Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 09-25-2013, 04:03 AM

I assume that in relation to open marriages, the expression means wanting it both ways--the safety, comfort, and stability of a marriage, someone to come home to, someone permanent and safe, and also continuing to have the fun and excitement of dating and romancing new people.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappened View Post
I assume that in relation to open marriages, the expression means wanting it both ways--the safety, comfort, and stability of a marriage, someone to come home to, someone permanent and safe, and also continuing to have the fun and excitement of dating and romancing new people.
Eww... if that is correct, then I don't want any of that cake... the pro-obligation folks are welcome to it lol

Me: male, 40, straight, single
Old 09-25-2013, 06:05 AM

Marcus ...

I thought you were the cake
Old 09-25-2013, 12:36 PM

Wait - what? Marcus is the cake? Where do I line up for a slice?

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

An excellent blog post on hierarchy in polyamory:
solopoly.net/2014/10/31/why-im-not-a-secondary-partner-the-short-version/
Old 09-25-2013, 12:58 PM

Or is Marcus perhaps the one who takes the cake? Then we'll have to go find him.

Marcus, I never mentioned obligation. I said the comfort, safety, and stability....of someone to come home to. Don't you have that with IV? Yet you're free to date, too.

In fact, to many people it would appear exactly THAT you have all the benefits with none of the obligations.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Or is Marcus perhaps the one who takes the cake? Then we'll have to go find him.
There's a MacArthur Park joke in there somewhere, but I'm leaving that one alone.

Quote:
Marcus, I never mentioned obligation. I said the comfort, safety, and stability....of someone to come home to. Don't you have that with IV? Yet you're free to date, too.

In fact, to many people it would appear exactly THAT you have all the benefits with none of the obligations.
Dingdingdingdingding...
You're spot on here, WH. "You're getting this and you're not following the rules and putting in the same amount of work/sacrifice that *I* am! That's not fair!"

In relationships, at work ("Why did HE get promoted when I've been here longer?"), in traffic ("How DARE you drive up the breakdown lane and squeeze in in front of me!"). It's the sense that you're not playing by the rules and you're getting ahead anyway. That you're cheating the system while the rest of society does what they "should".

And it leads to bitterness and a sense of being wronged somehow, even when they're not involved (as in the case of my friends).

Relationship road rage?
Xena: Poly. In relationships with Chops and Noa, and dating others.
Noa: Married, Poly. In relationships with Chops and Xena (individually).

Blog thread: A Mono's Journey Into Poly-Land (or, "Aw hell, there's no road map?!")
Slightly more polished blog with a mono/poly focus: From Baltic to Boardwalk
Old 09-25-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreHere View Post
There's a MacArthur Park joke in there somewhere, but I'm leaving that one alone.
Good song, well worthy of jokes great melody, but I prefer Al's lyrics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv0hqrucYD4

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreHere View Post
Dingdingdingdingding...
You're spot on here, WH. "You're getting this and you're not following the rules and putting in the same amount of work/sacrifice that *I* am! That's not fair!"

In relationships, at work ("Why did HE get promoted when I've been here longer?"), in traffic ("How DARE you drive up the breakdown lane and squeeze in in front of me!"). It's the sense that you're not playing by the rules and you're getting ahead anyway. That you're cheating the system while the rest of society does what they "should".

And it leads to bitterness and a sense of being wronged somehow, even when they're not involved (as in the case of my friends).

Relationship road rage?
I guess my experience or understanding is not that anyone's bitter or feeling wronged, but simply scratching their head. What's the point of being married if you still want to date? And isn't it true that poly gives both: the stability of marriage, the excitement of dating? This is all the phrase means.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingedheart View Post
Marcus ... I thought you were the cake
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Wait - what? Marcus is the cake? Where do I line up for a slice?
Quote:
you guys!

Quote:
Marcus, I never mentioned obligation. I said the comfort, safety, and stability....of someone to come home to. Don't you have that with IV? Yet you're free to date, too. In fact, to many people it would appear exactly THAT you have all the benefits with none of the obligations.
"Stability of marriage" and "someone permanent" screams of obligation to me. What is more stable about marriage when compared to a girlfriend? What makes someone permanent? The only thing I can imagine is obligation, either explicit (marriage) or implied (assumption of longevity).

I do have someone to come home to, safety, comfort, and a sense of stability, and I feel that I can enjoy these things because there is no assumption of permanence either through promise or contract. Contracts or promises of permanence would only serve to make the nature of our association less genuine - hence my "Eeeew"

When it comes to relationships, if it's not cake, I'm not eating it

Me: male, 40, straight, single
Old 09-25-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

"Stability of marriage" and "someone permanent" screams of obligation to me. What is more stable about marriage when compared to a girlfriend? What makes someone permanent? The only thing I can imagine is obligation, either explicit (marriage) or implied (assumption of longevity).

I do have someone to come home to, safety, comfort, and a sense of stability, and I feel that I can enjoy these things because there is no assumption of permanence either through promise or contract. Contracts or promises of permanence would only serve to make the nature of our association less genuine - hence my "Eeeew"
Moving in together is no assumption of longevity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
When it comes to relationships, if it's not cake, I'm not eating it
What if it's a relationship with Marie Antoinette?
Old 09-25-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
What if it's a relationship with Marie Antoinette?
Nah. Marcus doesn't seem the type to lose his head.

(Insert Fozzie Bear graphic here...)
Xena: Poly. In relationships with Chops and Noa, and dating others.
Noa: Married, Poly. In relationships with Chops and Xena (individually).

Blog thread: A Mono's Journey Into Poly-Land (or, "Aw hell, there's no road map?!")
Slightly more polished blog with a mono/poly focus: From Baltic to Boardwalk