeal as a pup inspired him to show more love to all species than he was able to get way back then himself?

Especially loves baby anythings. Yeah, I'm thinking I may actually be onto something with the above paragraph. Will wonders never cease ...

Tags
adults, animals, children, humans, pets