Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 02-08-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setxfamily View Post
Now as for the 8 year old kid who shot himself with an UZI. Well as the statement above says they need to be taught how to use them properly. It is my guess that the father was never taught how to use the properly for if he had been then he would have known that an UZI is way to powerful a weapon for an average 8 year-old to handle. I place the blame on the father not the gun maker. Would you give any of your kids the keys to your car if they did not know how to drive or were to young to even see over the wheel much less know how to handle a vehicle?
AGREE - No different the leaving your kid alone in a pool without knowing how to swim. Kids drown in seconds, even with adults standing right there.

The parent was NOT supervising, he was video taping, which is completely unresponsible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingRadiance View Post
I would have to agree with setx.
I live in alaska. By age 8 it's common for kids here to already be trained in firearm safety.
It's only slightly less common for them to already be hunting with the family to put food on the table.
My boy (who is 11) has been taking firearm safety classes since he was in Kindergarten, because they start it in cubscouts. By age 8 he was taking those classes through a hunters training program available here.
Additionally, all of our firearms are locked up (unloaded). The kids-even the three year old-have no access to them.

I would be highly offended by a gov't that tried to take my right to own firearms away-and honestly-would refuse to comply.
However, I'm also highly offended by individuals who don't get the necessary training before they pick up a firearm AND ensure that they use firearm safety regarding their children. Which includes never allowing access to a firearm to ANY PERSON who doens't know how to PROPERLY use, store and maintain it.
AGREED! I had similar experiences, but never actually took an official class. Then again, if you ever met my dad, you would know that a class would not have covered as much or put more fear of non-compliance than he did.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNeacail View Post
AGREED! I had similar experiences, but never actually took an official class. Then again, if you ever met my dad, you would know that a class would not have covered as much or put more fear of non-compliance than he did.
Then my dearie-you DID take a class. It just happened to be taught by your father.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNeacail View Post
My father was the same way. MY Lady never even touched a gun til she meet me but I quickly fixed that and now she is a better shot than I am with a pistol. Both of our kids know better than to even think about touching the guns and my son who is 12 now knows that all he has to do is ask and we will go down to the range just as soon as we can and squeeze off a few rounds in a safe protected environment.

I also knwo that where the media likes to make it sound slike there is open warfare in our streets it is actually very safe and quite in the vast majority of the cities around the U.S. and the folks are all great people who will go out of their way to help a stranger. Even though we live in a large city we really prefer the folks that live in small towns. We love their good strong family values.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:44 AM

I quite enjoy the idea of having a gun myself. For something like defense... But you have to realise, there are idiots out there who will do more harm than good. I'm willing to not have a gun so that no idiot can have one either. Instead, in this country. Most people turn to knife crime instead. Because, to be fair, you can find a ton of them in your kitchen. So what do I do? I keep an array of swords and knives in my bedroom. They look good as decorations and look even better if I were ever robbed by a knife-wielding idiot. ^_^ The majority of people killed by a knife here, are actually killed by their own knife. So sucks if you want to go round stabbing people. =P I'm also partly trained in karate and ju-jitsu combined with my own fighting style. I've lost maybe 2 fights in my life.

So yeah... I don't need a gun, I'll defend myself without.

As for hunting... Well that just something I'm not interested in. Hunt away!
=]
Old 02-09-2011, 03:48 AM

OH YES! Long sharp pointy things are great! We have a few of those as well.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:56 AM

Quote:
OH YES! Long sharp pointy things are great! We have a few of those as well.
My longest is only about half the size of me. [3ft] A nice katana. It's not sharp though. What I really want is a Viking Longsword.
=]
Old 02-09-2011, 11:16 AM

I appreciate the insight all - thanks !

I'm off and away for a pre-holiday holiday. I will think about the responses though. I do feel more educated about a number of things, why people value the right to own firearms as an example.

That's not something that is important to me - But it's useful to understand why that may be important to other people.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:34 PM

Talking

Yup. But then there's folks like us, where the only "guns" you'll find are Nail guns....Staple Guns....Glue guns....Heat guns.....Rivet Guns...

("M" likes to think he's Home Depot's best customer on earth! )
Old 02-09-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RfromRMC View Post
Yup. But then there's folks like us, where the only "guns" you'll find are Nail guns....Staple Guns....Glue guns....Heat guns.....Rivet Guns...
A lot of damage can be done with a nail gun. Just ask a good friend of mine when he accidently nailed his hand to the floor. OUCH!

I have a custom made sword and dagger set that was made for me a long time ago plus many others as well. I use to have more until we had a bunch of stuff stollen during a move including a viking long sword and battle axe. We had a two handed claymore, several fencing swords, but my main preference is daggers.

Johns Hopkins Student Kills Burglar With Samurai Sword
Old 02-09-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
A lot of damage can be done with a nail gun. Just ask a good friend of mine when he accidently nailed his hand to the floor. OUCH!

I have a custom made sword and dagger set that was made for me a long time ago plus many others as well. I use to have more until we had a bunch of stuff stollen during a move including a viking long sword and battle axe. We had a two handed claymore, several fencing swords, but my main preference is daggers.

Johns Hopkins Student Kills Burglar With Samurai Sword
Love the story at the end there. Something like that over here, would unfortunately have the law on there side. Which is completely stupid. Everyone has a right to defend their property, even if you have to kill them as a last resort. They certainly won't be coming round stealing my stuff again will they? =P

That's one thing I'd love to see change over here.

That's a bummer that you had some cool stuff stolen yourself. I'm lucky to never have been robbed so far. Most of my expensive gear is in my bedroom though. One of the last places someone will go when they want to rob a place. They can take my awful TV in the living room, they will be lucky to get anything for it. That's if they can even carry it out of the house. =P
=]