Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09-25-2013, 02:46 PM
london london is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: UK - land of the free
Posts: 1,635
Default

Quote:
Moving in together is no assumption of longevity?
Remember they are only FWBs so they probably only have a roommate type arrangement.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-25-2013, 03:03 PM
Marcus's Avatar
Marcus Marcus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Richardson, TX
Posts: 1,357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappened View Post
Moving in together is no assumption of longevity?
Not that I'm aware of. Moving in together suggests that we think we will get along in a roommate situation (sharing space, splitting bills), otherwise it didn't do anything to alter the expectations about our relationship or how long it will last.

IV and I have talked explicitly about how we view our relationship and the assumptions (or lack thereof) about how long it is likely to last. Our relationship will last as long as it remains healthy and fun for both of us. Once it becomes work or unpleasant for one or both of us in a non-temporary way then it will change at that point - possibly be dissolved entirely if the issue is fundamental.
__________________
Me: male, 40, straight, single
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-25-2013, 03:07 PM
WhatHappened WhatHappened is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 826
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Not that I'm aware of. Moving in together suggests that we think we will get along in a roommate situation (sharing space, splitting bills), otherwise it didn't do anything to alter the expectations about our relationship or how long it will last.

IV and I have talked explicitly about how we view our relationship and the assumptions (or lack thereof) about how long it is likely to last. Our relationship will last as long as it remains healthy and fun for both of us. Once it becomes work or unpleasant for one or both of us in a non-temporary way then it will change at that point - possibly be dissolved entirely if the issue is fundamental.
But you expected it to last at least long enough to make it worth the time and expense of a moving truck.

Do you foresee a time when you might simply be roommates?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-25-2013, 03:19 PM
Marcus's Avatar
Marcus Marcus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Richardson, TX
Posts: 1,357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappened View Post
But you expected it to last at least long enough to make it worth the time and expense of a moving truck.
Like any relationship (romantic or otherwise) if things are going well it would seem reasonable to assume that it will last for a little while at least. It would be reductionist of me to treat life as if nothing could be counted on simply because I avoid functioning by obligation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappened View Post
Do you foresee a time when you might simply be roommates?
Roommate vs girlfriend is pretty much decided by the presence of romantic interest, as far as I'm concerned. So if the romance is completely gone from our relationship then we'd just be roommates or friends (in the case that we don't live together anymore).
__________________
Me: male, 40, straight, single
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-25-2013, 07:25 PM
InsaneMystic InsaneMystic is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 260
Default

People aren't cake... I neither want to have nor to eat them. Just spend some quality time with them out of everyone's free choice.


Give me a slice of poppyseed cake or Black Forest Cherry any old time though. Explicitly for eating, not just for having. Mmmmh.

#AsexualStereotype ... but it fits me like a glove, in this case.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-25-2013, 09:39 PM
kdt26417's Avatar
kdt26417 kdt26417 is offline
Official Greeter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Yelm, Washington
Posts: 11,921
Default

I'm gonna refrain from jokes about "eating people" ...

Wo-ho! Black forest cherry! I never realized it was gonna be *this* good ...

Darn it; and here I said I was gonna refrain from such jokes.
__________________
Love means never having to say, "Put down that meat cleaver!"
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-25-2013, 09:49 PM
InsaneMystic InsaneMystic is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdt26417 View Post
I'm gonna refrain from jokes about "eating people" ...
Actually a totally intended pun, for once.

However... did I miss a more subtle one with the Black Forest?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-25-2013, 09:55 PM
kdt26417's Avatar
kdt26417 kdt26417 is offline
Official Greeter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Yelm, Washington
Posts: 11,921
Default

Just following your lead ... (think "dining at the Y" ... with unexpected desserts!)
__________________
Love means never having to say, "Put down that meat cleaver!"
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-25-2013, 10:26 PM
InsaneMystic InsaneMystic is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 260
Default

...
... uhm.
... Iiiiiii think I'll just take the cake, thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-25-2013, 10:35 PM
kdt26417's Avatar
kdt26417 kdt26417 is offline
Official Greeter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Yelm, Washington
Posts: 11,921
Default

Wow ... you're a "straight to the dessert" type of guy.
__________________
Love means never having to say, "Put down that meat cleaver!"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:04 PM.