Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 09-22-2016, 09:00 PM

Talking Metaphorically speaking...

I have an amazing Little Black Dress. I've had it for, wow, nearly 20 years, and it's always managed to make me feel amazing, no matter what shape or size I've been. It just fits in all the right places, the quality is fantastic and it shows no sign of wearing out any time soon - I love it.

All that being said, sometimes I like to wear other outfits, and I've always loved shopping . But lately I've been finding shopping a bit of a drag, and I come home empty handed more often than not. Loads of clothes I dismiss off the peg - clearly they won't fit me, or the quality's just not there, or the price too high. Some I try on but know straight away they just won't work.

And some of them I take home, but not long after, find that they don't fit the way I remembered in the shop, or they go baggy in the wash, or they look tired after just a few outings. This seems to be happening more and more lately and I don't know what to do about it.

Sometimes I buy a sensible pair of trousers, something I know I can wear a lot, that will look fine. But I don't enjoy wearing them the way I enjoy wearing a nice dress, I feel rather drab and plain, and I honestly can't understand why I can't find another dress like the LBD.

I'm thinking maybe I should change where I shop - I mean I tend to avoid internet shopping because you never know what you're going to get, but maybe I should look more closely at which clothes shops suit my style. Or maybe I should try somewhere completely different, or a style which I never thought would suit me?

Or maybe I just need to lower my expectations and change the way I look at myself in the mirror. Maybe I'll never find another LBD, but I can learn to feel fantastic in another outfit?

Perhaps it's that I need to learn to spend more - I have always been rather careful with my money...

Or maybe one day, quite by chance, I'll come across another LBD
Old 09-23-2016, 12:33 AM
Official Greeter

Hi learner,

I think LBD's are very rare, I have had two in my lifetime and consider myself very lucky. Nor do I need much more in the way of new clothes, it's fun to window-shop but I'm rarely more serious about it than that.

Does that make sense?
Sincerely,
Kevin T.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:45 AM

If it is a simple dress you might be able to afford to either have a seamstress make you others with similar cuts or get the ones you have that are almost right altered. If you have a friend who is good at sewing maybe you could do an exchange.

Leetah
Old 09-23-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetah View Post
If you have a friend who is good at sewing maybe you could do an exchange.
Metaphorically speaking, this is a charming solution to the LBD dilemma.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:33 PM
Spaminator

I primarily wear dresses or opt for skirts most days. I just don't feel feminine in pants or shorts. Jeans actually make me cringe whenever I put them on - but I do have a few pairs that I wear from time to time. I don't buy a lot of clothes either.

For me, the key is my bra. Mine wear out so stupid quick - every six months I'm tossing one out. I do wash them in the washer, but drip dry always, to try and extend their lives. If I am wearing an ill-fitting bra, I feel like the clothes on top don't sit right. And when my girls are up where they should be, I feel fabulous. Unfortunately, I have to pay around $50 a pop for the kind that fit correctly.

Me, center of a MFM V-shaped polycule (39F)
Wife to DarkKnight (41M) & PunkRockAwesomesauce (43M)

Last edited by Bluebird; 09-23-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdt26417 View Post
I think LBD's are very rare, I have had two in my lifetime and consider myself very lucky.
I agree, Kevin. When you find one, it's a wonderful thing when it can fit into your existing wardrobe. Very rare indeed.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:29 PM

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions - at the moment I feel both thankful that I have such an amazing LBD, and slightly jaded that finding something anywhere near as good is so difficult... I think working on my support garments is a great idea, and also not needing to rely on my clothing to feel great
Old 09-23-2016, 10:21 PM

Oops. Not read title, bad. Make silly statement. Funny in retrospect.

Leetah
Old 09-24-2016, 01:09 AM
Spaminator

I had the equivalent of that LBD for 22 years. Never found another like it. I do have a couple pairs of comfortable old jeans, but they are not suitable for daily wear. Now that my LBD has been destroyed, I contemplate roaming this world naked.
Elle 41/het/f flaky FWB...was dating seriously
Mary 53/het/f mono lifelong friend
MK 55/het/f ex-wife, ex-play partner+
Old 09-24-2016, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinsanity0 View Post
I contemplate roaming this world naked.
Okay, with you so far.