Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 01-23-2011, 12:30 PM

Default A general discussion about redheads

I'm interested in this as I have red hair. And it has come up elsewhere.

I've had partners that are almost fetish-like in their red-haired devotion. I've also come across people who say "oh, are people scared of you because they think you are deeply, seriously big with your emotional state ?"

ie. an expectation that all may be extreme (anger, passion etc). I'm interested in sterotypes I guess, and investigations as to basis of them..

And there are some interesting studies about pain thresholds etc. It does seems weird, but there may be some genetic differences when it comes to us. I've also read of it being a "defective" gene...

And you only need to change a few letters to make that word "effective"

thoughts ?
Old 01-23-2011, 03:00 PM

I enjoy occasionally being able to rely on the old stereotype of being "blonde," when I want something explained more or in a different way, because it affords some humor and helps me reach my goal. Generally though, I think stereotypes are bad, because giving them any credence prevents one from looking beneath the surface for understanding. Stereotyping is a lazy way of perceiving others. There is nothing about my hair color that gives you clues about my personality, level of intelligence, or depth of feeling. At best, if one has gray hair, you may be able to guess they are no longer in their twenties, but even then, you'd sometimes be wrong.

I can understand the interest. I find astrology interesting. I like symbolism in general. I just don't give it much credence
Old 01-23-2011, 07:43 PM

You know there are actually groups that have a hate on for redheads... or gingers.

I just did a search for "ginger haters" sad, very sad... lots more there than I actually thought there would be.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:55 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofCoIWMbbvc
Old 01-23-2011, 08:33 PM

I wonder if the stereotypical image of the "hot tempered redhead" has something to do with the old notions of the body being controlled by balances of humours... red = fire = yellow bile (srsly) = easily angered.

I've not heard about the redhead gene being "defective" but do know that it's pretty unusual in being both recessive and dominant (it can hide away for generations, but once it emerges it's there for a looooong time).

I do tend to find redheads more immediately attractive than other women. No idea why.

Atomic Tangerine - Guitar and amp blog.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:50 PM

I LOVE redheads!
LOVE red hair.

WISH I'd been born with redhair.

And I LOVE freckles!!!

Oh that dewy, soft, white skin with little freckles taking over! OMG.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:32 PM

Groups that dislike redheads = very sad indeed.

Also agree that stereotypes are not that helpful.

But the studies on pain thresholds are interesting as there seems to be indications that a gene linked to hair colour also has some sort of link to how someone feels pain......or more basically - feeling in general.

Which would seem to indicate at some level that there could in fact be a physical basis to a stereotype...Which could, of course, potentially be true of all sorts of physical attributes.

Dangerous conversation though. Years ago scientists were determined to discover the "gay gene"...and I feel there is merit in understanding but it's only a thin line from wanting understanding and knowledge to various groups with narrow agendas wanting to "fix" what they see as a problem.

The science itself is not a problem, but the application of it can be at the whim of various groups with various agendas. Discrimination with a touch of flimsy science behind it is a dangerous, unpleasant, hateful thing..

And cheers to those who write with appreciation of redheads
Old 01-23-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella123456 View Post
Groups that dislike redheads = very sad indeed.

Also agree that stereotypes are not that helpful.
Just a quick note. You can blame the ginger men who feed the stereotype. I know a few, and they all fit the stereotype. Either by choice or by nature. I don't know. This is 100% of the gingers I know. Mind you its a handful of people.

And...I think, every red headed female I know describes themselves as firecrackers, or angry or some other term to enlighten us to their temperaments.

So, maybe its own group needs to start debunking its stereotypes.

Ftr...I have a thing for red heads. I have never met one into me. Luckily I have been with women who fit the red head stereotype...I haven't ever regretted it either...
Old 01-23-2011, 11:28 PM

I spent most of my teens and early twenties being the blonde with big boobs. OMG the stereo types! All very annoying. Its like I wasn't even allowed to have an intelligent conversation.

I have been a redhead by choice now for years.

So much for blondes having more fun!
Old 01-24-2011, 09:39 AM

Location: :P Cautiously looking around this new world that seems to fit...

I'm a redhead - both ... assisted.... and naturally (strawberry blonde - I prefer my hair to be startling though)...

To the stereotype - I am passionate, quick to anger - quick to forgive, otherwise generally bouncy and happy-go-lucky :P

my pain tolerance is huge... although conversely my ability to feel pain is just as huge - once i do feel the pain... it can be overwhelming. (that goes for both emotional and physical pain)

Engaged to my sweetheart, WaterWolf

my blog (non-poly) Pearls & Pixiedust